Question about non matching engine number and insurance

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

ChargingForward

Question about non matching engine number and insurance

Post by ChargingForward »

Hoping I can get some help with a question I'm having trouble getting answered. I'm in the process of insuring my charger, on the V5C it's registered with the 7.2l v8 but the car originally had a 5.7l v8.

As it states the 7.2l v8 on the V5C would I need to claim this as a modification to the insurance company even though it's registered with that engine? Cheers for any help! :D
elevensies

Re: Question about non matching engine number and insurance

Post by elevensies »

worth calling RH insurance, and asking the questions, they are very helpful, unlike the DVLA where you will hit numerous blockers.
if its on the V5 as a 7.2, regardless of what it started with, its currently registered as a 7.2.
did you do the work yourself to alter it?

wouldnt worry,
MMA 117

support our paras
"Utrinque Paratus"
https://www.justgiving.com/paracharity
ChargingForward

The Engine was replaced professionally years ago by a previous owner so the car itself has been registered for a long while with the 7.2. I've received a quote from Brentacre at £345 but that's without claiming the engine 'modification', I was just curious if it would throw up any red flags in the future should the worst happen. Cheers for the reply its put my mind at ease :D
Blue

Post by Blue »

If a car is fitted with an engine that was an option when new I don't see any problems with insuring it as stock. If you want to tell your insurance co. your car is modified I'm sure they will be happy to charge you more money :D
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

From personal experience, with Brentacre, if you tell them it's been modified (which of course it has, albeit some time ago), I expect they will ask you what hp the engine now has. This may or may not increase their quote. They quoted me about the same as you for our 69 Plymouth, which has an agree value well below yours I suspect!
In the end I went with RH cos they quoted about that amount for both our cars... :study:
DaveBishop

Post by DaveBishop »

The other thing you have to remember is that in american car dealerships at the time you could bought a new car that was a 318 say but really wanted a 440 and they couldn't get one from the factory they would change the engine so as not to miss out on a deal.
2 x 1969 Dodge Darts
ChargingForward

Cheers for the replies, I think I'll leave the quote as is. I've already provided them with the HP of the car and stated very clearly its registered as a 7.2 so I'm not exactly telling them any fibs. Thanks for the help :D