1973 Plymouth Roadrunner

A place to show off your Pride and Joy

Moderator: Moderators

RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Cheers Gary, you're too kind :oops:

They're both 'Rob & Stu's' cars tho - I couldnt afford a whole one ;)
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

RobTwin wrote:Cheers Gary, you're too kind :oops:

They're both 'Rob & Stu's' cars tho - I couldnt afford a whole one ;)
Half each of each car
A definite twin thing !
And both a credit to you both. !! :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

OK two very exciting and necessary additions to the car!!
Finally, just maybe dumb asses will stop saying 'oh look, Starsky and Hutch car, in blue!'

thanks to Dunc for the badge :thumbright:
Attachments
crittar.jpg
crittar.jpg (41.24 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
badge.jpg
badge.jpg (51.97 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
Jem

Post by Jem »

You sorted out the parcel shelf yet Miles? :lol:
"Nah!"
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Not yet, but I haven't forgotten the conversation. Still looking for a bleached out 1973 towel to stick on it 8-)
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Actually Jem! I do have some classic old Levi's that I could put on that shelf.. ;)
Jem

Post by Jem »

Job done! :thumbright:
"Nah!"
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Did not know you had this Miles...... Musta got it when I was on me MOPAR holidays...... Funny, I have been looking at some of the later model Mopars lately, and liking them...... I used to,disregard em all.... Not any more. Liking that......

Was looking at a real cool renegade yesterday, only $200' needs a new trans... But liking the Fwd one as well.... That funny fella used to be on here had a cole I think?!
I am keeping this Mopar....... SOLD!
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

I've been priced out of the sought after cars, but also there is a touch of overkill. I like Chargers, but there are so many now, same with 68-70 cars in general. My choice would be a 62-65 Super Stock car, but if not I'm happy with the muscular shape of the car I've got now; and it drives nicely too. Has real brakes and roll bars and the steering is quite tight and doesn't wander.

Doesn't have to be mopar for me! I like those Falcons that Dave Madders bought in recently
More variety the better :thumbright:
Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

How ya finding the 340? Notice a huge amount of difference between a 318 and the later 340's?

MilesnMiles wrote:I've been priced out of the sought after cars, but also there is a touch of overkill. I like Chargers, but there are so many now, same with 68-70 cars in general. My choice would be a 62-65 Super Stock car, but if not I'm happy with the muscular shape of the car I've got now; and it drives nicely too. Has real brakes and roll bars and the steering is quite tight and doesn't wander.

Doesn't have to be mopar for me! I like those Falcons that Dave Madders bought in recently
More variety the better :thumbright:
I'm here because Im not all there!!

Save the tree's.........Burn Rubber!!
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Andy, much more power. The 340 in mine is built with high comp pistons, bigger cam. The heads are stock J heads, but next week a pair of Indy LA big valve, ported heads with closed combustion chambers etc are heading my way. Should wake it up.
They are a noticeably revvy engine, quite different than the 360s I've had.
It's not super fast in that big B body, but it can get out of its own way as the yanks say!
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

The new headliner thread bit!
OK, so i wanted to do headliner despite it being a bit of a bugga by all accounts. I sourced new headliner bows from Dante's and the headliner via Summit. Finally opened the box to find wrong headliner last summer. complained to Summit but they wouldn't refund any shipping costs. The headliner was 3" too short and the some of the bow sections would not line up. I put it back in the box.
Time passed
Decided this was the week to have ago, atrial fit and as the headliner came with spare material my miss offered to sew an extra section to lengthen the headliner.
so, onto the trial fit.
Th essential thing is to start at the rear. I made a couple of wire retainers that would tie the rearmost bow to the rear window frame. This then allowed me to pull the headliner forward without the rear bo rotating over.
Attachments
start.jpg
start.jpg (34.46 KiB) Viewed 4948 times
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

The design to mount the headliner at each end is excellent. Multiple small spikes exist under the window trim. So I stretched the headliner forward and realised the front two bows were not going to line up with their holes. Out with the handy drill and create new bow locations without actually drilling through the roof. With all bows now correctly spaced I stretched the headliner to the front screen to see how short it would fall.
I managed to get just 5mm stretched onto the front spikes. Bingo, its going to fit after all :thumbright: 5mm is all you need!
Attachments
rear.jpg
rear.jpg (22.49 KiB) Viewed 4940 times
new bow hole.jpg
new bow hole.jpg (38.86 KiB) Viewed 4940 times
bits to remember.jpg
bits to remember.jpg (48.41 KiB) Viewed 4940 times
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

With full tension now in place I attached the rear screen section and turned my attention to how to fit the headliner along the sides by the door frames.
This is much harder as there are no attaching spikes along the door frames. I used a quite brilliant headliner glue (ask me if you want to know, its in the shed now ) and bulldog clips. This worked well, but things got really tricky under the C pillars. Whatever I did i ended up with ripples that were near impossible to remove. Probably spent 3 hours in total trying to get something respectable done here :shock:
Attachments
tricky corner.jpg
tricky corner.jpg (33.71 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
trouble in the corner.jpg
trouble in the corner.jpg (34.2 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

in the end I did best as I could. I have only tacked the liner down below the C sail panels so I can return to it if I need to once its all settled down.
The remaining pics show the finished article.
Don;t be too critical :? as the light really exaggerates the ripple effect. These are already diminishing somewhat since I took the pics as I understand that the vinyl will shrink with the car left i the sun.
Took me about 10 hrs but that includes multiple measurements because the headliner was wrongly supplied.
Whole interior looks much nicer now and brings a bit of light into the car.
Well worth the effort 8-)

Now for installing those TTI headers..
Attachments
fini.jpg
fini.jpg (33.49 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
sea of blue.jpg
sea of blue.jpg (29.01 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
loking better.jpg
loking better.jpg (42.48 KiB) Viewed 4929 times