1973 Plymouth Roadrunner

A place to show off your Pride and Joy

Moderator: Moderators

Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

MilesnMiles wrote:Moss,it's had a cheap $200 spray ober at some point, plus original paint and bare metal. I've tried polishing and cutting to no avail, so Gibbs it is :)
:thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Thought I should update the build details on my car as the tend to be littered about the site on different threads.
Edited March 2017
Motor
1972 340 block +30
Eagle rotating system
Mahle forged pistons 10 1
Xe268 comp cam
RHS/INDY cylinder heads machined and ported from IMM Engines
Air gap inlet
Mopar Lecce ignition
TTI headers and dual exhaust with Dynomax boxes
650 Speed Demon carb with annular boosters
2,400 JW convertor
727 Dunc built with TF2 shift kit, new prop and UJs
489 rear open with 3.23 gears
Last edited by MilesnMiles on Sun Mar 05, 17 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Dart

Post by Johnny Dart »

Miles, is the engine all up and running in your car now ?
What's it like ?
I have all the bits for a similar build.
Well some
Cheers Johnny :oops:
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Johnny it runs strong. No strip time so can't prove it,but seat of the pants tells me it's a decent combo. In truth more gears and convertor would be good, but that's down the road a bit. I do know that the addition of good heads and inlet/headers to a stock 340 motor is a major improvement.
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Haven't updated this thread for a while. Sold the car last May, bought in back in December and been busy on it ever since. Replaced much of the ignition and charging system over winter and just refitted the propshaft today.
Had it rebuild and balanced plus a new slip yoke (from a Bristol) that work was undertaken by H Chard in Bristol who can balance huge boat props so my job was realively simple.

Next few threads will be with pics and are on the joys of stripping ou the steering column etc to fit a new ignition switch.
Attachments
IMG_0258.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG (73.94 KiB) Viewed 6751 times
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

So I decided to replace the ignition switch. This is not a short job. Lots of parts to remove but besides a three leg puller nothing special needed.
I had to drop the column so as to get the switch wiring and connector block out of and then into the headset area which is a tight fit.
After much time test fitting I finally started to put it back together only to find that the steering lock hits the new switch :evil:
There's no leeway for error so I assume that the aftermarket switch is a fraction bigger than the original one and so I had to settle for removing the steering lock otherwise it catches badly on the switch and would soon gauge a chunk out of it.
Don't need the steering lock, but getting that ring on and off and trying to get the very tough oil in and out is no fun.
Next step is to adapt the wiring to accept the new ignition switch, it's not just a straight swap and plug and play. More fun
:? to come.
Attachments
IMG_0267.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG (143.99 KiB) Viewed 6736 times
IMG_0268.JPG
IMG_0268.JPG (144.46 KiB) Viewed 6736 times
IMG_0269.JPG
IMG_0269.JPG (152.42 KiB) Viewed 6735 times
Pete

Post by Pete »

Good pictures Miles, I want to get rid of the steering lock on my Challenger, similar vinatage, I hate the steering lock :evil:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Pete wrote:Good pictures Miles, I want to get rid of the steering lock on my Challenger, similar vinatage, I hate the steering lock :evil:
Its handy on the big Dodge Pete, wire the ignition up to another switch, burn the baby out, stage it n pull the key out that lock keeps the car nice n straight along that old black rubber strip,, ;) ;) ;)
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Pete

Post by Pete »

errrrr, No.

;) ;) ;) ;)
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Interesting idea Dunc
:shock:
Pete, it's easy enough to do. Driving that pin out is a bit tricky without hitting the housing but once half out I used molegrips to close the split part of the pin and out she came. I then used a puller and the ring came off easy.
Has to come out to get the switch in/out.
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Back in black. Decided to paint the headlamp surrounds. Looks better and the body lines stand out more
Attachments
IMG_1865.JPG
IMG_1865.JPG (143.67 KiB) Viewed 6510 times
Mick70RR

Post by Mick70RR »

Be warned, the steering lock comes on when you switch the ignition off, not when you remove the key. I found this out the hard way. The idea was to check the plugs after a full power run down a stretch of dual carriageway near me. There was a layby at the end of a long straight and slight left hand bend. I cut the ignition at about 100mph and started to coast round the bend towards the layby when the steering lock came on and I drifting across the road with an lorry coming the other way. Just managed to switch the ignition on again. Nearly Bananarama! myself.
1970 Road Runner, 505CI, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears.
11.98 @ 117mph on street tyres
Pete

Post by Pete »

....which is why I have removed the lock on the Challenger.

I know a guy who had the steering lock come on in a '70 'Cuda down a country road at around 80mph,,,ended up in a field, missed everything "hard"....lucky escape,,,,
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

My steering lock is now in a box on the shelf. I don't miss it.