Steering column rebuild

Moderator: Moderators

kma176

Steering column rebuild

Post by kma176 »

I'm rebuilding my steering column 71'B'body-I have a couple of columns to hand both are column change -my one is floor change-the longer of the columns has a bearing fitted at the base to secure the inner shaft,looking online you can buy lower bearings for mine with 2 or 3 bolt fittings to secure in place , my original never had one-they just flop around and rely on the plastic bush and the fixing to the box.
Is the lower bearing a modification-I can't see any reason not to fit a lower bearing.
Anyone come across this before??? :-k
Regards
Kev
ScottyDave

Re: Steering column rebuild

Post by ScottyDave »

My 73 Charger has a roller bearing in a alloy housing at the bottom of the inner shaft. You can see it in this picture, from what I read online I was expecting a plastic bush and was surprised to find the bearing. Although from 73 on there were a few changes in the front end on these 3rd gens.
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
kma176

Post by kma176 »

Yes Dave
Mine has the bearing in the alloy housing - but it was the bearing at the bottom of the metal housing where it passes through the bulkhead.
Regards
Kev
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Can't speak to Chargers specifically but they did add a lower bearing on later columns. Not exactly sure why, if you think about it the column is supported at the top by a bearing and at the bottom by the steering coupler, but for sure they would not have spent to money if they did not think it was an improvement. Maybe it was to coincide with the isolated K-Frame - this would allow movement of the steering box I guess?
I think the lower plastic bushing is really just there to keep water out by holding a seal in place.
This is from memory, worth getting confirmation....
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

kma176 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 18 10:00 am Yes Dave
Mine has the bearing in the alloy housing - but it was the bearing at the bottom of the metal housing where it passes through the bulkhead.
Regards
Kev
Yes that is the end I ment, the bearing is in a alloy carrier which fixes into the lower tube end of the column that ends up in the engine bay after passing through the bulkhead. Don't know what the arrangement is on your bulkhead for securing the column as I have the ISO bushed front end.
Mine has a plate fixed by 3 bolts to bulkhead through which the column passes, there's a kinda oval plate and o ring arrangement that fixes my column to that bulkhead plate.

Cheers Dave
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
Blue

Post by Blue »

I’ve come across more without a bearing than with. I have used them both ways without incident.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
kma176

Post by kma176 »

Thanks for the replies
Looks like mine didn't have one originally - the one I have is in plastic housing so as I have one think I might as well fit it!!

Kev