Radiator

Moderator: Moderators

three counties

Radiator

Post by three counties »

Hi all, thinking about changing my stock radiator,to a alloy one, the one I have is a 22 inch,had it recored years ago, still works fine, haven't been able to get a shroud for it, the only time the temperature went up was when I got stuck in traffic on a hot day,but it still ran ok, have been looking at the champion radiators,has anyone got one of these fitted , and would they recommend it, also ,do you have to order from the states,any information about this please
morgan

Re: Radiator

Post by morgan »

I swapped a 22" mopar to a 26" champion allow - rated to 600ish HP I think. This is on 68 charger.
It was easy enough, the only thing really is that your 'gap' at the front of the car is too narrow which means the rad overlaps it - but it doesnt really matter. I'll find some pics.

The only other drama I had was that because of how I had to mount mine (other stuff in the way) the rad is central but the engine fan is not - which leaves a fairly hefty offset for a shroud. Again, it just means mounting the shroud offset.

But the rad is fine. It has the oil cooler in there too if you use. It was pretty much bolt and go - I'd recommend at the price point.
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Matt

Post by Matt »

If you obtain or fabricate a shroud for your existing radiator, it's likely to solve your traffic overheating problem. Shrouds for 22" rads are available.

Easier than changing the rad, surely ?

Any rad should be fitted with a shroud to cool effectively at tickover.
three counties

Post by three counties »

thanks for the reply,s.when I had the radiator recored,i thought it was the original ,stock one,as it was fitted in the right place,ect,but when I looked around for a plastic shroud,i found out that I only had 5 numbers stamped on the top of it,but I will have a go at making a shroud for it,carnt do anything at the moment,as I have pulled the engine out,have got dave,on here,checking it out for me,
morgan

Post by morgan »

Oh, I've also sprung for a new water pump on the advice of the twins. 'Flowkooler' or something - supposed to double the rate. I'll let you know if this improves things.

RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

morgan wrote: Tue Jan 21, 20 10:32 am Oh, I've also sprung for a new water pump on the advice of the twins. 'Flowkooler' or something - supposed to double the rate. I'll let you know if this improves things.
Yep - this one: :thumbright:

https://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/pr ... water-pump
three counties

Post by three counties »

Thanks Rob, have just sent them a email, regarding the water pump, to be honest,I didn't know anything about them
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

three counties wrote: Tue Jan 21, 20 12:17 pm Thanks Rob, have just sent them a email, regarding the water pump, to be honest,I didn't know anything about them
I read an article in Mopar Muscle last year where they fitted one to a street-driven 800 hp hemi, to help give max cooling with an OEM style 26" rad, so thought it should help our stroked 440

Haven't fitted it yet tho so cant report on how much help it is :oops: :lol:

I got ours from Summit:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRA-1679
morgan

Post by morgan »

I might put mine in this week. Here it is...
Attachments
flowkool.jpg
flowkool.jpg (24.02 KiB) Viewed 1417 times

Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

I fitted a Flowkooler pump to my Road Runner last year,it runs noticeably cooler than before, I changed the Stat as well for a larger flow capacity and earlier opening temperature. I plan to have my 22’ Radiator triple cored too so it still looks broadly stock and fits the hole. Fan shroud is a good call.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Captain Chaos wrote: Tue Jan 21, 20 7:00 pm I fitted a Flowkooler pump to my Road Runner last year,it runs noticeably cooler than before, I changed the Stat as well for a larger flow capacity and earlier opening temperature. I plan to have my 22’ Radiator triple cored too so it still looks broadly stock and fits the hole. Fan shroud is a good call.
Yep, fan shroud is a must :thumbright:
morgan

Post by morgan »

See new thread for pics -