Kick down setting 68 Charger

Moderator: Moderators

Roger S

Kick down setting 68 Charger

Post by Roger S »

Hi all

I have the Lokar kickdown Kit fitted to my charger (not by me) I had the carb and linkage off and want to ensure it is set correctly.
Reading various quotes on the web and the Lokar instructions it says, have the carb at WOT and pull the kickdown cable to max and lock off, this apparently sets the trans pressure pump as it should be.

When I release the throttle to rest, I have a gap of almost an 1/8 inch from the stop and slight slack on the kickdown cable, the Lokar instructions say I should have no gap, should I adjust this out ? What effect will it have if I do ?

I had no gear change issues previous other than than it appeared to hold in 2nd a tad longer than I would like. I have not taken her out since setting things up again although it does appear to be set much the same as it was previous although there was no gap on the stop or slack on the cable.

Is there any adjustment I can safely make to have it change up to 3rd a little quicker or does the kickdown have no bearing on change speed ?

I just want to ensure it is set correctly as I do not want to do any damage to the trans.

Thanks

Rog
Started with an MGB in 2004, then built a Cobra Rep with a Chevy 383,next a Chevy Bel air with a Big Block 454 and now lastly maybe ! my 68 Charger 440 RT always work to do.
Blue

Re: Kick down setting 68 Charger

Post by Blue »

Though other people seem to be happy, I have never had satisfactory results using a cable on a torqueflite. There are a couple of things I found did help, a spring pulling the kick down lever forward keeps some tension on the cable. Where the cable loops around and goes forward at the rear of the box, that loop needs holding back with a cable tie or similar or else the cable just moves around rather than pulling the kick down lever back.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Roger S

Post by Roger S »

Thanks Blue.

With the kick down cable free off the carb, when I pull on it I can feel good resistance and it readily returns back as if it has a spring, although not been underneath to check.

Rog
Started with an MGB in 2004, then built a Cobra Rep with a Chevy 383,next a Chevy Bel air with a Big Block 454 and now lastly maybe ! my 68 Charger 440 RT always work to do.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I've looked into this before as there is a fair bit of slop in your average Lokar kickdown install. The Bouchillon Performance kits look to be a better quality if similar product. The price seems a bit steep but I suppose it's cheaper than a trans rebuild.

https://www.bouchillonperformance.com/m ... -cable-kit
All we are is rust in the wind
Roger S

Post by Roger S »

Hi

Played around with throttle setting on the carb as it was holding the tickover high, once sorted Adjusted the kickdown all as the Lokar instructions, full travel on throttle and full travel on kickdown cable. Lever on the box didn't have a return spring ,so I fitted one.as Blue suggested,
Took her out, was holding in 2nd a tad too long so backed off on the cable about 4 turns on the adjuster, now changes up to 2nd at 20 mph and 3rd comes in at 40 mph under moderate acceleration, changes back down as it should and kick down seems to work fine. Only done a few miles so will see how it goes.

Thanks Guys