fan

Moderator: Moderators

MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Derek wrote:Mick, try your local breakers the twin fans from a sierra or granada are quite a good size
I remember that - Sierra Diesel had two pullers and one pusher (with A/C). I actually Engineered that particular installation...fame at last. Many years ago though, think I've forgotten most of what I knew!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Last time I saw that car it was in Columbus !
Rich

Post by Rich »

The Siera??? :?
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Got stuck in traffic last weekend.....Stock rad and fan. Topped out at 184 degrees. But I think I would feel safer with a leccy fan. The twinn jbbies on my Honda look kinda cute!
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

184 in traffic is PERFECT Jeff. Leave it alone.

Yes Alex. That's the one. It was in Kent from Wednesday and Linda drove it up to Sandy's in Glasgow on Friday.
db

Post by db »

I'm about to plumb a 383 rad into my Rover 3.5 powered D100, have tracked down twin Cossie fans( hold em above your head an they almost lift you off the ground! :shock: !) Only thing left is a switch- any recommendations? I like the plumbed-in type but 50 quid!
No-one will believe you...
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Just remember. The more powerful the fan(s) the more current they draw.

The more current they draw the harder it is for the engine to drive the alternator and the more power you rob from the rear wheels.

You can easily end up with a system that uses more HP than a stock belt driven fan.

You never get something for nothing when it comes to energy.
db

Post by db »

Ah, as my ol dad used to say you get nothin for nothin!!
Luckily none of the gauges work, i have no interior light or dash lights and the stereo packed in last week so it should all balance out? :idea:
No-one will believe you...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I love that Wagon, can't wait to see it in the flesh!
Philth

Post by Philth »

Just for my 20p's worth (inflation, eh!) I run a rather splendid 16" Perma Cool fan I bought from DaveR. a couple of years back and, coupled with a Kenlowe thermo switch I used to have on my 1600E, it does a sterling job keeping my big block cool, in all conditions. It is a big fan, but does look somewhat dwarfed on the massive 29" Chrysler 3 core radiator on the car!
Also, with regards to radiator caps, the older ones (up to mid-1980's) that are used with systems that vent to air have the spring loaded button on the cap, whereas the caps sold for use in vehicles with aftermarket airtight overflows (expansion tanks) have a loose button, to allow easier vapour/fluid transfer between the expansion tank and the radiator, and are ideally better suited to a hose set-up as Dave has in his Challenger. The spring loaded button on the 'vent-to-air' caps allows air to be drawn ito the system when the coolant cools, but shouldn't let coolant escape when the coolant heats, expands and vapourises (under normal conditions). I have gone back to using a 'normal' rad cap with the spring loaded button as I was fed up with my non-pressurised overflow (just a catch-can) can filling up with coolant when I was using a 'Stant' cap with a loose button. No such problems now I'm pleased to say! More modern cars have a different type of rad cap altogether.
1973 Dodge Challenger
MMA 616
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I wish I could see what type of cap I have now.

I had that problem of the catch can filling with water all the time and me having to keep topping up the radiator. Fitting running a pipe to the bottom of the can just sorted the problem in one easy go. I thought it was worth a try and was delighted with the result.