air filter and plugs

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

Valcuda

air filter and plugs

Post by Valcuda »

I need to replace the air filter on my South African Barracuda. It uses a Ball & Ball two barrel carb and the air filter housing is squat and wide. The current air filter (which I got years ago from somewhere, probably in ZA) is a Hastings AF 146 which is about 12 1/2 inches wide, 2 1/2 inches deep. By googling the name, I find it comes from a 1968-1979 Cadillac DeVille, Eldorado, Fleetwoord series. Is there any English car that you know which would use an air filter of this size? (If so, I can get a replacement from my local Halfords!!)

My 1969 Plymouth service manual says that if my plugs suffer from cold fouling (which they do, probably because I only use the car locally), try upgrading the heat rating of the plugs. I'm currently using the Champion N14Y that are recommended for the standard 225 engine. Has anybody had any experience with the next higher rating, which I guess will be N15Y or N 16Y? (Yes I know the Champion range have been renumbered but these are the 1969-ish numbers).
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

you just need a 12 inch air filter of appropriate depth
can i suggest a nice cleanable wire gause one with a decent rubber seal round the edge.

any american car supplies can do one
and all of those rubbish made in china holley and edelbrock style (not brand) chrome air filter housings £20-30 with the 3 point wing nut have a rubbish paper version of the same thing

you will be hard pushed to find anything over 10 inch in halfords

your plugs may be fouling due to a clogged air filter. if the air can't get in you run richer than strictly necessary due to slightly higher vacuum so it won't help things

do air cleaner first
take it out for a good 20 minutes at 60 or so pull up and switch off

take out plug 3 or 4 (favored for running rich on a six) see what it looks like
better to burn off the crap than go pushing it all up the insulator with a wire brush.

then go back set gap on all do points and start the normal local running and see how it goes. pointless slinging a good set of plugs. your ancient champions will be better than new ones. (poor packaging and handling seems to do half of them damage before they get to the shops, drop a box of plugs and they are scrap)

but if you want new NGK agent should be able to cross ref old champion for a new plug of similar heat rating the correct size thread pitch and length.

at a guess (alert alert alert) and it would be!!!!! Its probably the same plug as a standard 273 or a 318 of similar era uses... much easier stocking factory and agents if they all use the same

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying