big block sump

Moderator: Moderators

bazbiker

big block sump

Post by bazbiker »

having recently bought a 1970 charger with the 383 engine i took it out for a run on the back roads around here and managed to touch down with the sump as it has been fitted with a deep sump so it hangs way down below the cross-member.

my question is what would be the reason for having such a deep sump fitted over the original sump as im thinking about changing it back to original.

Secondly where is the best place to get a replacement inc gaskets etc?
1974 Chrysler Valiant VJ Charger
1970 Dodge Charger
Blue

Post by Blue »

Couple of reasons, to increase the oil capacity and to get the oil level away from the crank. No problem going back to a stock style pan if you are not going racing. You will need a new oil pick up as well, and here's where it gets tricky. The common oiling mod on big blocks is to drill out the stock 3/8" NPT pick up boss to take the larger 1/2" NPT pick up. You'll find out which one you have when you drop the pan. The original hemi style pan is the best of the stock pans, Mancini, summit, jegs etc. is your best bet here, hemi pick up was 1/2", the rest were 3/8" either of those pick ups fit the pan.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
bazbiker

Post by bazbiker »

Thanks for the info :thumbright:

my other worry now is that im unsure if a high volume oil pump has been fitted or if its still got the standard one on but the only marks i can find on it is USA. if it has got a HV pump can i still fit the standard sump or will it just starve it of oil?
1970 Dodge Charger
Blue

Post by Blue »

It probably has got a HV pump on it, they seem to be the most commonly available these days. If memory serves they are only a standard Hemi pump, nothing fancy, I can't see you draining the pan at "normal" RPM's.
bazbiker

Post by bazbiker »

ok thanks, its looking like the best option is to just stick with a deep one but i might make up a bit of a sump guard for it!
1970 Dodge Charger
Pete

Post by Pete »

I have a deep sump on my Bee and that hangs down.
Good insurance policy for the engine as standard sumps are a bit skimpy.

I run tall tyres for a bit extra clearance, but mine is a "Nostalgia Drag car" not for hooning around on basic roads.

You could also raise the ride height a bit on the torsion bars, and then re-check your geometry if you are happy with the revised height.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Blue

Post by Blue »

The stock Hemi pan holds another Quart more than the standard big block pan and hangs down no lower, should be fine up to 6 grand for short spurts.
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Armour plated sump.... :)

Nice to see you and the car this evening, Barry.
Attachments
Charger.jpg
Charger.jpg (242.15 KiB) Viewed 935 times
Dodge This, Cat That

bazbiker

Post by bazbiker »

Bend it, Mend it, Reuse it ;)
1970 Dodge Charger