Hub / bearing fitting

Moderator: Moderators

Rebel

Hub / bearing fitting

Post by Rebel »

Finally got some time to get the discs and calipers fitted. However, they don't seem to fit at all.
As can be seen in the pic, this us as far as the bearing will fit over the spindle. First time I've swapped drums for discs, does the hub and bearing need to be pressed on?
Can I just but the nut on the end of the spindle and use that to seat the hub / bearings properly?
Attachments
F5C8A74C-F917-4820-8716-1C8AA243DE04L0001.jpg
F5C8A74C-F917-4820-8716-1C8AA243DE04L0001.jpg (97.71 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
Blue

Post by Blue »

The bearing is a close fit on the spindle, it can be difficult to fit like that but once fitted into the hub It should slide on without too much effort. Because it has a tight tolerance it tends to jam if it's not going on exactly square, so yes doing up the nut will be required to fully seat the bearing.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

The bearing in the photo is just to show how far on the spindle it would go. Tried to fit the other side with the bearing in the hub. Didn't want to try tapping it with a soft hammer or by doing up the nut incase it would damage the bearing.
Thanks Blue
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

It's a light interference fit,if you can Bananarama! on by hand,later on it will spin on the stub axle. Make sure the stub is clean and gently get the bearing started square and it will slide down as the nut is tightened.
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
kma176

Post by kma176 »

Are you fitting new stub axles as well??

Kev
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

kma176 wrote:Are you fitting new stub axles as well??

Kev
No, using the original stub axles
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

kma176

Post by kma176 »

Can you measure the inner part of the bearing with a Vernier gauge make sure its the same size as the bearings youre removing?
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

kma176 wrote:Can you measure the inner part of the bearing with a Vernier gauge make sure its the same size as the bearings youre removing?
Yeah, did that the old ones are the same size as the new ones. There's 0.7mm difference between the I.D. of the old and new bearings and the O.D. of the spindle
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Had another go at getting the discs on, everything went according to plan until it came to bolting the caliper on.
The disc / hub is now on as far as it can go and spins nicely, however it looks like the bracket that the caliper bolts onto needs to be closer to the disc. I've checked to make sure that everything is sitting squarely where it should be, which it is.
The question now is, can I use a couple of washers between the the caliper bracket and the stub axle to move the bracket closer to the disc?
Would it be a better idea to get a spacer made up, its only about 6mm that it needs to move forward by.
Hopefully the pics are clear enough to see the problem.
Alternatively, can I take as much as 6mm off the caliper mounting ears without causing issues
Attachments
CEF723DE-DEBF-4C51-A9E7-FB5A43A5E512L0001.jpg
CEF723DE-DEBF-4C51-A9E7-FB5A43A5E512L0001.jpg (101.83 KiB) Viewed 948 times
425B4C9D-3184-420B-A89F-EDE85AC99C5FL0001.jpg
425B4C9D-3184-420B-A89F-EDE85AC99C5FL0001.jpg (79.42 KiB) Viewed 948 times
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

kma176

Post by kma176 »

Personally I would not take anything off of the caliper's , washers not really a good idea - sounds like the bracket has got to be the wrong one for the car??
Blue

Post by Blue »

Hmm, it's pretty normal for anything aftermarket not to fit but not usually by that much. I would contact the manufacturer before you do anything to "correct" it. With Wilwood and Strange you get a section of shims to position the caliper centrally on the disc, but you'd only be correcting it by a couple of mm at most.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Yeah, got the shims with it. The ears on the caliper that stop the brake pads from sliding in too far are also stopping the caliper from being positioned correctly.
Looking at where everything sits on the stub axle, it's either the disc needs to be closer to the caliper bracket or the bracket needs to be closer to the disc.
I'll try contacting wilwood and see what they say.
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

is the disk the wrong disk

Aussie mopars had a disk top hat offset change in 76 or 77

did the US?

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Not as far as I know Dave, the whole kit was ordered from magnum force to fit a '62 - '69 B body drum spindle.
I suppose it's always possible that the wrong part has been sent. Looking at the original order though, I've ordered the correct kit for my car.
I've emailed magnum force about it, guess I'll just have to wait for their reply
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

Blue

Post by Blue »

So is this a wilwood kit they've supplied you? If it is thier parts are normally numbered so you can check with the instructions to see if you have one or more wrong parts. Thier caliper brackets are normally flat like yours so the issue probably lies with the hub itself. Does the disc bolt to the hub? if so is there only one way it will fit?