Nova certificate/HMRC

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

Matt74

Nova certificate/HMRC

Post by Matt74 »

Ive just done the NOVA submission through HMRC for a car I imported from the EU. It was a right PITA.
I'm surprised to find that I am liable for VAT. As I understood it no VAT should be due as it would have been paid in Finland.

Am I wrong in thinking this?

The online form asks for details about the seller and if "they were unable to reclaim vat" I didn't really understand they way that was worded and how would I know anyway?
I answered no anyway thinking it would make no odds as I shouldn't have to pay Vat.
As soon as I submitted the form I received a message informing me of the amount due.

Just wondering if anyone here has been through this and can advise on wether this is right or not as I don't want to spend ages trying to deal with HMRC if do in fact need to pay it.

Cheers,

Matt.
smarty white

Post by smarty white »

I had a look on gov.uk and read this plain as day.

If you’re importing a second-hand vehicle, you won’t have to pay VAT if all the following apply:

VAT has already been paid in any EU country including the UK
the vehicle has been in use for more than 6 months
the vehicle has done more that 6,000km (about 3,728 miles)

It's possible you made a mistake on the form,you should give them a call and quote the above lifted from their own site.

Let me know how you get on as I want to bring a satellite back that I bought in PL. soon.
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

smarty white wrote:I had a look on gov.uk and read this plain as day.

If you’re importing a second-hand vehicle, you won’t have to pay VAT if all the following apply:

VAT has already been paid in any EU country including the UK
the vehicle has been in use for more than 6 months
the vehicle has done more that 6,000km (about 3,728 miles)

It's possible you made a mistake on the form,you should give them a call and quote the above lifted from their own site.

Let me know how you get on as I want to bring a satellite back that I bought in PL. soon.
That's how I read it too but filling the form out is not so easy. At least not for me anyway. I was tired when I filled it out and should have waited until today but just wanted to get it done so I must have made a mistake. I put in the correct date of first registration.

I've tried to amend the submitted details which you can do but it's just the same blank form
:?
Blue

Post by Blue »

The HRMC website is not at all user friendly, I have found it very difficult to find the right page to do this sort of thing online. You need to talk to a human rather than a non thinking automated system, they have been helpful enough when I've had to call them. They will send you the correct form to fill in, most of which doesn't apply on a car over 10 years old.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

Cheers Blue. :thumbright:
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

Almost there now!
I made a couple of mistakes. 1st was logging in using the auto fill password on my phone which logged me into my company's gateway and the 2nd was selecting no when asked if I had an invoice which is obviously proof that vat has already been paid.

A nice lady at HMRC told me to re submit the info on my individual gateway. I found the invoice and included the details from that and there is 0 vat to pay.

Just waiting for the first nova Cert to be cancelled now.
Steve Chapman

Post by Steve Chapman »

Most of the import pack is type approval rubbish. Doesn't apply to our age of cars. There's only about 10/12 sections to fill in,