Cylinder sleeve

Moderator: Moderators

mad machs

Cylinder sleeve

Post by mad machs »

Check this out, on a 351C I'm having a look at, not a fan of sleeving a block at the best of time, buts what's with the two join lines? The ones I've seen before are pressed in one go.
This is a view from the bottom of the cylinder looking up.

Imageliner by Michael Fisher, on Flickr
Mike that is called Mike.

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Dont like that,Id have that removed,fit a one piece liner.
Had plenty of blocks sleeved with success :thumbright:
mad machs

Post by mad machs »

Thanks Dave.

There isn't much going for this one at the moment, it's on 30 thou bores as it is, the crank is wrecked, as are the rods, the gudgeon pins are very tight in the pistons.
All as a result of an unchanged very elderly oil filter of an incorrect type.

For example...

The crank-

Imagecrank2 by Michael Fisher, on Flickr

Imagecrank1 by Michael Fisher, on Flickr

Imagecrank3 by Michael Fisher, on Flickr

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

:shock: How long had the owner been torturing that before he admitted defeat?
All we are is rust in the wind
mad machs

Post by mad machs »

Gareth wrote::shock: How long had the owner been torturing that before he admitted defeat?
Not that long, Garys Picnic this year , a few runs later, oil pressure dropped accompanied by a symphony of mechanical nastiness.
They summoned me over to have a listen, I suggested in the strongest possible terms to switch it off and not restart it again until further investigations were made, during that conversation I somehow volunteered to carry out said examination.
The engine was shipped to me and shortly after unpacking it, discovered the root cause of the carnage, the oil filter, which apparently had given sterling service in the five to possibly ten previous years, had finally given up the ghost and had attempted to depart this mortal coil via the main oil way, thus restricting lubrication to a mere trickle (see below)

Imagefilter1 by Michael Fisher, on Flickr

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Serious???
No filter change for 5 to 10 years!!! :shock:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
mad machs

Post by mad machs »

They acquired the engine approximately five years ago, the filter was on it when they bought it, the casing of which had been painted silver, so we know it is a minimum of 5 years old, during the postmortem I scraped away some of the paint to reveal its origin as FIAMM, the part number of which did not cross refer to any known recommended filters for a Cleveland or indeed any Ford V8.
I last saw a FIAMM filter bearing that tampo style a fair while ago. So without rushing into too many conclusions, it may be fair to suggest that the oil filter was not only older than five years, but was not really up to the task in the first instance, all things considered I believe it did rather well, well up until the time it gave birth to itself that is.

They had however treated the engine to regular oil changes.

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Amazes me , that you would not change the filter , at the oil change intervals.
It's recommended, that my SRT Ram has an oil and filter change every 3000 miles. Mobile 1 0w /40 fully synthetic. Not cheap , but that's what it gets !!!
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
mad machs

Post by mad machs »

I would like to think that lessons have been learnt here.

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

mad machs wrote:I would like to think that lessons have been learnt here.
Yep. Never buy a Mustang! ;)
mad machs

Post by mad machs »

Gareth wrote:
You may very well think that, but this particular example , before being transplanted into hot rod, can claim its origins more likely from the truck line of the brand, due to the sump and strainer layout, certainly not a Mustang, as they had the deep part of the sump at the front of the block.

Indeed, one could place the counter argument that any other of the available brands might have suffered total and catastrophic component failure, as in reciprocating items leaving the building, when being flailed on the drag strip with practically no oil pressure or indeed any flow rate to speak of. In other words, it stayed in one piece, granted it got mullered, but the disassembly process remained in the conventional.

In my experience, the Cleveland 335 series has been one of the better products to make it to our shores, from both North America and Australia, if you take the trouble to change the oil filter that is ;)

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang
Blue

Post by Blue »

So what's the plan? Might as well stroke it now...
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

mad machs wrote:
Gareth wrote:
You may very well think that, but this particular example , before being transplanted into hot rod, can claim its origins more likely from the truck line of the brand, due to the sump and strainer layout, certainly not a Mustang, as they had the deep part of the sump at the front of the block.

Indeed, one could place the counter argument that any other of the available brands might have suffered total and catastrophic component failure, as in reciprocating items leaving the building, when being flailed on the drag strip with practically no oil pressure or indeed any flow rate to speak of. In other words, it stayed in one piece, granted it got mullered, but the disassembly process remained in the conventional.

In my experience, the Cleveland 335 series has been one of the better products to make it to our shores, from both North America and Australia, if you take the trouble to change the oil filter that is ;)
Just messing with you, Mike. I am actually quite partial to the odd Mustang. Good luck with the rebuild.

:thumbright:
mad machs

Post by mad machs »

Blue wrote:So what's the plan? Might as well stroke it now...
Was suggested and considered, however they have located another C so standing by for further instructions....

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang
mad machs

Post by mad machs »

Gareth wrote:
Just messing with you, Mike. I am actually quite partial to the odd Mustang. Good luck with the rebuild.

:thumbright:
Taken in the right spirit Gareth :lol:

Just waiting now to see what path they wish to go down.

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang