Speedfest 10 'Disappointing'

Dates, details and photos

Moderator: Moderators

kma176

Speedfest 10 'Disappointing'

Post by kma176 »

Speedfest 10 was a Fantastic event with full program of great racing - yeah we had a downpour on Saturday afternoon and then the same on Sunday afternoon that all dried up pretty quick!! The disappointing part was MMA attendance - on Saturday there were only about 6 spaces taken up in our 30 odd place parking area - but it was Saturday which is known to be quieter and not many more had booked for that day. Sunday was an embarassment for the Club (I'm glad we didnt put up any banners announcing who we were) with only 13 out of the 28 cars booked for that day and not all of them Mopars. I personally feel sorry for Del who goes to a lot of trouble to organise these meetings - I'm not even sure we will be invited back as a club next year so we may have to join up with another club to get in.
Sorry about the rant but we need more support at these events a bit more like the Mustang owners
Pete

Re: Speedfest 10 'Disappointing'

Post by Pete »

Hi there, Kev, and thanks for taking the time to post - you do make some pertinent points.

As someone who booked in on Sunday and did not attend, I feel somewhat awkward and embarrassed, but in reality it is not a clear cut as that.

Julie and I have attended "Speedfest" 1 to 9.
We have done it in rain and shine to support the Club (and helpfully enjoy the event).

We usually book the hotel overnight as it is quite a journey for us.
The Hotel has changed it's policy so now you cannot book one night, you have to book 2 nights; so the cost has rocketed, plus meals, etc.

We therefore took the decision to attend on one day and drive there and back - which with the inevitable traffic queues is around 5 hours.
Very early start then....

The key element was then the "Severe weather warnings" for the whole day - covering the travel down, visiting the Track, and Travel back - and it did not seem a sensible or attractive proposition.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and we did not know that they would get the Forecast so wrong, but in an old car do you really want to take the chance, and do you want to be wet all day when there is no cover to speak of at the track.

Ultimately we had to make a call, and we left it to the last moment; and we decided against travelling.
A Personal thing and nothing to do with the Club.

Another aspect - having done "Speedfest" 1 to 9, I have to say my personal view is that the format is wearing a bit thin, and I think it has gone increasingly "down-market", and is aimed far more at the "punters" than the people who attempt to exhibit their cars.

I think it is a conscious decision to go for "Volume" as opposed to "Quality". It's not Goodwood.

I canvassed other people about attending the event, and people did not seem enthused about it, and I think this is borne out by the relatively low booking rate before the event. Again, a Personal thing and nothing to do with the Club. People vote with their feet.

Yes, it would be great to get bigger Mopar turn outs at event and YES - Derek does a fantastic job in his role.

This is influenced by a number of factors -

The fact that it is a NATIONAL / INTERNATIONAL CLUB, so many of the members are not located near a specific location, so the propensity to attend at some events is greatly lessened. LOCALLY-BASED clubs do not have this to contend with.

Fundamentally there are proportionally VERY FEW Mopars in the UK compared to "Brand X".
It is quite niche in the big scheme of things.

Fewer cars means less opportunity to get many cars together at one location - Witness the MOPAR EURONATS attendance.
Mustangs have outnumbered Mopars there for many years. It's not (just) apathy.

A comparison of attendance at an event by the Mustang Owners Club is not proportional - the Mustang Owners have probably 20 times the number of members - they should do as they made 15 million Mustangs and they are still in production.

Much of the Mustang Owners attendance is buoyed by the Modern variants.
Again, the Modern Mustang variants greatly outnumber the Modern Mopars in the UK.

In essence is is a "Numbers" game, and there are comparatively very few Mopars around, because they were not built in volume in the first place.

It is something Derek and I (and others) have discussed at length, and in all honesty; I do not have an answer for you.

All we can do it advertise and broadcast events and encourage members to attend.
We do this by the Forum and also the MMA Facebook presence.

We are always receptive to any ideas to boost our mantra of "Bringing Chryslers to the Masses".

In closing, I would like to thank you sincerely for supporting the club - especially as you presented your fantastic car and your time and company at the NEC.

All the best.

Pete
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
kma176

Post by kma176 »

Thanks for the explanation Pete but there were at least 28 booked for the Sunday !!
Pete

Post by Pete »

I understand, but in the past we have had around 43 booked...
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

For what it's worth!

I have booked or intended, to go to many shows in the past and as the weather changes on the day, you decide it is not worth taking the old girl out of the garage and risk driving her in the rain, so have not bothered.

Unfortunately, with a 50+ year old car these things happen.

Organisers know that and that is one reason they always hope for dry and sunny days.