blown drums

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

blown drums

Post by Anonymous »

ear drums that is, unless i can find a way of lowering the noise a little on pinkie,

hopefully, if things go disasterously wrong (ie not to plan) then pinkie will either be, or be ready to be, MOT'd, she's popping in tomorrow night for indicators and headlights all wired up, a few other odds n sods and a general pre mot check, i'm not overly worried about anything passing, except for......... the noise !

i've had a pair of 3" pipes made up which exit just infront of the rear tyres, built into that system are a pair of moroso spiral core race mufflers,

see pic below

now these things are only about 15" long x 4" diam (3" in/out), they have a 1 1/2" straight thru pipe in the middle and a spiral round the outside, i suspect they're more for creating a little back pressure than for muffling, they have quietened it down a little, but not alot, to drive on the street i really do think i'll need ear defenders !

my question is..... are thgere noise regulations regards exhaust ?
if so, what are they ?
what quick fix is there ?
supertrap thangs on the end of the pipes ?

another thought... will i need rear view mirrors ? i have a feeling i need one, but which side ? drivers i seem to recall,

i'll accept any suggestions right now !
Guy

Post by Guy »

Mirrors
You will need either one internal rear view mirror or two door/wing mirrors but the mirrors must be in good condition ie no sharp edges if fitted externally or broken glass.(most vans do not have an internal mirror but have large door mirrors).
Exhaust
I dont believe there are limits on the amout of noise an exhaust makes for an mot thr only requirement being that it removes the gasses from under the vehicle safely the exhaust must not protrude(?) past the extremitities of the vehicle where a passer by can catch themselfs on it. The boys in blue may have something to say about the noise level though
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

cheers Guy,

has in internal rear view, i guess i could find something thats aesthetically acceptable for the exterior at some point, the windows do not wind down so reversing could be an issue without mirrors, the buckets and cage restrict the 'hanging outta the door manouvre' somewhat !

regards the exhaust, it is a complete system, no leaks etc, sits just under the edge of the car, and barring it failing on emissions, should be no prob,
i have been pulled before by the law on noise, 3" system with cherry bombs ! was quieter than this tho, perhaps Matt knows how i'd be treated and for what i could possibly get ticketed for,

here's what she currently sits like with hoosiers and the exhaust just infront...
Guy

Post by Guy »

From memory you dont need to pass emissions just a a smoke test ie no blue/white smoke from exhausts but I may be wrong on this.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i think you're right actually, never gave it a thought, but my old 70 b'cuda was always done on sight, at least with the noise pinkie will make, they wont be getting too close to it !!

Post by Guest »

Hugh,
This should have all the details you want.....
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm
Be interested to know how you get on, as im intending to use the same sort of system on mine, though I may be moving mine up further into the chassis :wink:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

cheers Iain, i'll check it out morro night,

found the logbook now too !!!! cool,
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

hmmmm, couldnt wait !!

heres what the inspector is to check for...

1. Examine the condition of the whole exhaust system, including the silencers and mountings, for security, deterioration and completeness
2. With the engine running
a. check the exhaust system for leaks

Note: A durable repair to an exhaust system which effectively prevents leaks is acceptable providing the system is structurally sound
b. assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be average for the vehicle.

here's what he can fail it on.....

a. A part of the system missing or excessively deteriorated

b. an exhaust system mounting missing, or In such condition that it does not fully support the exhaust system.

Note: An alternative mounting device is acceptable providing the system is secure and the fixing is not likely to fail prematurely-

a. A major leak of exhaust gases from any part of the system

Note: A minor exhaust leak from, for example, a connection joint or a pin hole, is not a Reason for Rejection

b. a silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition.

i suspect i may fall foul of 2,b,
tho that said

"noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition"

there arent other 'similar vehicles' on the road, so i could poss argue that as a 500hp+ street legal race car, i have met all other requirements, only the noise, understandable due to engine power, is above what would be considered normal for a normal car ! after all, in 1970 there would not have been the exhaust technology to suitably muffle such an engine, well, maybe !

hmmmmmmmm
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

It is really down to the tester. I have friends who have put some really loud V8's through with no problems (really loud :twisted: ). But then some testers hate loud old V8's and will fail them almost instantaneously.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

well i dont know the testers name, and i wouldnt tell if i did, but, i've just heard a tester somewhere local ish let a rally car go thru on open headers (audi V8) !! sounded cool i guess !

Post by Guest »

MoparManUK wrote:well i dont know the testers name, and i wouldnt tell if i did, but, i've just heard a tester somewhere local ish let a rally car go thru on open headers (audi V8) !! sounded cool i guess !
That the one Kev built..... actually cant be thats a 206 :oops:
Im 99% sure Kev could let you know of somewhere :wink:

p.s. if your road legal, are you looking at running in CCSE or UKSR?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

yeah the one kev built, and i know its a pug 206 ! the engine is audi V8 quad cam thing etc,
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

hmmmmm, seems that to get pinkie on the road (mot wise) its gonna cost more than planned, never thought about handbrake ! no fuse box or relays for indicators etc so all that needs to go in, plus 4x round headlights with H4 bulbs....doh, no change from ?700 at this rate !
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The headlights are cheap enough, what size bulbs are they? If they are the 5 and a bit size you can get halogen upgrades for a triumph dolomite that just pop into place! think i paid about ?35 for all 4 light units.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

gone into the workshop this week for the mot stuff, should have her back by next saturday with a shiny new mot :-)

headlights i'm going for are capri H4 lenses,

all jobs to be done include ....
fit and hook up handbrake (capri !)
fit new lights (capri !)
fit wiper motor,
wire all indicators and lights with new switches (no stalks), fuse box and relays,
forget what else now but thats the main bits i fink,