Brighton Speed Trials

Post photos from past events here.

Moderator: Moderators

latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

Love that Rudge. :thumbright: Used to know a chap (now sadly passed on ),Ray Denton,he used to do sidecar racing with his brother. He had 5 Rudge Ulsters all with the bronze head. I don't know where they've ended up.
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
paolo_mangusta

Post by paolo_mangusta »

it's a great event to watch, fish, chips beer and the smell of Castrol R :D

I think that the club invites people from the various sprint classes that have run throughout the year in various championships, plus members of the Brighton and Hove motor club get a run in the morning. I've seen old Camaros and things like that there, so there's not a no Yanks rule, and a couple of years back they had that PT Cruiser drag car running. The variety of cars and bikes is awesome, everything from a mammoth engined Allard that's run at Bonneville to Bugatti Type 35's running methanol to twin bike-engined hillclimb cars. And all the bikers are headcases :D

If the weather's good it's a top day out :)
'64 Barracuda
Adam

Post by Adam »

Yeah I usually go, as it's only a few miles away. I think Brighton and Hove Motor Club run the event and control the invitations. They're a cliquey lot, and don't seem keen on American iron showing up their vintage sports cars. Having said that, there have been a few in past years, e.g. Paul Marstons's Dart & PT Cruiser, as Paolo said. Even a jet car one year.

It used to be run over a half mile. I remember Nick Mann's turbo'd Minor going through the traps at 170mph :shock: But Madeira Drive, with it's famous subsidence, makes for a very bumpy track, and there are sturdy Victorian lamp-posts every few yards. Sadly, another fatality a few years ago forced them to shorten the course, and it has been a quarter mile ever since.

This makes it more interesting for us drag fans of course, and half the fun is seeing how slow some supposedly fast production cars really are, e.g. Aston Martins, TVRs etc. On the other hand there are some surprisingly quick cars too. A fairly mild looking Ford Puma with 4WD clicked off a solid 9, last time I went.

Everything has to run with mufflers and it wasn't long ago that they frowned upon burnouts! It's amusing to see the startline marshalls in their white lab coats "helping" competitors by holding on to the car/bike, or chocking the rear wheels with their little brooms until the green light. They remind me of Les from Vic Reeves Big Night Out.

The event is free to spectators viewing from the top gallery which runs the length of Marine Parade (A259), or you can pay to watch from the lower deck, and have access to the pits. Best place to view is opposite the time display board near the start line. May have to use your elbows. The whole thing stops for an hour at lunchtime (this is England you know), so that's a good time to find a choice vantage point. Parking is a nightmare, and very expensive, so I usually get the bus!

Definitely worth a visit though.
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Adam wrote:They're a cliquey lot, and don't seem keen on American iron showing up their vintage sports cars. Having said that, there have been a few in past years, e.g. Paul Marstons's Dart & PT Cruiser, as Paolo said.
Paul Marston set the fastest time in his class 2 years running, may of been in all classes, then was never asked to return. When he asked for reason for refusal, answer was always declined
newport100

Post by newport100 »

No chance of us running a few Mopars then!
Oh well may go along as a spectator again anyways
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

newport100 wrote:No chance of us running a few Mopars then!
Oh well may go along as a spectator again anyways
Still a good day out though :thumbright:
Blue

Post by Blue »

Ah sod 'em then, if they don't want to see the likes of us, I don't want to see the likes of them.

Still fancy hooning the Dart along the sea front though....
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
TyreFryer

Post by TyreFryer »

You could always race against them on the road above Madeira drive Blue!
Martin Walker
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Blue wrote:Ah sod 'em then, if they don't want to see the likes of us, I don't want to see the likes of them.

Still fancy hooning the Dart along the sea front though....
Blue,
I think they will let us play.......... as long as we dont win ! :P