OK, who stole my brake fluid then?

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

OK, who stole my brake fluid then?

Post by Anonymous »

Seems that the pixies are having it away with my brake fluid in the '68 Sport Fury (power drums)

I am loosing fluid and now have no pedal at all. But I have no sign of a leak. OK, I've only had a fairly quick looksee but normally when I've had a wheel cylinder go I'd see the leak. I don't, plus Dave was so good as to replace or reseal all the wheel cylinders before I picked the car up. So those should be fine. There is no sign of a leak from the master cylinder either. However it empties the rear "pot" of the two very quickly.

I'm also somewhat confused that I have a dual piston master cylinder (at least thats what it looks like?) yet the pipework looks like a single circuit. is that right?

if it were a seal gone in the M/C surly the brakes should still work on the other piston? Or is that naive assumption on my part?

I have checked all the flexis and they are all good and dry, and theres no sign of damage to the hardlines.

Now theres so much air in the system I don't think I can force it to leak by pumping the pedal as its not moving the fluid anywhere. or thats my guess.

From my symptoms does anyone have a best guess diagnosis? Or a good guess where to start?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

the rear pot serves the front brakes, the fluid might be leaking into the servo remove the master cylinder and check the end seal next to the servo
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

steve beat me by 2 minutes there
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yes, there is a little white smoke. I had assumed it was condensation as the car is not used a lot and the smoke clears quickly (its the sweetest running motor I think I ever owned - shame its destiny is to be yanked in favour of a big block)

I'll have a poke about with the vac hoses and and the servo and see whats up.

Both front brakes are pretty definitely dry and I definitely have absolutely NO brakes.

I have discovered the "emergency brake" ain't that much use in an emergency...
db

Post by db »

Ah, yes my D100 pickup ran a 'wet' servo for a while, quite exciting!!! :shock:
No-one will believe you...