Dangerous Tyres?

Moderator: Moderators

db

Post by db »

Ah, but in the old days they knew how to make stuff last, thats why so many British companies went bust!
Nowadays everythings made to a price, made to last just past the guarantee expiry. We are the throwaway society :roll:

I think Dave has the right idea. Take Wile E Coyote as an example, he never falls down the canyon til he looks down...
No-one will believe you...
MattH

Post by MattH »

These tyre dates are very useful. It's worth looking at them when buying a new car as that "new" car may have sat in a field a year or more waiting to be sold, especially at the moment with recession etc. Check the tyre dates and that will be closer to when the car was built, so that shiny 58 plate could be an 07 with lots of storage dust washed off!
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

very true Matt
ALL KILLER NO FILLER
Nostalgia, its not what it used to be.

Carbon footprint of a Saturn V
NaughtyAlan

Post by NaughtyAlan »

Just fitted a hole new set on me Daily as they were all well out of Date and starting to crack and rubber going hard witch is why i found it a bit twitchy on the arse end. Mate of mine said they are very strict with age of tyres at quick fit: :thumbright:

Think it should be compulsory on MOTs and regs, regarding age of tyres.
mike jones

Post by mike jones »

I work in verhicle development department for a hi po sports car company
we won' run tests on tyres over 18 months old as they do deteriate with age, never had an age related failure but the grip level drops off
mike jones

Post by mike jones »

I work in verhicle development department for a hi po sports car company
we won' run tests on tyres over 18 months old as they do deteriate with age, never had an age related failure but the grip level drops off
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

andyrob wrote:lets see who's got the oldest most dangerous tyres on our mopars, (that we still use) :lol:
When i bought my Fury it had three Michelins and one other tyre on it. Loads of tread but must have been very old becuase within a space of 2 weeks driving about, ALL THREE michelins went on me. They just suddently lost their structure and went out of shape, every time was on the motorway including on the way, and way back from Billing. Bought some tyres at billing. Now has four new BFGs .
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

wow never seem a non remould do that :shock:
ALL KILLER NO FILLER

Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I had a cheap re-mould go on me while overtaking in the fast lane of the A1M at 75mph. It was one of my Dads Mk3 Cortinas and he was always a cheapskate on things like tyres.

There was no warning. It just came apart. I don't think I had been a driver for very long either but somehow I managed to hold the steering, get the hazzards on, match my speed to the other cars, get over to the hard shoulder, and safely stop.

I tell you what though. My right arm was killing me from the strain of holding it straight. There was a hell of a pull on the steering. I couldn't lift as much as a salt seller with that arm for a week! I was really skinny in those days. :lol:
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

I've had several Michelin X type tyres do that over the years.
I'm now running Chinese Nankangs on my daily and they outlast Bridgestone by at least 20,000 miles.
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I went out with the wife on Wednesday to look at a CHEVY G20 DAY VAN it has two owners and full history with a brand new MOT but the Tyre's were split on the side wall's and where the tread meets the side wall :shock: I asked the guy how the hell it had past the MOT and he said there is nothing wrong with the Tyre's as it was not split to the core :? I LEFT IT WHERE IT WAS :thumbright: ;)
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

andyrob wrote:lets see who's got the oldest most dangerous tyres on our mopars, (that we still use) :lol:
:? gonna have a look at the Satellite's tyres later - havent used it for 2 years :shock: but the tyres have got to be over 15 years old... maybe 20 :runaway!:

Hoping to get back to using the car spring 09, but hadnt planned on changing the tyres.... :-k
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

same with mine Rob, on the Cuda and the G.N. :(
ALL KILLER NO FILLER

BUDGIE

Post by BUDGIE »

See it every day of course, it doesn't mater what make it is.........ALL OLD TYRES DRY OUT, BECOME POROUS AND FAIL :deadski: ........consider yourself VERY LUCKY if your tyre has gone out of shape and you have cought it in time. Tell-tail sign is ( other than being able to acctually see it ) is the car being "kicked" or "wobbled" when moving along at slow speed ( obviously more so through the steering when it's front tyres at fault)

Don't mater how deep that tread looks IF THEY ARE OLD.....GET EM CHANGED :thumbright:

Oh yeh.......AT DARLASTON TYRES :thumbright: :lol:
Last edited by BUDGIE on Fri Dec 19, 08 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.