440 cooling fault.

Moderator: Moderators

Alex

Post by Alex »

If it was ok before you changed the heads then that is where you must llok, are the gaskets ok? were the heads crack tested??
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

check the water pump the impellor fell off mine (and i had just changed the heads as well)
Alex

Post by Alex »

Air lock?
Alex

Post by Alex »

I would not say common place but it does happen, remove the upper heater hose from the front of the motor, fill the rad with the heater hose held up high, when water starts to flow from the hose fitting on the motor, stick your thumb over it and fill the pipe to the top, then quicly stick the pipe back on the motor, that usually works !

You MUST run the engine with a thermostat otherwise the water flows through the heads to fast and you get localised hot spots, you can run with the spring cut out of the 'stat so it is always open but it needs the flow restriction.

Is it actually boiling? as in can you feel the pipes 'bubbling' ? or is it pressurising but not getting hot?

Is the rad hot at the top and bottom?

Are the heater pipes both hot?

Is it losing water?
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

If anything the hole in the thermostat will help cool it. It the radiator is hot the water must be flowing.

Does the radiator start to warm as soon as you start the engine? You should feel the heat moving through the core. That would mean that water is flowing.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

How did you test for gasses in the water? Did you look in the rad as it warmed up to see if there were any bubbles?