paintwork

Moderator: Moderators

Mick

paintwork

Post by Mick »

My Dart is going in for paint next week.
The car is straight but i have altered a few things.
It was bare metal sprayed not long back in 2 pack. My concern is the man spraying the car would rather do it in cellulose because he does'nt have proper breathing equipment, i have seen is paintwork in celly and 2k and it's good.
I was just wondering why hardly anybody uses cellulose anymore and if i should be bothered.
I would appreciate opinions.
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Well Mick, cellulose technology is such that it has had its bus pass for a lot of years now, but the real advantages are that it's nigh on bulletproof as far as application is concerned and the health issues aren't anywhere as hairy as isocyanate hardened two packs.

Two pack is really the way to go these days for a spot on colour match and durability.

Air fed breathing equipment is about the same the same price as a good quality professional spray gun such as a DeVilbiss GTi and the only other thing you need in addition to a decent compressor (which I asssume he already has) is a coalescing filter.

If the guy is really stuck I can lend you my old air fed half mask unit, it's well worn but it works, though really he should be using a vizor type unit these days.

I would say that using celly would be a step backwards, but it's not the end of the world and I'd rather have a good job in celly than an average job in two pack!

If t was me, I'd have two pack every time.
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Mick

Post by Mick »

Thanks for info and offer of mask.
The man doing paintwork is pretty old, hence why he wants to use celly.
I have approached others to spray car but as soon as you mention old american car they wet themselves, thinking it's some old heap with twenty coats of paint. When the truth is it has all been done years ago but just needs freshening.
At one stage i was going to approach Dave Bill for a quote to finish car but i'm in Notts and he's in Bradford so never followed it up.
All i need is paintwork done then i can Bananarama! and race it.
Sorry to drone on and appreciate advice.
Mick
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

At one stage i was going to approach Dave Bill for a quote to finish car but i'm in Notts and he's in Bradford so never followed it up.
I am in Herts. I got Dave to sort me.. He came and picked up car and too it away! EASY!!
Mick

Post by Mick »

HI Jeff
I have done so much to the car it only needs a bit more work and setting up, i have been waiting for painter for 6 weeks or so but it has held me up.
If i had this conversation a month ago i probably would have rang Dave but it's going in tuesday.
Problem for me is i'm self employed and currently moving premises which is taking a lot of my time which drags the car out
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Main problem with celly is that it oxidises far quicker than 2 pack. So you have to keep t-cutting and waxing it to keep it looking fresh. With 2 pack you just give it a wax job every now and again and thats it.

My other concern with celly is that its a swine for reacting with the paint which is already on the car. But as you're not doing the spraying thats not your problem its the painter's.

I still use it for bits and bobs but I'm trying to get into 2 pack or waterbourn as this seems to be up and coming and there are advantages.

I know what you mean about getting people to price painting an American. Got prices starting at ?5K to forget it on the Buick.

I really must come round and see this Dart since you're just up the road. :oops:
Mick

Post by Mick »

HI Alistair
I took Dart in today and he is doing it in 2 pack now, which is better news.
Should be back in a week or so. I thought you might have been round before now, i've also spoken to Mogwai recently, he lives in Mansfield and is a real friendly guy.
Mick
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Two pack Mick...good shout! :D
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Mick, what can I say, my Mrs keeps me on a short leash!

(to be fair if you'd seen the inside of my house you'd know why LOL)

drop me a PM or email or something when its back and I'll come "ooh and ahh" over it :)

Wasn't you in the Jeep on Gedling Rd the other evening was it? Just got the beep and someone waving...

Many others in this neck of the woods with Mopars? Theres a guy over Clifton who came to see my other Fury when I was selling that knew his stuff.

Theres supposed to be a hot rod meet in town once a month, might be worth trying to get a few of us down?

I'm not antisocial really!
Mick

Post by Mick »

No problem Alistair, i understand about time, my car's been in the garage for at least 10 years. My wife kept telling me to sell it, I told her i would sell her and the house first.
I think you're talking about Craig Elliott from Clifton, he races a 440 Scamp in the american superstock series at York.
His family have also got a 73 dart sport, 74 duster and a 64 Fury as well as the scamp.
Mick