Ok here goes

Stock wiring for my 73 Roadrunner

4 wires go into the rear panel from front of car

Black-tail lamps, stop lamps
Green-left indicator
Brown - right indicator
Mauve-reverse lights

Step 1
Two wires go to brake light switch. Leave the pink one alone as it powers the switch. Disconnect the other (white) wire and run a new wire from this terminal to the rear of the car.

Step 2
Cut and connect both indicator feed wires to the mauve reverse lights.
This will now power your indicators thru the white reverse lamps. Add orange bulbs/tint as required to give legal amber indicators.

Step 3
Connect your new brake light wire to the the remains of the brown indicator wire to the tail stop lamp assembly.

Step 4
Now Peggy back/splice that same wire so it then connects across to the green wire that feeds the (ex indicator) function in the left tail lamp assembly.

Job done
Drink beer after driving now legal car. :thumbright:
Adrian Worman

Post by Adrian Worman »

Someone make that a sticky please, that'll help loads of others out :thumbright:
Jesus built my hot rod

72 Challenger
65 Barracuda
Steve

Post by Steve »

Great explanation mate....cheers :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Steve

Post by Steve »

Just reading this again....is there any reason you can see that would stop me using the reversing lamp wire as the brake light feed instead of running a new wire to the rear?? I can see me running a new wire and having a redundant wire there that could have done the job??

Cheers Steve
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Steve, do it as I said. You will have a redundent wire, but it will all work. If you only do half the job you will have problems. I know cos half way through I stopped to check functionality and it was half cocked. The piggy back wire matters. A lot ;) ..as does the new wire from the brake switch.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I hear you Miles but cant see the point in taking my carpet up, footwell trim out and rear seat out to run a wire from the front to the rear when there is already one there that I can use??? If Im not using the reversing lamps then why cant I use the wire from the back up lamp switch which is almost directly next to the brake switch and runs to the reversing lights which are right next to the brake lights?? The wires are all in really good condition. Im all for doing it right but I am missing the logic here or just being really thick (as usual) :read2:
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Steve, sorry mate, knackered from holiday. Only got home a few hours ago.
`the wire from the brake pedal is essential if the system is to work right. I did take off the sill plates/carpet and run a new wire and it worked correctly.
You may well be able to do what you are suggesting, just check it against my thread and see it it adds up.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks Miles and no probs at all mate..,sorry to pick your brains on it so much. I will do my usual and copy out the relevant bit of my factory wiring diagram then transpose your method of rewiring onto it so I have it in front of me when I do it...Im a simple soul and the simpler the better for my limited capacity for this stuff...watch this space!! :D
Steve

Post by Steve »

Just reading this again....is there any reason you can see that would stop me using the reversing lamp wire as the brake light feed instead of running a new wire to the rear?? I can see me running a new wire and having a redundant wire there that could have done the job??

Cheers Steve
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Ok, disconnect reversing light wire from trans. Connect it to output of brake light switch. Other end connects to original indicator connection to each original indicator wire. Don't forget to add a piggyback wire between the two sides or it won't work.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Miles, I dont even have to do that on mine mate...because mine is a column change auto, the backup lamp switch is on the steering column very close to the brake light switch. Ive checked my wiring diagram and all I have to do is take the mauve wire off the back of the back up lamp switch and connect it up to the brake light switch then follow all of your instructions to the letter. Its a ready made wire in place and already routed to the rear.

Ive made up a diagram from your instructions and it all makes sense :thumbright:

Little job for saturday if the weather is ok

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Steve

Post by Steve »

Cheers Steve
Steve

Post by Steve »

All done....followed your instructions Miles and works a treat! Loved the old sequentials but orange much safer and no worries with MOT tester. Had to fit a new indicator switch from States and all works great, :thumbright:
Attachments
20130829_201048.jpg
20130829_201048.jpg (161.14 KiB) Viewed 736 times
20130829_201059.jpg
20130829_201059.jpg (162.34 KiB) Viewed 736 times
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Nice one Steve.
And what a lovely rear end you have there sir ! :D
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door