Opinons on 1st car for 18yr old please...

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

db

Opinons on 1st car for 18yr old please...

Post by db »

Daisy's passed her test, YAAY!
Ridiculous insurance limits our choices to group 1 or 2 cars, of which there ain't many!
French cars are 5hite as we all know so they're out.
Budget is up to about £1500.
We've heard good things about the Kia Picanta. Tiddly little 3 cyl petrol lump, 5 door, 5 seat, lots of toys- elec windows etc. Low mileage 8 year old ones are in budget.

Anyone know anything about them? Any suggestions of other cars?
No-one will believe you...
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

little corsa with that 3 cyl mtr, my daughter had one the mtrs are supposed to be suspect, she drove hers home from chester with the oil light on,,,,,,, i checked it the oil swtch was pi55in out no oil left in it fitted switch filled with oil was fine so if can survive that ????
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
db

Post by db »

Ha ha they should stick that in their advert :D
No-one will believe you...
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

Most cars on the road tend to be little hatchbacks. More examples of X on the road = bigger chance of a crash and therefore represents a higher risk to insurers. Before you get a quote for something have a look at the insurance grouping - the lower the better.
Quotes of 3 grand or more are quite common now so anything you can do to get the premium down will help. Think of something that a young person would find undesirable. Something like a mid-sized Volvo or ford saloon? Fewer youngsters driving = less reported accidents and therefore less perceived risk from the insurers point of view and lower premiums result.

Another thing worth considering is get some additional named drivers on there. You can't start a policy and have your daughter just as a named driver - that's fronting. It’s illegal and might come back to bite you. What you can do, however is get plenty of named drivers on her policy with plenty of experience - mum / dad / auntie / uncle etc. etc... So long as they aren't too old and have, had a licence a while and plenty of NCB of their own they will bring the premium down a bit.

You can also look at black box policies. They will reward / penalise the driver depending on the quality of driving the box records and other factors like time of day you go out.
Harsh acceleration, braking and speeding during rush hour or 3am will add a few pounds to the monthly premium whereas gentle acceleration and lower paced cornering on a Wednesday at 10 in the morning will gain you a few credits.
These tend to be the cheapest policies but you have to pay to have the box put in and there’s the big brother aspect which you’ll either feel comfortable about or you won’t.

You could look at a classic car policy. Not as easy to get as they used to be for first time drivers but they are out there. You could look at something cheap ‘n cheerful like a morris 1000, mini or a herald perhaps?
Other things to look at are something a bit more unusual – again not many youngsters in them so keeps costs down. Something like a StreetKA? Plenty out there with low miles and constructed quite differently to the hatches so no rust worries.
Think undesirable old peoples wheels / oddball / smaller engines and you’ll come up with something. :thumbright:
-Jon.
Bilko

Post by Bilko »

Shame you've got a downer on French cars, I've had loads of them and they are the most reliable motors I've ever owned. We also run over 50 Peugeot vans at work and they are far more reliable than the Vauxhalls we used to have.

Having said that when my daughter passed her test we got her a Toyota Aygo. It was cheap to buy, insure and run and never let her down for the 2 years she owned it.
andyrob

Post by andyrob »

arriva telematics box brought insurance quote down from £3000 to £1700 for my daughter busy learning to drive now
also google ' drive like a girl '
any of these types of insurance that fit a black box in the car to monitor there driving brings the price right down, also enable you to see where they are and how there driving.
Thank the lord they werent about when i was a kid :thumbright:
older bangor car = lots of insurance
& cars that have lots of accidents even thought they are low group insurance = lots of ££
Corsa was more than a Fiat 500 s convertible ????
:roll:
life is not a spectator sport

www.andyrobinson.eu
andy robinson

68 572 coronet RT
72 440 chrysler new yorker
69 518 daytona
Blue

Post by Blue »

In my experience French cars are no worse than anything else. Fiat I would steer clear of though, had plenty of trouble with thier stuff.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Pete

Post by Pete »

My daughter still has a "black box" installed in her car at 24 to keep the insurance costs down, I think it is essential today regardless of which car is chosen to manage insurance costs and also remind them to drive a little more responsibly.

Small Peugeots and Micras have been the order of the day in our house for the girls.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Prothed

Post by Prothed »

We have had three Kias - including a Picanto - no trouble whatsoever with any of them.
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

Adding a dashcam can help cut costs,most insurers are giving discounts if one is fitted. I've got a next base 402G professional with gps,very good picture quality.
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
Motorama

Post by Motorama »

Back in 2008 i bought my son and daughter a 2000 Seat Arosa 1.0S, same as a VW Lupo without the price tag. Won it on Ebay for £621, they both learned to drive in it and have shared it ever since, my daughters moved away now but 8 years on we still have it, my son uses it daily, and bar regular wear and tear and minimal maintenance its never missed a beat. Cracking little car, goes like stink, power steering and windows, it sips petrol. Never paid more than £700 to insure it with one of them as the main driver and the Mrs named
lough3969

Post by lough3969 »

VW or Seat are safe bets
Jon Connolly

Post by Jon Connolly »

VW Fox

Got my lad one at age 17 ( 2 years ago ) .. he Bananarama! a few things ... I NEVER TELL INSURANCE CO ... just pay to repair the other car involved or give them some ££

£1500 first year
£1000 second year
£700 third year

Fully comp with LV
9.844 @ 134.04 ... Smallblock Valiant + NOS

10.169 @ 130.17 ... Smallblock Dodge Ram pick up truck - motor only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvwC1fd0 ... 8Z96U8t0LQ
Motorama

Post by Motorama »

this is on Rods N Sods, dont see how you can go wrong for £600, the most money you can lose is £600

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/vehicl ... 600-420433