318 upgrades

Moderator: Moderators

Duster1

318 upgrades

Post by Duster1 »

Can anybody recommend any upgrades to a 318 engine and what is the maximum overbore possible. Is it possible to turn a 318 into 340?
Andy
DaveBishop

Post by DaveBishop »

No you can't bore a 318 to make it a 340 but you can buy a stroker kit to make it around a 390 but the 318 heads are not great so you will have to find a better set of heads 340 or 360 heads fit but you have to have 60 thu skimed off them
2 x 1969 Dodge Darts
Blue

Post by Blue »

Depends what the budget is and what you're wanting to achieve, beyond a certain point you'd be better off finding a cheap 360 to build.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Duster1

Post by Duster1 »

Budget is tight.
Bit of a novice when it comes to engine builds, etc.
So any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Pete

Post by Pete »

The biggest single thing you can do to wake a car up is sling some 3.91:1 or 4.10:1 gears in the rear.

Kills highway speeds a bit and is hard on your ears, but is a really quick and relatively cheap fix.

It depends on what you want to achieve.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

As Blue says.....Budget?

A healthy 318 can get inot the 300hp range with a good match of parts and minor work. Carb, cam and compression etc etc.

If you want to make it really come alive you'll need to go down the stroker route. 390 or 392 is most common.

As I'm doing currently, the key is research, research and more research. Stroker kits are currently at around $2k......add shipping, Vat and tax.
That's the easy bit......The 318 will need to go to a proper engine place for boring, honing, decking etc......and the 000s just keep adding that's if you don't have any block issues. You'll need decent heads to make all that worth the expense. Eddys are around 1500 or you can port J heads, that'll still not be cheap though to get it done for best bang for buck.

At this point you have to weigh up the cost differential between going this route and buying a 360 and bolt ons........its a minefield and I'm still trying to navigate it.

Set yourself a target....BHP or 1/4 mile time. There is your starter for 10.
:thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Pete

Post by Pete »

Also people aim for a powerful engine and then it is breakages and spend, spend, spend on the drive train - Trans, convertor, and especially Rear end.....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Duster1

Post by Duster1 »

Thanks for the advice guys.
Need to have a good think as what we want to achieve and start researching.
Andy
Blue

Post by Blue »

Ok a budget build, assuming the engine is in good shape to start with, electronic ignition with recurved distributor and a less pedestrian rear gear are your best bang for the buck. Next, viscous fan package, quality headers and a true 2.5" system, aluminium intake and 600 double pumper Holley. That's the fairly cheap and easy done. Cam, lifters, billet timing set and convertor to match is next, and that lot should get you in the 13's and totally streetable. That's as far as I would go with a 318, your spend to gain ratio drops considerably after that.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Duster1

Post by Duster1 »

Cheers Blue
Duster1

Post by Duster1 »

Guys
Thanks for all your input. Time to sit down and have a think as what we can do and mainly afford to do.
Cheers
Andy
octanejunkie

Post by octanejunkie »

"If its a job no man can survive, he's the man for the job"
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

For certain, loc tite, new bolts, torque wrench. Job done.