Death of a Forum

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

guy whitwam

Post by guy whitwam »

thanks for your kind words Blue, best I keep my head below the parapit then ;) , .......... :lol: ,to my knowlodge there are a couple of others here who are not mopar owners ,but enjoy the club and ,share info and enjoy the banter, after having several Mopars I just fancied something a bit different, and for those who are not aware I recently imported a 1958 Impala sport coupe (burgundy red) with the help of a very nice club member from Colorado.
..............and before that the 70 Cougar Eliminator convert, 69 GTO Judge to name a couple all the rest have been mopars , so it ok to have something else but still love mopars ,which I always will.
Yours
GUY
.................I'll get my coat then
:)
SJH

Post by SJH »

MrNorm wrote:I do generally read the latest posts every day, and contribute when I have something to say.........unlike FaceAche of course, where the idea is apparently to contribute when you have nothing to say :D

I likely would not be interested if we went to FB - just too much dross to wade through, it sucks up time like a Dyson hoover and gives very little in return (unless you like adverts and timewasters :shock: ). Just my opinion, I know millions love it...

I think a lot of people are on hols right now, probably pick up a bit soon, I'm happy to pay my subs for continued use, quantity is nice but quality is better....
This post sums up my thoughts as well. Also the photobucket thing is putting people off posting photo's, which we all like to see.

Shayne
Blue

Post by Blue »

I'm glad the photo thing is getting sorted, That is a bit of a pest.
Speaking as a moderator, I don't understand the spiteful comment, If I saw anything I considered to be discourteous especially with new users I would be dealing with it, no need for that sort of thing. As regards being opinionated, well isn't that a big part of forums? I don't really know how to answer that. IMO :lol: I just don't think some people gel with forums for one reason or another or have unrealistic expectations from them. I well remember someone coming on here not so long ago with "I've paid my money I want answers NOW" attitude which got very short shrift from me as well as others. The Clique thing is and always has been nonsense, we are as amiable a bunch as you are likely to meet anywhere.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
morgan

Post by morgan »

Blue wrote: we are as amiable a bunch as you are likely to meet anywhere.
Well... :P :P :P
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

guy whitwam wrote:thanks for your kind words Blue, best I keep my head below the parapit then ;) , .......... :lol: ,to my knowlodge there are a couple of others here who are not mopar owners ,but enjoy the club and ,share info and enjoy the banter, after having several Mopars I just fancied something a bit different, and for those who are not aware I recently imported a 1958 Impala sport coupe (burgundy red) with the help of a very nice club member from Colorado.
..............and before that the 70 Cougar Eliminator convert, 69 GTO Judge to name a couple all the rest have been mopars , so it ok to have something else but still love mopars ,which I always will.
Yours
GUY
.................I'll get my coat then
:)
And just how is that fine Impala doing for ya, hope you are making lots of memories, yep this is a great forum, that is why there are now 3 pages on the subject,and I only met a hand full of you guys, and I really want tro get back there hope this we will
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

I've noticed that things are quieter these days. The photo thing is a pain. I have stuff I've not posted because I couldn't be bothered to resize pics etc.

On the other hand when I was recently confused by a steering issue I not only got excellent guiadance, but also all the parts needed including one part from a recent MMA guy I've not met. It's that aspect of this club that is so valuable. People do help,each other out. I've often done it by pm so as not to maybe embarrass somebody new to these cars with a basic query that they're stuck with.

As for the clique thing, that is so old, just talk to any of the guys on here and you'll find them to be decent, helpful folk who also like a good beer.
Let's hope it survives as a small marque club needs all of us as lifeblood.
I recently thought about quitting the car scene and being done with it, the response from fellow MMA folk was great and genuinely helped me decide to hold onto the car for a while yet.
If I quit I'd really miss some of the good people on here.
rockinpete

Post by rockinpete »

Blue wrote:I wouldn't worry too much, just post up the sort of stuff you enjoy reading here, chances are so does everyone else even if they don't comment, perhaps we should have a "like" button too, I know some people have said they have stopped posting stuff 'cos they get no reaction.
Yep, I think they are good points, the like button especially.
rockinpete

Post by rockinpete »

Dom66 wrote:In the past I've started the 'show us yours' and 'random pics' threads in the hope of generating more regular input, which seemed to work for a bit. I guess the downside of a serious and useful forum is folk only use it when something more significant happens rather than posting a load of frivolous or non car related chat like on rods'n'sods. Given the membership though, it does seem to be a small core of more regular posters that keep it going. How to encourage more input ?

For me, I've been busy extending the house so somewhat sidetracked. I did pop the car in to Alders to have the exhaust realigned and a few other minor bits. (Lots of other Mopars moving through there, anyones on here?) Still drive her most days, passed the MOT with an advise on one lower ball joint and she's been accepted for the Firle/BoPeep hill climb next month, which could be a giggle....
My Demon is going to Alders next week for some goodies and Len is gonna have a tinker with my gearbox :thumbright:
There is a green Challenger in there at the moment and have seen three or four mopars in there in the last few months. Richard said he has never seen as many for years.
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Well I ain't planning on going anywhere, or doing the farce book thing either.
Admittedly, I haven't been posting as regularly as I used to , and the 4 door banter has been a bit quiet! ( don't worry. I know it annoys some , so it will be back :D ) , but this has been down to personal stuff going on , and nothing else.
I hope in the future to be a lot more involved with making sure this club stays as good as it is, and hopefully learn enough to benefit future members , or any one with a love of Mopar's
I have nothing but praise , for all the members I have dealt with / drunk beer with / bought stuff off / borrowed stuff off etc etc. And also all the help , offers of help. This is a great club and WILL stand the test of time.
Just like our cars have !!!

Right. I'm off carrying on looking for a house with a double garage.
:thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Steve

Post by Steve »

I used to contribute loads but have found a recent change in my work/ health/ domestic life took over for a while. Its easy to let lifes trials get in the way of things like this. I felt pressure from friends to get onto facebook but (A) didn't like it, (B) hated getting constant emails saying people who once drove through the same postcode wanted to be my friend, and (C) I didn't understand it, so I haven't bothered with it again.

I do need to get back on the general forums more as I have been a bit preoccupied with the events stuff. I love seeing the work you are all doing on your cars but don't think anyone will be overly interested in the 'boring' electrical stuff Im doing on my New Yorker as that's not very 'sexy'.

I agree that it will pick up over the Winter and I will definitely contribute more as the nights draw in,

cheers Steve :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Dart Vader

Post by Dart Vader »

never one to not have a say.....

I'm not having a pop at anything just putting my thoughts in there

I think a lot of it is down to the user friendly nature of FB. I use it a lot, I can instantly pm people, I can ring people through the app even if I don't have their number. upload a video straight to it, pics in a flash......blah blah

I'm sure the committee are doing something about it but that something is likely to cost some money.

maybe let's come at this in a different direction and embrace FB.

let's utilise it's features, it's convenience, and it's technology.

sure, you need to have a FB account, with a bit of guidance you can get your settings correct and limit (note LIMIT, NOT EXCLUDE) most of the pigs Bananarama!.

our MMA page is "members only" so again it can monitor the dross...and weed out the numpty.

I'm not saying free MMA, for what it costs to be a member that's just meal out in money terms.

but we need to adapt to what people use, and like it or not FB has, for the most part, got what people like, simplicity.

maybe we were slow out of the gate with FB.

I'm not saying either that it has to be FB, but certainly let's see if there's a platform that uses the good bits and doesn't use the "look at my cat" element.

I use FB, as do many of us, I've helped non mma members through it, I try to mention MMA to them but some do some don't "get it"

there must be a halfway house,

who else uses a similar club forum, be it tennis or ferret fondling? is it better laid out than ours? suggestions on a postcard please......
Justin "Supreme Leader" Greener
1970 Dodge Dart
1995 Mustang GT
1980 MGBGT
lough3969

Post by lough3969 »

Blimey... what a great response. Well there's certainly no lack of passion on the forum. I'm in agreement with all of you that have mentioned posting pictures, I pretty much always use an iPad or iPhone and posting pics is near impossible. I also agree that this is an incredibly thoughtful and inclusive forum... I do like to read the banter between contributors that obviously know each other well though. I don't get to as many of the meets and racing events I'd like to, but with the forum I feel I can get to know members, albeit over a longer period of time.
As others have said the quality is the thing.

:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Pimps in the Front
Hoes in the Back
Chumps in the Trunk

68 Dart Post
sublimemike
Location: oxford - the dreaming spires where cars in the city are banned

Post by sublimemike »

I'm still here. Its a great forum ,tech support / knowledge is brilliant. Facebook never for me . I bought an old Stingray a couple of years ago and joined the Uk Vette club. The quarterly mag is great but if you think this forum is quiet you should go on theirs and they have thousands of members. I think most of them are just in for the social which is fine rather than spanners and screwdrivers. Any tech stuff I go on the US forums which are far busier.

The photo thing will help and someone give Autofetish a prod to carry on his build thread ...amazing.
if you think speed kills don't get on a plane
Dart Vader

Post by Dart Vader »

lough3969 wrote:Blimey... what a great response. Well there's certainly no lack of passion on the forum. I'm in agreement with all of you that have mentioned posting pictures, I pretty much always use an iPad or iPhone and posting pics is near impossible. I also agree that this is an incredibly thoughtful and inclusive forum... I do like to read the banter between contributors that obviously know each other well though. I don't get to as many of the meets and racing events I'd like to, but with the forum I feel I can get to know members, albeit over a longer period of time.
As others have said the quality is the thing.

:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
to be honest Dorian, we were really just playing hide and seek with you. the forums never been so busy....must be your iphoney.......

seriously though, good topic raised.
Justin "Supreme Leader" Greener
1970 Dodge Dart
1995 Mustang GT
1980 MGBGT
charger01

Post by charger01 »

I have lots to post but I can't load pictures off this phone. I have just converted the car to powersteering so would love to do a write up on it for newcomers to the forum but without pictures its a waste of time.
Having said that, I have met and made some great contacts & friends
on here and love the family feel this forum has always had . Hopefully if the picture issue is sorted the posts will start flowing again.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1501705328314.jpg
FB_IMG_1501705328314.jpg (226.24 KiB) Viewed 1388 times