Rob & Stu's 63 Polara 500

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I prefer the look of mine with white lettering on the tyres.
:drwho:

I have been reading the details of the shifter adjustment knowing I need to fit my kick down cable on of these days. Good work Rob, hope it works :thumbright:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

RobTwin wrote:...and there was me thinking we needed more biscuit n cake debates :-k
:shock:

I thought that was code ;) and was why those debates had gone to 'The Watershed' :oops:

Silly me.

Anyway, cheers for the explanation, Rob, although, em, it was kind of tentative. Sure you know what is going on ? :)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Good to hear techi threads like these Rob,keep it coming :read2:

:thumbright:
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
latil

Post by latil »

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Thanks Latil - hadnt seen that Imperial one before, but there looks to be a few differences between the earlier trans & ours :(

Had a look at the other one last week, but again it seems to be more for console shifter versions rather than pushbuttons. Some interesting stuff there tho so will have a closer look :-k
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Next installment.....

Decided to go ahead and get the cable replaced as we're pretty well convinced it's that that's causing the pushbuttons to stick. There's only about 1/2" gap in a couple of places as it runs down next to the exhaust & 'header' flange.
Options are to get one from Imperial Services in the US, who may be able to make one a bit longer so we can re-route it to avoid the exhaust, or to use Speedy Cables (now in Swansea) who will definitely be able to supply a longer version and may even be able to re-use the ends of our cable.
We'll give Speedy a ring first as we've heard good reports on them
http://www.speedycables.co.uk/ and they may even be cheaper :shock:

We used a bit of pneumatic pipe to work out a better route for the new cable (the green stuff in the pics). We reckon 8 inches longer should do it :shock:
Once off, and with the heat-refelective material removed, we could see the cable had been burned thru at some point, prob before the wrap was put on tho :roll: Dunno how much damage internally, but it was pretty damn hard to move the inner without a lot of force.

So we'll have to wait n see what Speedy Cables can do. Let's hope they live up to their name.

Other little prob is getting the bracket off that attaches it to the pushbutton unit. It's been bent over (to retain the cable) so much over the years, it will more than likely break off if we force it open (last pic).
We'll measure the old one so we can get a new one fabricated if needed :evil:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Just as a matter of interest, Rob, how high do you have your car ?

And you do you get it up there ?

Your photos from underneath look pretty good, so I was just wondering ?

All the best
latil

Post by latil »

That outer cable looks well fried,guess the plastic has run through and set round the inner wire :roll: Any way to mod the bracket so the cable end drops in the slot and then has a bolt across the top to stop the ferrule escaping?Got to be better than having to squeeze the bracket every time.

RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Yes Steve, we'll probably do something like that, or have another small piece bolted onto it that retains the ferrule (good word :thumbright: )

The car's only up on axle stands. With the front wheel hanging in the breeze, I can only just about get my arm between the underside of the tyre & the floor. I guess there's about 18" between the trans oil filter & the floor.
Used Stu's Kodak for these pics - it seems to have a wider angle lens than my Sony so can cope better with close ups like these.

Cant wait for it all to be back together, but in a strange way I'll miss going home with trans fluid & dead woodlice in my hair.... :working:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I'm still diggin' the detail I can see on your super clean motor from those shots. Mind you your only in Hemel aren't ya? I could practically see you from Harp :lol:
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Hi Steve, yes I am, but the car lives in Hitchin. Should all be in Harpenden on July 25th, if all goes to plan :roll:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Takin to long on those motors Rob n Stu if you don't ask me :drwho:
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

By your standards Adam, yes! :lol:
Only been getting a few hours a week recently, thanks to small kiddies and nagging wifies :wack:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Only messin Rob,keep up the excellent work :thumbright: