Redrilling wheels to make them mopar PCD

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Redrilling wheels to make them mopar PCD

Post by Anonymous »

Anyone know anyone in the South East who could slot some chevy pattern(?) wolfrace to 4.5 pcd? seen a set of wheels cheap
BUDGIE

Post by BUDGIE »

:shock: DON'T do it
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

can you explain?
(or tell me where theres a set of 15 inch alloys that will go on my car:)
BUDGIE

Post by BUDGIE »

WillDatsun wrote:can you explain?
(or tell me where theres a set of 15 inch alloys that will go on my car:)
Will, nut's may well secure the wheel, but it is located correctly by the
hub to wheel center, without this correct location you will almost certainly
have an imbalance symptom. You could fit "spigot rings" to overcome
this. I would not advise you to "re-drill" any wheel, no mater what the application, I have seen some real nasty's belive me :(

BTW if your not in a hurry, I will have a set of 15"x7" Turbo-ves's come
mid/late April.
Guy

Post by Guy »

:iagree: when I was in the tyre trade I saw some of these redrilled wheels not nice.can make the wheel rim weak in a very important area I was called onto the motorway one night whilst on call to fit a spare wheel on a peug 205 only to find that the wheelnuts had not come off but the centre of the wheel had come apart :shock: this car had redrilled rims on it
Kev

Post by Kev »

So what gives with the multi slots some of us have? Are they bad, or rubbish? Tell us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

some wheels were and still are suplied with more than one set of holes , unilug wheels were all the rage a while back(cheaper for the manufacturer) i would sugest not sloting the wheels but instead drilling a complete new set of holes (only possible if the mounting flange of the wheel is solid) i agree with the others , this is a last resort and whatever way yo go you must ensure a good wheel centre to hub location (spigot rings)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I figured slotting the existing rather than drilling new would be safer as leaving more metal. And surely it would locate ok beacuse all the slots are at different angles so each one would stop the next moving ?

I already bought the wolfrace now, but I guess I could sell them again.

Budgie, definately interested, dropping you an email now.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Kev wrote:So what gives with the multi slots some of us have? Are they bad, or rubbish? Tell us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They were designed to be slotted Kev. Very thick in that area for extra strength if you look. Also they use those long nuts that go through the wheel and a big washer spreading the load.

It may well be possible to reproduce this on a non-slotted wheel if it is thick enough but I wouldn't risk my life doing it. As others have said. Not enough good engineers. Too many horror stories. You are basically moving the stresses and loads to an area outside of the design parameters.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Also they use those long nuts that go through the wheel and a big washer spreading the load.
These are spigot wheels
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I thought the spiggot was the spacer in the centre bore, not the washers on the lugs themselves.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Wheels that do not centre on the wheel nut i.e tapered nuts are spigot wheels they usually centre them selfs onto a spacer in the centre bore but can locate on dowels damm nighmare to get off and on when disimular metals are used alloy/steel quite rare to see these days as they were a poor design last one i saw was on a fiat truck of about 1950 (no it didnt have alloy wheels)
BUDGIE

Post by BUDGIE »

It's a simple rule Kev, like Dave said, multi fitment are designed as such,
Just FORGET ANY DRILLING :!:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

back to the original question though - anywhere that does this? :?: