Challenger seat covers

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Challenger seat covers

Post by Anonymous »

:?: I need to purchase new seat covers for my '70 Challenger convertible from Year One.
I have had the VIN Decoded, but nothing tells me if it'is an SE model. I'm guessing it is by the seat cover pattern, but it defineately hasn't got the leather inserts. They are all vinyl, but not of the TA/RT pattern design.
So I don't really know what to buy. Any ideas? The trim code is HRX9.
colin.parkinson@virgin.net
Alex

Post by Alex »

Welcome to the board !

Check the price for covers with Legendary auto interiors before you buy from Year one, they supply them, although sometimes they are more expensive !

Dave R will let you know what covers to get, or pop over to nis site for a peek ! http://dodgechallenger.org.uk/

Let us know how you get on !
Kev

Post by Kev »

Welcome aboard, Colin! Here is a pic of an hrx9 interior.
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

That is the URL for my message board Alex. The web site is www.dodgechallenger.co.uk :wink:

No such thing as a convertible SE model.

Off the top of my head HRX9 is all black leather. I can look it up to be sure later if you want.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

BTW your Challenger looks a bit like the one racing me at the first Mopar Nats 11 years ago.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Colin, check out http://www.aarta.com/interiors/interiors.html which is where Kev stole the pic from. HRX9 is indeed the black leather interior, although it is only the front seats which are leather.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

My information is that the rear bench was leather too. Unless the T/A was different for some reason? I will ask a T/A expert.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Dave, yes that sure is me racing you in the 'Go Green' Challenger at the first Mopar Nats.
My seat covers have the same pattern as pictured above, but mine are defineately, defineately not leather, or have leather inserts. I've had a second opinion from a trimmer on that too.
Click here to view mine: http://community.webshots.com/user/koolstude Look in the 'Temp' album.
Year One list a 1971 Challenger R/T with deluxe interor with a Belmont grain inserts & Coachman grain skirts, which are vinyl judging by the price. Could mine be these? Possibly seats have been changed, although I can't imagine that. Maybe it came with '71 seat covers, as the wheels too are 15" Rallye with the later centre caps. Also the colour I've been told the 'Go Green' paint is a rare colour on a '70 as this was a '71 colour.
Could it be a late '70 car? but according to fender tag, the scheduled production date was for 06/06/70
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 09, 04 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Unless your car is a 340 it didn't come with 15" wheels. Leather inserts rings a bell with me. Leave it with me and I will look into it. The code is for black leather seats for sure but something in the back of my head remembers something about inserts.

A June 1970 build date is late in the model year. They start making the next years models in July.

You could order FJ6 "Green-Go" (not go-green!) anytime after Feb. 24th 1970. It was an extra $14 on the cost of the car.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I am still trying to find out for sure but I have a feeling the seats only had leather inserts rather that being all leather. The pattern however would be the same as the photo Kev posted.

I will let you know when I find out more.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

:? Yes Dave, I think you are right. Somewhere along the lines, mines had vinyl ones put in. I've got to think now if it's woth spending the extra cash on replacing with the leather insert covers or vinyl ones. Leather are quite a bit extra. Would it really de-value the car if I put vinyl ones in?
It's not a numbers matching car.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

If it was a 340 package car or big block R/T then it would be worth a lot more restored to as near original as possible.

But if it was 318 or non-R/T 383 powered the value is about the same even if it is not correct. Many have been cloned and have sold for more than they would have with their 318s.

These cars are getting VERY hard to find and when you do find them the prices are getting very silly. A Challenger convertible is a valuble and rare thing. Look after it. But don't worry about de-valuing it because it will always sell as long as you don't get too greedy on the price.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Mine was a 318 car, but has been fitted with a 383. That's an improvement in my book.
Talking of value, any rough ideas what these convertibles are worth these days?
Mine's not concours, but i'd say it's a good condition useable car. Floor pan & chassis rails are very good & solid & never welded to the best of my knowledge. It's always been garaged whilst here in the UK. (I bought it from the person who imported it about 11 years ago). The engine is very good, as I totally re-built it a few years ago.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

It's only worth ?2,000 mate. I will do you a favour and buy it from you for ?2,200. :twisted:

Seriously I am usless when it comes to pricing cars. There are others on this message board and also on my Challenger message board that are much better at this than me.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I tell you what. I will have a stab at this and see if I get shot down. :roll:

On the infomation you have given me and without seeing the car myself I will say ?15,000.