Santa Pod memories

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Graham Martin

Post by Graham Martin »

Brings back memory's and seeing the vx490 funny car made me think of ed shavers rear engine funny car
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Pete wrote:I will always remember Henk Vink as well.
I don't think his bike was ever upright going down the track, always had a permanent torque steer list :D
Pete wrote:Who saw SAMMY MILLER run??? ;) 8-) 8-)
Yes, fortunate to see him a couple of times. I remember the runs in awe, but for some strange reason the dump truck they used always prings to mind :D
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Pete

Post by Pete »

Henk was a big old boy (literally!!) and he really used to muscle those bikes down the track, as you say, usually only using half the width of the slick.

Either lots or recreational drugs or seriously big cajones!!
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
RM23

santa pod memories

Post by RM23 »

great photos love seeing these old pics great cars looks like it was more fun in the 70s and 80s cheers twinnies :thumbright: :read2:
watch out for the quiet ones ...
Jim

Post by Jim »

1969 for me.

I'll always remember USAF Sergeant Doug Harler beating hell out of his 68 Charger R/T every other weekend.
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Lots of memories there!!
Probably 79-80 was my first trip. Probably two of the pics that resonated (well they all did really) were the Jade Warrior 'bike' that IIRC Angus McPhail designed, built, and 'rode' - utter nutcase - and the last pic of the cow!!

Even an animal couldn't stand being inside those Pod toilets, survival instincts meant it would rather walk through the wall than stay in another second......just how I remember them!!

Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
mad machs

Post by mad machs »

MrNorm wrote: those Pod toilets
Pod Bogsâ„¢

against the Geneva Convention & Hague Treaty.

how no one died is beyond me :lol:
Mike that is called Mike.

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Much as I liked "Mr Shifter" it will always be Micks Superbee " Dodge Fever" that I remember from my early visits to the Pod. One of the cars that got me into Mopar.Only picture I can find has it in the background.
Attachments
superbee.jpg
superbee.jpg (216.11 KiB) Viewed 918 times
sublimemike
Location: oxford - the dreaming spires where cars in the city are banned

Post by sublimemike »

Nobbie Hills Houndog team the first time I went what ever year that was. I still have signed picture of both the rail and the funny car!! Owen Hayward was on duty behind the wheel.
I thumbed a lift with a friend when I was 14 or 15. In the days when hitching was common.
if you think speed kills don't get on a plane