A tall tale?

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Stu Twin

A tall tale?

Post by Stu Twin »

I heard a story today from a mate, but on reflection it seems very cliche'd and most likely a right load of old bowlox.
But anyway this chap i know, well his mate wanted to buy a barn off a farmer in Essex recently, and before the deal went through he said 'what do you want to do with all this old stuff in the barn' ? The farmer came over, had a look, turns out there was an old car on a trailer. He said give me £6k for the stuff on top of the price of the barn.
This is the bit that sounds a bit cliche'd, it was a Hemi Cuda that's been in there for 30 years.
He's already turned down £150k.

Now i'm not saying that i believe it or not. But if it is true it shows that these things are still out there.

If i was the chap with the barn I think i'd have done a bit of research on what was under the tarp...

anyone know of a Hemi Cuda that's been missing in Essex for 30 years?
Captain Chaos

Re: A tall tale?

Post by Captain Chaos »

I guess it comes under the anything is possible heading.

I have bought cars on the strength of a throwaway conversation and had a result.

A couple of years ago I bought a Scimitar that was described as unroadworthy for a few hundred sight unseen,when I got it back to the garage it was only a clean and an mot away from a slightly higher price.😉
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Not heard nothing from the chaps I know round here Paul. I’ll keep my ears peeled :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Adam

Post by Adam »

Sounds unlikely Stu, but you never know.

Local Chevy chap swears his son in law has a Max Wedge 413 motor, but I've yet to see it.

On the other hand, I know of a complete Boss 429 motor locally, and I have seen that one. Stuff is still out there.
Blue

Post by Blue »

And who told you this story Stu?
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

Blue wrote: Fri Apr 06, 18 6:20 pm And who told you this story Stu?
Del Boy :roll: If it's true get said mate to find out the reg or even better get a photo.
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Stu Twin wrote: Fri Mar 30, 18 9:00 pm I heard a story today from a mate, but on reflection it seems very cliche'd and most likely a right load of old bowlox.
But anyway this chap i know, well his mate wanted to buy a barn off a farmer in Essex recently, and before the deal went through he said 'what do you want to do with all this old stuff in the barn' ? The farmer came over, had a look, turns out there was an old car on a trailer. He said give me £6k for the stuff on top of the price of the barn.
This is the bit that sounds a bit cliche'd, it was a Hemi Cuda that's been in there for 30 years.
He's already turned down £150k.

Now i'm not saying that i believe it or not. But if it is true it shows that these things are still out there.

If i was the chap with the barn I think i'd have done a bit of research on what was under the tarp...

anyone know of a Hemi Cuda that's been missing in Essex for 30 years?

I had a call today and during time spent on the phone i was informed about this Hemi cuda it is app a old drag race car but never raced over here but it is supposed to be true,, he has turned down, 100k that has got exagerated in Stu,s post

bloody amazing
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

We saw photos of this car today... :D

Now sold to a rich foreigner so presumably going abroad... :cry:
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

RobTwin wrote: Sun Apr 22, 18 2:01 am We saw photos of this car today... :D

Now sold to a rich foreigner so presumably going abroad... :cry:
Any idea where it was in Essex ???
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Blue

Post by Blue »

The half dozen people that knew about this were asked not to go public with the the story until given the nod. When given the nod I’ll tell you all about it.
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Blue wrote: Sun Apr 22, 18 2:16 pm The half dozen people that knew about this were asked not to go public with the the story until given the nod. When given the nod I’ll tell you all about it.
Nice one Blue :thumbright:
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

amazingly I found out about it via the usa and saw the pictures sent from the usa, a b5 blue car non rally dash x racer of some description but not cut by the look of it, door and dash vin present,
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Blue

Post by Blue »

Ok, I was told today I could go public so here it is. Stu's original posting is largely correct except it started with a death, the deceased's brother was selling off the estate. The car was only discovered when the new owner was clearing out all the old tat he'd bought, the brother knew nothing about the car and wasn't aware it was in there. The guy wasn't into cars so it's a mystery not only why he had it, but why it had been stashed away for at least 30 years and probably longer. A pair of spare wheels with slicks on were found next to the car. I have never seen or heard of the car before, I believe it has never been driven or raced in the UK, it is unregistered and without US Plates. There is an inspection sticker on the screen from New York state in 1976 and a decal from the first Hemi reunion the same year, having looked carefully I couldn't find any evidence of later use than that. It seems fair to assume it arrived here soon after that date and never turned a wheel again.
Enough of the theories here's the facts, 1970 hemicuda,4 speed, Dana, manual steering and non power drum brakes, no rally dash no console. In other words about as bare bones a Hemi car as you could order at the time. About the only options ticked off were black vinyl top and bright wheel arch mouldings. Originally a B5 blue car with a black plain jane interior, a build sheet in excellent condition was under the back seat so I could decode it. You can only assume the original buyer ordered it to go racing. At some point it was painted black, the wheel arch trims and Hemi badges removed and the bolt on rear gravel pan changed for one without holes for the exhaust tips. Possibly this was done to give the car a more stealthy appearance. It has headers with a system ending at the axle with turndowns, there's a prop loop, engine is chained down and the shaker is attached with quick release fittings for rapid carb access. There is a Hurst line loc, Mallory rev limiter and Stewart warner Tach, oil and water temp gauges and a Hurst super shifter and a big old chrome fire extinguisher. That is the total extent of modification as far as is evident other than the Keystone wheels (it was originally a steel wheel dog dish car) and the inner fender lip bent under for slick clearance. There is no further weight removal or safety equipment so given where it was last registered and it's deliberately low key appearance it seems it was most likely a street race car. The 9000 odd miles on the odo also hint at that. Condition wise you'd say that mileage was accurate, all the interior save for dust and a little mildew looks brand new. look under the dash and the wiring is clean and bright and bare metal bits are still unrusted. So all in all it's in quite remarkable condition, no damage, the odd bit of surface rust here and there, nothing really. Unfortunately the Keystone wheels have suffered but amazingly the flat tyres pumped up and hold air.
So there you have it, hopefully at some point it's past will be revealed, I'd love to hear it. I can't go into all the shenanigans of the past year, that would read like a film script in itself, but I am reliably informed it's on it's way to auction in a foreign land.
Suppose you want to see photos then? Sorry the quality isn't great we only had limited access and couldn't get the car out in the open as I would have liked. The location isn't where it was found by the way and it isn't there now.
Attachments
IMG_0040.jpg
IMG_0040.jpg (187.15 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0041.jpg (206.88 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
IMG_0042.jpg
IMG_0042.jpg (226.84 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
IMG_0044.jpg
IMG_0044.jpg (149.26 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
IMG_0045.jpg
IMG_0045.jpg (163.05 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
IMG_0050.jpg
IMG_0050.jpg (194.48 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
IMG_0051.jpg
IMG_0051.jpg (111.91 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
IMG_0053.jpg
IMG_0053.jpg (172.34 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
IMG_0054.jpg
IMG_0054.jpg (200.93 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
IMG_0619.jpg
IMG_0619.jpg (222.45 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Wow cheers for the info Blue, definitely sounds like it was a sleeper for the street.
What a find :thumbright:
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
Blue

Post by Blue »

You're not wrong, it's amazing such a car could have been here undiscovered for so long and not really deteriorated.