MOT exemption

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

MattH

Re: MOT exemption

Post by MattH »

MrNorm wrote: Wed May 23, 18 12:48 pm OK, I'm confused. I went online to the tax my vehicle page and entered reg# and V5C reference number, and it said "Vehicle details could not be found". However I did the a reg# check and it correctly recognises the vehicle and says it has SORN, and for the MOT says 'no results returned'. The log book (V5C) has the taxation class as historic vehicle. Any ideas??
Is it insured Gavin? that might prevent you taxing it if its off raod risks only.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

That could be it Matt - it is insured for laid-up only. Would that prevent it showing up on the DVLA site?
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Stu Twin

Post by Stu Twin »

OOH OOH, GETTING IT ON THE ROAD?

:D
MattH

Post by MattH »

MrNorm wrote: Thu May 24, 18 12:28 pm That could be it Matt - it is insured for laid-up only. Would that prevent it showing up on the DVLA site?
quite possibly as the insurers wouldn't put the details of an off road policy on the national system that links up with DVLA.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
RW71

Post by RW71 »

What about if your MOT is still valid when you re tax the vehicle? Do you let the MOT lapse at its expiry date and then declare it MOT exempt/VHI at the next tax renewal date ie next year? There may be quite a long time with the vehicle being undeclared between those two dates. :scratch:
Last edited by RW71 on Fri May 25, 18 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

OK thanks Matt, guess I will wait!
Don't get too excited Stu :D at this stage I was just trying to get it on whatever list it needs to be on now rather than when they change their mind down the road! (but obviously no point unless I do intend to eventually get it back on road...still the plan!)
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Adam

Post by Adam »

RW71 wrote: Fri May 25, 18 12:17 pm What about if your MOT is still valid when you re tax the vehicle? Do you let the MOT lapse at its expiry date and then declare it MOT exempt/VHI at the next tax renewal date ie next year? There may be quite a long time with the vehicle being undeclared between those two dates. :scratch:
Yes, I'm in this position. Tax due March 2019, but MOT valid until May 2019, so I'm assuming it will just check for valid MOT, and not give me the opportunity to declare it exempt. I'm guessing I will have to re-tax it again after the MOT expires which seems to have worked for other folks.
aussie pete

Post by aussie pete »

Hi, first of all apologies if this has been brought up before,
I spoke to a friend in the classic motorcycle club about this and he said to be careful of insurance as they have been told that the vehicle must be roadworthy and the proof of that is an mot, so without an mot they have no proof of roadworthyness and will not insure or will invalidate your insurance without one, it may be nothing but it may be worth checking
Steve

Post by Steve »

Im a bit confused still re this.

My MOT runs out 17th Sept 2018 but taxed until 1st March 2019.

Got a form from the post office but it says on it to present it at the post office when I tax it. I tax online (exempt so no cost) but even if I did go to the post office to tax it, the MOT runs out this month. Do I do nothing until 1st of March and declare it MOT exempt then with the reminder form that comes in the post and the new MOT declaration form or do I have to do anything on or before 17th Sept??

All very confusing and not clear to me on the DVLA website :study: :study:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Steve

Post by Steve »

As if by magic, I have just found this......

You must apply for a vehicle tax exemption to stop paying vehicle tax. This is sometimes called putting a vehicle into the ‘historic tax class’.
You do not have to apply to stop getting an MOT for your vehicle each year. However, you must still keep it in a roadworthy condition.

DVLA website. I take this to mean that I don't have to do anything.....I think :D
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

:? :? :?

I got mine MOT as the DVLA site said it was taxed and MOT ran out, I played it safe, it was good to pass MOT, but that was on 23 May this year when it was just happening.

Hopefully a little clearer now.
LONGSHOT

Post by LONGSHOT »

i "taxed" the dart online then took it for mot a few weeks later(tax ran out a few weeks after mot was due)
declared exempt from mot online at time of taxing and all fine-still shows up as mot`d on dvla check- so all good.
peace of mind for 45 quid. :thumbright:
one day your life will flash before your eyes....
just make sure its worth watching.
dave" longshot" long
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

I'll be getting my classic cars mot'ed. Its an opportunity to have a good look over it and an extra pair of eyes to look it over and maybe spot something that I may have missed.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I had read somewhere that the reason this has been brought in is because technically, very few of our cars, regardless of how well maintained they are, probably wont pass the new MOT test. To reflect this, they are exempt with a view that as the years go by, there will be fewer and fewer on the roads. I would dispute this a little as it is a 'rolling' 40 year old exemption so in 40 years time, a Nissan leaf tissue fart which is almost carbon neutral (forgetting how many rain forests were lost building it of course) will be exempt. I would rather get the mechanic who tests my car to leave it without an MOT (or more to the point, a failed MOT potentially if he follows all the rules) if it doesn't need one, and do me a yearly 'safety check' with an invoice to show this as part of the provenance of the car for future sale purposes. I will discuss this with him next week

cheers Steve :thumbright:
Prothed

Post by Prothed »

I asked my MOT guy about the changes and he said he would not do a 'safety check' because of the unknown possible legal issues, plus that the DVLA apparently clamp down on MOT stations that skirt their rules. This is why you no longer see 'Pre-MOT' tests advertised.
The main issue must be whether your insurance cover is affected by having no MOT and this is still a grey area...