Thinking of selling...need some advice

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

ChrisN34

Thinking of selling...need some advice

Post by ChrisN34 »

Hi all, this is by no-means certain, but its something I've been thinking about recently. Thankfully the Duster doesn't have much upkeep. Outside the yearly insurance, my only costs are the £40 a month i pay to rent garage space, HOWEVER, im looking to buy some property in the near-ish future and the Duster is probably my only means of boosting my deposit.

Now i love the car, and like i said this isn't an easy decision that i am thinking of making and i here comes the point where i imagine everyone comes to think of. How much can i get for the car. I Know i'll never get back what i put into it, and the current market isnt the strongest, but does anyone have any insight on how much the car might be worth.

I'll attach some pics, but the basics - its 71 Duster, non-matching 318 w/headers+Holly Carb+Intake, fairly recent (excellent) paintjob by Ash Rawson, almost entirely brand new interior (only bits left are the sun visors), plus loads of spares and extra bits and bobs. I Know i'll probably be disappointed with how much i might get for it, but thought i would get some opinions before i actually make the decision.

Cheers all
Attachments
34960247440_575675e686_h.jpg
34960247440_575675e686_h.jpg (116.23 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
745.jpeg
745.jpeg (106.87 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
IMG_20190528_133621192.jpg
IMG_20190528_133621192.jpg (120.38 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
DaveB

Re: Thinking of selling...need some advice

Post by DaveB »

Recent cars for sale
72 Duster,stunning paint in yellow,383ci,TTI headers,AREs,8.75/3.55/sure grip,727,manual VB,glass 6pak hood,no rot 17k

71 Demon,plum paint,340 4 speed,fitted auto,centrelines etc, 16k

72 Dart,318,auto,clean green paint,think this was 12-13k ish

73 Duster,mint metallic gold/orange paint 318,auto,7.25 open axle,alloy wheels,nice car 13k

Yours will appeal to many with black paintjob,value 12-15k I reckon.

Keep the Duster,you may not get on the Mopar ladder,for a long time if you sell :thumbright:
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

You can live in a car but you can't drive a house...
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

Sorry to hear you’re selling. The market at that moment isn’t too bad. People are fed up of lockdown, still have their jobs or furloughed, summer just around the corner and people are going a bit crazy buying stuff. I’d take some really good photos with a Canon / Nikon SLR (nice low angles and lots of reflections, 50mm lens aperture, like that shot at Brooklands) and stuff it on eBay with lots of info. Shouldn’t take long to sell.
Mark
1970 Challenger A66
www.dodgechallenger.uk
Pete

Post by Pete »

At the end of the day you have to do what you have to do, I have sold "Keepers" to finance more important things in life.

I am sure you will do the right thing - you will know accordingly the best course of action..
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
MattH

Post by MattH »

I'm so glad I never sold my Challenger. I could NEVER afford to buy one now.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

MattH wrote: Thu Jun 11, 20 8:17 pm I'm so glad I never sold my Challenger. I could NEVER afford to buy one now.
Especially at the value Classic Car Weekly put on it :lol:
MattH

Post by MattH »

RobTwin wrote: Fri Jun 12, 20 12:27 am
MattH wrote: Thu Jun 11, 20 8:17 pm I'm so glad I never sold my Challenger. I could NEVER afford to buy one now.
Especially at the value Classic Car Weekly put on it :lol:
I didn't quote that value!
I nearly sold mine in 2009 for £3K whilst it was in bits.

Chris, I know that getting funds for a property is important, but if you can avoid selling, do so. You have done alot to that car and made it your own. Try your best to keep it, if it doesn't cost you much to keep it in its current state, it is an asset.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
morgan

Post by morgan »

Here here. I mean I've probably spent what its worth and more, but no way I could justify it now.
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

Are you able to do overtime to boost your income? You maybe able to earn the extra money you need. Obviously this will take some time but property values are likely to fall anyway so this may work to your advantage meaning you'll get more for your money and you get to keep the Duster.

I sold my first Charger in 2007 and still regret it to this day. At the time I was convinced I was doing the right thing. It wasn't.
ChrisN34

Post by ChrisN34 »

Cheers all for your thoughts. Coincidentally had a message from Ash Rawson who echoed your sentiments. I Think i'll keep an eye on prices of Dusters for the time being, but i cannot see the market getting good enough to sell this year or possibly even next summer and I Think if i were to sell, i cannot imagine being able to get back on the Mopar ladder anytime soon (if ever).

I Think at this time the only thing that would sway me to sell outright is if my ideal replacement comes up (70s D100 Shortbed Stepside). Suppose i need to find another way of raising some cash.
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

It's surprising how quickly you can get cash together if you're prepared to "exist" rather than live for a bit.
If you can cut it out of your life for 6 months consider doing it.
Beans on toast / omlette every day, no beer, no tobbacco and no starbucks cancel subscriptions etc etc...
Soon adds up. :thumbright:
-Jon.
polosteve

Post by polosteve »

ChrisN34 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 20 6:55 pm Cheers all for your thoughts. Coincidentally had a message from Ash Rawson who echoed your sentiments. I Think i'll keep an eye on prices of Dusters for the time being, but i cannot see the market getting good enough to sell this year or possibly even next summer and I Think if i were to sell, i cannot imagine being able to get back on the Mopar ladder anytime soon (if ever).

I Think at this time the only thing that would sway me to sell outright is if my ideal replacement comes up (70s D100 Shortbed Stepside). Suppose i need to find another way of raising some cash.

I like that era D100, going up in value the short ones, you could get a decent one for your car. I doubt you will have any problem selling 8-)
ChrisN34

Post by ChrisN34 »

Hi all, so i still have the car, however ive not touched it in years now. Still thinking of selling but im a bit out of the loop at the moment.

Whats the market like at the moment for selling Mopars?

Cheers all
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

Just read my comment from June 2020. Well house prices didn't drop did they. :roll: I don't know how anyone is supposed to get on the property ladder these days.

I don't know much about the Mopar market but everything seems to be priced high these days.