1967 Barracuda Rag Top. RHD.

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Trigger_Andy

1967 Barracuda Rag Top. RHD.

Post by Trigger_Andy »

Bought this last night (after a few Rums) Quite rare I believe being a Rag Top. Unfortunately almost everything is missing, whats in the pics is what comes with it. Sourcing parts will obviously be a struggle.

I'm sure there used to be another one in the MMA some years ago? I have a feeling it went back to the US with its owner though?

Guess I'll need to start sourcing parts. :D
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (86.43 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (8).jpg (71.87 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg (64.54 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
I'm here because Im not all there!!

Save the tree's.........Burn Rubber!!
Pete

Re: 1967 Barracuda Rag Top. RHD.

Post by Pete »

Andy Neal had one and emigrated to upstate NY with it and "Tweety" the Fastback Barracuda.

Alex Doig and I spent happy times cruising the turnpikes in the 'Vert. Happy days.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Yes, Andy had a thing for RHD barracudas in the US!!
Nice project, I'd say that the convertible-specific parts will be the main issue, hopefully they are all there - it looks like the top is, hopefully any mouldings like A-pillar, header rail, clips, etc
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

aussie valiant dash from a car that is a year younger will probably fit

so VF VG dash would fit and would be the base model US 67 68 A body dash i.e probably not right for a barracuda but at least of the correct vintage for the car would fit take most standard A body parts and switch gear and of course RHD

DB motors again , the guys in Leicester had one years ago as a breaker...

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Tony O would probably know the history of that car if it used to live in the UK.
'Obsession' is a bit of an understatement.... eh Tony ;)
Blue

Post by Blue »

Andy Neals was a '67, it was in union jack paint last time I saw a photo of it. That one you have there is a '69, is it a sort of purple colour? If so it's likely to be the one that was on eBay maybe 10 years ago, it was mostly complete sitting in someones backyard as I recall, had a tatty white top covered in overspray. The bonnet on a '69 is the same as a '73-'74 Dart which is probably easier to find. External trim for '67-'69 Barracudas is expensive and different for each year, '69 trim is a little cheaper than the other years though if eBay prices are anything to go by.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

MrNorm wrote: Wed Jun 17, 20 12:36 pm Yes, Andy had a thing for RHD barracudas in the US!!
Nice project, I'd say that the convertible-specific parts will be the main issue, hopefully they are all there - it looks like the top is, hopefully any mouldings like A-pillar, header rail, clips, etc
I think everything apart from whats in the pictures is lost. The seller is delivering it on Monday so I'll quiz him to see whats happened with the other bits.

Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

Dave999 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 20 2:10 pm aussie valiant dash from a car that is a year younger will probably fit

so VF VG dash would fit and would be the base model US 67 68 A body dash i.e probably not right for a barracuda but at least of the correct vintage for the car would fit take most standard A body parts and switch gear and of course RHD

DB motors again , the guys in Leicester had one years ago as a breaker...

Dave
Ok cool. :) I've since had a picture of the fender Tag and its a '69. Out of interest why would a dash from a '67-69 Aussie A-body not fit but one from a '66 will?

Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

RobTwin wrote: Fri Jun 19, 20 2:32 pm Tony O would probably know the history of that car if it used to live in the UK.
'Obsession' is a bit of an understatement.... eh Tony ;)
Ok cool, I'll maybe drop him a message. I think its been a UK car all its life?

Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

Blue wrote: Fri Jun 19, 20 3:49 pm Andy Neals was a '67, it was in union jack paint last time I saw a photo of it. That one you have there is a '69, is it a sort of purple colour? If so it's likely to be the one that was on eBay maybe 10 years ago, it was mostly complete sitting in someones backyard as I recall, had a tatty white top covered in overspray. The bonnet on a '69 is the same as a '73-'74 Dart which is probably easier to find. External trim for '67-'69 Barracudas is expensive and different for each year, '69 trim is a little cheaper than the other years though if eBay prices are anything to go by.
The seller listed it as a '67 but when he sent me a pic of the fender tag its clearly a '69 as you've spotted. :)

Interesting to know it was on ebay 10 years ago, sounds very much likely its the same car. Hopefully I'll find out why its been stripped down and abandoned. Interesting the '73-74 Dart bonnet is the same, yeh deffo easier to source.

Its arriving Monday so I'll get a closer look then. See how bad the rust is. :O

Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

Got the Barracuda back to the Lock-up this morning. Over all its surprisingly solid actually. The front chassis leg needs welding though. The Drivers side where the steering is bolted to is surprisingly ok though. Its the other side where the Pitman arm bolts to that needs the welding.

The rear Diff is a 741 and having lifted the rear wheels off of the ground both wheels spin in the same direction. Does this indicate its a suregrip in there?

Matt

Post by Matt »

Either that , or someone's welded the spider gears up ...

or fitted a spool

or done a one-wheel burnout and seized the spiders to the shaft.
Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

Matt wrote: Mon Jun 22, 20 1:02 pm Either that , or someone's welded the spider gears up ...

or fitted a spool

or done a one-wheel burnout and seized the spiders to the shaft.
Good point! Only one way to find out I guess!

Blue

Post by Blue »

All the UK sold RHD cars came with Formula S suspension so should have a sure grip and 3.23 gears.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

Blue wrote: Mon Jun 22, 20 3:12 pm All the UK sold RHD cars came with Formula S suspension so should have a sure grip and 3.23 gears.
I mind the '68 Fastback I had had a 741 case and 3.23 gears but I think it had an open diff, but who knows what happened in its life?

Are the UK A Body Barracuda's basically Formula S cars without the 340?