Rough running, help!

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

morgan

Re: Rough running, help!

Post by morgan »

I recently had a backfiring problem - chased everything out. In the end , in desperation, changed cap and arm - instant cure. Couldnt see anything wrong but it sorted it. So Worth a go for sure...
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

I was super hopeful when I read this as I'd just taken delivery of new ones but, no bloody difference. A weak spark makes sense though, the plugs are fairly new but I'll pull them and see how they look, perhaps try and test leads and coil as well....
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

So, just got back on this after having to actually work most of this week !

Popped the coil off, which is mounted horizontally. I gave it a shake and can hear liquid so presume it's the oil filled type, I always thought these should be mounted vertically ? Having said that, the primary circuit is reading 1.8 ohms and the secondary 11k, so it seems to be sound....

I'll give the mounting bracket a quick coat of paint while it's off and have a look at the plugs.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Dom66 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 20 12:36 pm So, just got back on this after having to actually work most of this week !

Popped the coil off, which is mounted horizontally. I gave it a shake and can hear liquid so presume it's the oil filled type, I always thought these should be mounted vertically ? Having said that, the primary circuit is reading 1.8 ohms and the secondary 11k, so it seems to be sound....

I'll give the mounting bracket a quick coat of paint while it's off and have a look at the plugs.
Yes it must be gell-filled if you want to mount it horizontally :thumbright:
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

OK, who wants a giggle....

So I start pulling the plugs, a little sooty, not very surprising, three of them wet with fuel, again not that surprising, I get round to the second to last one, number 6 and it's loose in the block :roll: All cleaned and back in I fire her up and she's idling almost normally.... :lol:

I wouldn't mind, but No. 6 is one of the easier ones to get to with my headers. Ah well.

I checked the leads while I was at it, a couple of them had higher resistance than I'd expect for the length and one had the insulation burnt almost through, so a new set will be my next purchase.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Thanks, I did have a little giggle :lol:

Good that it was an easy fix, if a liittle embarrassing :oops: :D
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

Just a bit :oops: :oops: In my defence, I didn't fit the plugs, and though they would normally be one of the first things to look at, I knew they had recently been replaced, so I didn't..... Lesson learn't.

On the plus side she's running noticeably better after the carb refresh, everything just seems a little sharper. Good to be back on the road :)
morgan

Post by morgan »

Nice when its something simple. I've chased my tail over less - enjoy it !
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Adam

Post by Adam »

Pleased you found the main culprit Dom. Not to pee on your cornflakes, but if there are 3 other wet plugs, you may still have an electrical problem. Hopefully plug wires.
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

Yeah, I'll re-check them once I've replaced the wires and run her round for a bit :thumbright: