CHOOSINGS HEADERS

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

mr m

CHOOSINGS HEADERS

Post by mr m »

wasn't sure where to put this question so apologies if its in the wrong place

Right, 2 dilemma's
1. I currently have a pair of new Dougs ceramic coated longtube headers 1 7/8" primarys that I intend to put on the new 502cuin when it gets here.
Engine will be dyno'd when finished using whatever they dyno it with.
Do I, purchase new headers over there and have it dyno'd with whatever I purchase job done, or fit what I got when it gets here and rolling road it when engine fitted using current ones, it will be rolling roaded anyway.
2. If I purchase another set, "Shorty or Long tube" and biggest debate "what make??" shorty will make better clearance generally, although shorty might restrict breathing , car is low low.
I purchased the dougs as at the time (5 years probably) they seemed to be the way to go for best fitment issues on a breathed 440 and supposed to be good quality.
any advice appreciated :-k
IF ITS ON WHEELS, LOWER IT!!
Blue

Re: CHOOSINGS HEADERS

Post by Blue »

Personally TTI are the only headers I use now, long tube for best performance and no grand clearance issues. Everything I've read about ceramic coatings say don't break in the cam with them or you'll ruin the coating, I assume that's due to getting them very hot before a few heat cycles have settled the coating. Dyno time would no doubt be the same. Normally they use their own "dyno" headers anyway, there are fittings welded into the primaries for probes to give you some of the information you get on the dyno sheet.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

What Blue says :thumbright:
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Is it true TTI do not make headers of a 64 with 440 ?i can only find Dougs headers to fit ...asking for a friend
Jesus saves but satan does that thing with his tongue you like
Blue

Post by Blue »

tti still list them in 2" primary and bigger Pete, nothing in the smaller sizes though.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Blue wrote: Fri Aug 07, 20 8:42 pm tti still list them in 2" primary and bigger Pete, nothing in the smaller sizes though.
I googled the backside out of the subject after our conversation the other weekend Blue ,I am going to dig out the headers that came with the car and see what make they are …..they are a bit crusty but might be salvageable ...Is it a goo idea to get them blasted ?or will that damage them …...
Jesus saves but satan does that thing with his tongue you like
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

pete walton wrote: Fri Aug 07, 20 8:57 pm
Blue wrote: Fri Aug 07, 20 8:42 pm tti still list them in 2" primary and bigger Pete, nothing in the smaller sizes though.
I googled the backside out of the subject after our conversation the other weekend Blue ,I am going to dig out the headers that came with the car and see what make they are …..they are a bit crusty but might be salvageable ...Is it a goo idea to get them blasted ?or will that damage them …...
If they are rusted through, not a good idea to media blast, good steel will be fine. If you ha e access & they fit in the cabinet, a vapour blaster is kinder & leaves a nice closed pore finish.

A few hours with a wire wheel & emery dies a good job :thumbright:
Last edited by mopar_mark on Tue Aug 11, 20 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

DaveB wrote: Tue Jul 21, 20 6:59 pm What Blue says :thumbright:
yep :thumbright: