Hi! From new 69 charger owner & help request.

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Chargingatchya

Hi! From new 69 charger owner & help request.

Post by Chargingatchya »

Hi guys!

My names Seyhan & I am from Dartford. I have recently purchased a 69 Dodge Charger for a full restoration, however it has no paperwork whatsoever. I have spoke to the DVLA and they seem optimistic and helpful that il be able to get it registered.

They have however asked me for a letter from a club confirming the car, make model & year.

I’m happy to join a club and was planning on doing so regardless. Can anyone here help with regards to this?

I’d like to have a logbook in hand before I start pumping money & elbow grease in to this wonderful car.

So happy to have found this forum, so much information and what a great place to browse!

Any help would be hugely appreciated!
Thanks!
Pete

Re: Hi! From new 69 charger owner & help request.

Post by Pete »

Hi there.

The MMA Vehicle Registrar, Matt Hollingsworth (MattH on the Forum) can possibly assist you - depending on what documentation you have and what data tags are on the car.

This is a chargeable service in the light of changes made to the Club structures, and the fact that it is now free membership. However, a nice V5C is well worth the cost - if indeed it is a viable case.

All the best.

Pete
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Chargingatchya

Post by Chargingatchya »

Thank you.

I really hope there’s some way to get a V5 for it as if I can’t, wow that’s an issue. I read in to it and spoke to the DVLA before my purchase of the car and they informed me of forms and a club letter- they did not at any point say it wouldn’t be possible.

The vin & tags are all in place. The car has been in Uk for over 15 years. Fingers crossed.

Of course I’m happy to pay the fee. Il contact Matt. Thank you so much for the help.
Pete

Post by Pete »

You are welcome.

Do you have any Import data = CE 386 Form, or more recently a NOVA certificate?

Also a US Title, or European Registration document.

DVLA are worried about 2 things in the main :

Is Duty payable / has been paid, and is the car what it espouses to be?

You need evidence to support both aspects to ensure a smooth path through registration.

Lots of "Ringers" have been imported to the point that DVLA sends agents to inspect the car on 50% of new Registrations / Imports of previously registered vehicles....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Steve

Post by Steve »

Welcome and good luck with the restoration etc,

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
MattH

Post by MattH »

I've done my bit, lets hope DVLA can be nice this time!
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

MattH wrote: Sat Jul 25, 20 4:35 pm I've done my bit, lets hope DVLA can be nice this time!
:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
68 beeper

Post by 68 beeper »

Is it the Orange one from Portsmouth by any chance???? :-k
MattH

Post by MattH »

No its the St Albans car.
morgan

Post by morgan »

MattH wrote: Sun Jul 26, 20 11:02 pm No its the St Albans car.

Ahhh ! Wondered if that would show up. Looking forward to restoration thread.
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
68 beeper

Post by 68 beeper »

MattH wrote: Sun Jul 26, 20 11:02 pm No its the St Albans car.
Yes I guy in Portsmouth brought it from the guy in st alban's :thumbright:
Dino

Post by Dino »

Hi Seyhan and welcome to the club :thumbright:

How did you get on with application?

My Charger has been in the country a similar amount of time and I need to go through the same process before it's too late. I've been putting it off as I thought you needed to have an MOT. I do have all the import papers which might make it a bit simpler.

Good luck with the resto, this is by far the best place to come for advice. Some very knowledgeable & friendly peeps on here that will help you out.
MattH

Post by MattH »

Dino wrote: Fri Sep 11, 20 8:17 pm Hi Seyhan and welcome to the club :thumbright:

How did you get on with application?

My Charger has been in the country a similar amount of time and I need to go through the same process before it's too late. I've been putting it off as I thought you needed to have an MOT. I do have all the import papers which might make it a bit simpler.

Good luck with the resto, this is by far the best place to come for advice. Some very knowledgeable & friendly peeps on here that will help you out.
Dino, you don't need an MOT, but as has been said before, if the car is complete and MOTable then it helps as a set of official eyes have already looked at it.

getting the car registered will take time due to Covid so worth getting the ball rolling with your V55/5 (downloadable from Gov UK) and send papers off, but copy EVERYTHING as you won't get any papers back. Make sure you have the NOVA as well before you start.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Interesting thread. I've never actually needed a NOVA certificate to register the two project cars I've had ( 66 Fury already in the country when I bought it but unregistered and a 72 New Yorker that I brought in from Texas). I had them but DVLA told me that they didnt need it as the cars wouldn't have cleared customs without the tax being paid so, by virtue of the fact you have the car outside the port means its had all the tax paid on it.

Funny how we have different experiences eh :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
MattH

Post by MattH »

DVLA seem to change rules for no reason and then not tell you what the rules are. When I asked for the criteria they said they couldn't let me have them.

A battle I had recently raised a point that a new rule was you could not use the VIN to date the vehicle.

I ended up with several heated telephone calls (as I got a name and number!) to explain that the whole idea of a VIN is its identity and that is what ties the bits of metal together, and if that is the DVLA rule then the entire dating process is no longer possible to perform.

The irony was the letter from DVLA said the VIN could not be used to date a vehicle and to "consult the relevant owners club for guidance".

When I explained that I was the representative from the owners club, it sort of hit a catch 22 situation. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Thankfully common sense prevailed and 4 letters later to prove the age of a fully documented car with EVERY tag, number and build sheet we did get that car registered, but I was at the point of giving up and telling people not to import cars anymore.

I suspect there are "managers" in DVLA making decisions who who have no actual concept of what they are doing are how vehicles are made or identified. They probably drive a Prius or Honda Jazz.