RIP Tony O

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Adam

Re: RIP Tony O

Post by Adam »

Still struggling to come to terms with this. Such a shock - I spoke to him only a couple of months ago, and he was chipper.

Tony has been a source of inspiration to me for almost 40 years, not only as THE Mopar guru in the UK, but as an example of kindness, generosity, integrity and confidence. He always had time for everyone that showed an interest in Mopars, from beginners to upstarts like me, who he was happy to correct with good humour.

It's no exaggeration to say that the Mopar scene would not have flourished in the UK without his passion and drive to bring "Chrysler's heritage to the masses". It feels like the end of an era, but I do hope that the Euro Nats will continue.

Pete wrote a more eloquent tribute than I ever could, so I'll just say that I was proud to be his friend, and my thoughts are with Sharon, Joe, Kirsty and all of his family and friends.

RIP Tony
R.RUNNER

Post by R.RUNNER »

At least there are some "YOUNGSTERS" ,coming through the "MOPAR" ranks, who will continue his dream. We had our differences of opinion ( on many MOPAR related items) over the years, but shows won`t be the same without "TONY O".

:P :P :P
I`M PROUD TO BE AN ENGLISHMAN.......WITH A `68 GTX
68Roadrunner

Post by 68Roadrunner »

Only just heard this terrible news.
What a top man he was in so many ways , approachable ,friendly knowledgeable, and kind, always enjoyed chatting with him and even met a couple of times in the states. A truly great loss to our hobby but his legacy will live on. Let’s all hope for a big tribute at the next mopar nats.
My thoughts are with his family.
Richard.
Guy

Post by Guy »

So sad to hear this news, my heart felt condolences go to Sharon and family. Just lost for words R.I.P my good friend
Steve

Post by Steve »

Shocking news and my condolences to all of Tony's family and friends.

I have only met Tony once, a few years ago at the Nats and it was very obvious that he was a gentleman and extremely knowledgeable.

I will let those who knew Tony well tell us more about him, rest in peace and my next drive out in my car will be dedicated to him. Without his efforts in the past, and his inspiration to all of the great people in this club, I would not be enjoying my car today.

Cheers Steve
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

I’ve only just heard the sad news of Tony’s death, I was aware he had health issues, but he was no age by today’s standards. He used to give me some grief when I was chairman, but it was only because he cared about Mopars, the MMA and of course the Nats and I accepted that.

Tony O will be sorely missed and my thoughts go out to Sharon and the rest of his family.
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
R.RUNNER

Post by R.RUNNER »

👍👍👍He’ll be sorely missed old boy🥴🥴🥴
I`M PROUD TO BE AN ENGLISHMAN.......WITH A `68 GTX
TyreFryer

Post by TyreFryer »

Just to let you all know, we’ve added a tribute to Tony on the MMA website homepage, thanks to Rob (Lane) for the photos.

https://www.moparuk.com/

Cheers, Martin.
Martin Walker
Derek

Post by Derek »

Thanks Martin.
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
Richard

Post by Richard »

So sad to read this, I can't add much to what has been said already but I'll really miss this lovely friendly knowledgeable man.

Thinking of him and his hard working family that gave so much to the hobby RIP Tony
MattH

Post by MattH »

For those that may not have seen it, here is a link to Tony's obituary page and funeral details.
There is a request for no flowers but donations to the British Heart Foundation.

https://www.funeralguide.co.uk/obituaries/82950

A donation will be made on behalf of the club.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

TyreFryer wrote: Thu Nov 26, 20 11:52 am Just to let you all know, we’ve added a tribute to Tony on the MMA website homepage, thanks to Rob (Lane) for the photos.

https://www.moparuk.com/

Cheers, Martin.
Ben from Classic American got in touch with Stu and I to ask if we had any photos of Tony so I sent him the pics Martin put on our home page, so they may also appear in their article next month... :shock:
english68

Post by english68 »

My apologies. Having been away from the MMA for a while, I only heard the sad news about Tony's passing this morning. The tributes here are so touching (especially from younger members who look up to him...) I really can't add very much.

I bought my Charger (the "68" in my User Name) from Tony many years ago. He was so patient, calm and kind during the on/off period where I could, then couldn't, then could get the funds together. I learnt a lot about these cars from Tony in that time and built that same respect for him as a person as well as his knowledge and passion for the cars that we have been reading here. (The car was a dream and I loved every minute of owning it)

Since then, Tony helped enormously with gaps in my knowledge (in particular with the 'Cuda and a RHD Barracuda I wanted to restore) and it was always such a pleasure to see him at events - he always had a minute to be encouraging even when he was clearly very busy.

Rest in Peace, Tony and thank you.