Fuel injection 4 barrel

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Johnny Dart

Fuel injection 4 barrel

Post by Johnny Dart »

Has anyone swapped over from a 4 barrel carb, to a 4 barrel fuel injection , like FI tech ?
I'm interested in your experience.
Blue

Re: Fuel injection 4 barrel

Post by Blue »

No personal experience but the Holley sniper is the best of that style according to most of the forums. A friend bought one and is very happy with it, never fitted one before and it all worked out fine. The Fi tech tends to be shunned by those that have fitted a few of these, poor after sales service being the usual complaint.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
mr m

Post by mr m »

holley sniper and if pos go with dizzy as well makes a good package
IF ITS ON WHEELS, LOWER IT!!
Johnny Dart

Post by Johnny Dart »

I think I may look into that, as it would look like they are self tuning via a wide band 02 sensor.
I just wondered if they could cope with good heads and a cam. I guess they could, but just wanted some real world feedback.
Thanks for your input.
JinxJay

Post by JinxJay »

i have fitech on my LS engine, although its a stock LS style system, the hand held unit and software is the same as the four barrel system,
ive found it very easy to use and tune after a little research,
most of the problems ive heard of are from bad instillation, or not following the instructions,
the other problem with all the systems is inlet manifold, i cant remember which way round it is,
but, it wont run correctly with with a single verses a duel plane manifold, or visa a versa,
do your research,
i'm considering converting my 440 to fuel injection as well,

and i want to put this on my LS>>>>
Attachments
PCE148.1050.jpg
PCE148.1050.jpg (82.08 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
morgan

Post by morgan »

Did we get anywhere with this ? Anyone taken the plunge ?

(Yes, this is still the 'my engine STINKS' investigations :) )
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Blue

Post by Blue »

Holley Sniper still seems to be the system of choice for regular street cars, reliable and with good back up. About the only positive feedback you get stateside for the Fi tech is "I fitted mine 6 months ago and it ain't gone wrong yet" alongside a barrage of it's unreliable and you'll be on your own trying to sort it out...
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
mr m

Post by mr m »

having my new ford 347 stroker bench dyno'd next week and fitted the sniper kit to it, be interesting to see what occurs will post results
Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 »

Blue wrote: Wed Mar 31, 21 8:45 am Holley Sniper still seems to be the system of choice for regular street cars, reliable and with good back up. About the only positive feedback you get stateside for the Fi tech is "I fitted mine 6 months ago and it ain't gone wrong yet" alongside a barrage of it's unreliable and you'll be on your own trying to sort it out...
This is a very problematic transition, because not every car can be upgraded this way. Before making such modifications, you need to study the design of the car in detail, and then climb under the hood and redo something.
morgan

Post by morgan »

Challenger007 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 21 9:24 am This is a very problematic transition, because not every car can be upgraded this way. Before making such modifications, you need to study the design of the car in detail, and then climb under the hood and redo something.
Not sure I understand ? I thought the whole point was its a non-problematic transition ? Slap it on, let it learn, it monitors the exhaust (and timing if you let it) and fuels accordingly. Standard kit can fuel up to 650hp - which suggests its ok for high performance applications too ? You can play around with the mappings if you are so inclined; its all software controlled. What did you mean by 'very problematic' ?

morgan

Post by morgan »

Mr m, how is the sniper ?

mr m

Post by mr m »

hi matey, very impressed plug and play maps itself once you enter the initial data. You can manally configure if you want to put map into it. the 347 motor ended up with 401bhp 427ft/lbs torque and pulls all the way up and is proper responsive when you hit the throttle no hesitation whatso ever, would use again and am having it put on the charger 502 engine
MattH

Post by MattH »

mr m wrote: Thu May 06, 21 9:48 pm hi matey, very impressed plug and play maps itself once you enter the initial data. You can manally configure if you want to put map into it. the 347 motor ended up with 401bhp 427ft/lbs torque and pulls all the way up and is proper responsive when you hit the throttle no hesitation whatso ever, would use again and am having it put on the charger 502 engine
No hesitation whatsoever sounds a good enough reason on its own. I'm tempted by this too.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

have read that the key is the initial map
too far out and it learns to mask the fact the the initial map was too far out.
but you end up stuck way out of bounds for it getting it spot on right like Mr M has and need to start again from a position closer to ideal.

i.e the tech can get something "in the ball park" to be pretty spot on by self learning, but nothing can cater for a map that is just plain wrong from the get go. and they will always struggle if you choose the wrong capacity injectors.

i think a company with a good support desk is key

FItech always appealed because their stuff seemed like very good value but have met 2 people now who have had a bit of a fight with it

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
morgan

Post by morgan »

I'm waiting for a work trip to the States then I am going to take the plunge I think. Holley Sniper full kit.
Cant decide whether to get the full trick dizzy too so it can programme it all how it wants and sell my MSD setup. Be a while yet anyway...