running rich

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

gmopar59

running rich

Post by gmopar59 »

Took her out yesterday for the 1st time in months except for running it through 1st and reverse at the garage. Noticed back at the garage that it there was carbon inside the tail pipes.Pulled the plugs, all look to be running clean except for some carbon on the back of the curved bit of 2 plugs (sure it has a proper name). Cleaned out the air filter and it's drying. Haven't started her today as it's my birthday and had to get back for lunch. Anything else i should take a look at? Thanks for your help. 340 small block.
gmopar59

Re: running rich

Post by gmopar59 »

BTW, what are the plug gaps on a 340?
Steve

Post by Steve »

I'm no expert at all and I'm sure the guys with tons of knowledge will be along soon but my first thoughts are to ask if the car was running ok and clean when you parked her up and were using her more? I doubt if anything has changed since you parked her up. I know the lockdown rules are in place at the moment. As soon as they are lifted, I would take her for a good run and see how things look after that. Just starting a car up and running it on idle on the driveway etc wont give you a good indication of what's going on.

If anything needs to be adjusted I would imagine it would be either timing, a stuck auto choke (if you have one) .or your idle mixture maybe. If you have an Edelbrock carb, easy check is to see if the metering rods are stuck. That can make the car run rich as I did with mine a few years ago.

Just a few very basic thoughts

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Steve

Post by Steve »

Forgot to say, I believe .035" plug gap is a pretty safe starting point on most Mopars that are stock or mildly tuned. Quick check online will tell you for sure
Steve

Post by Steve »

And sorry, re read, you did go for a run....doh. I would do a check on your timing, idle mix etc just as a starting point to rule things out if nothing else
Charger

Post by Charger »

did you put any fresh fuel in??

if not could be that, old fuel gone off

mine always runs crap first time out after winter until i get some fresh fuel in

:thumbright:
Si
1970 Charger 500
383 | 4bbl | 727 column | PAS | PAB | buckets/buddy - check out my photos HERE

If you don't want another same old brand-new car ... you could be DODGE MATERIAL

1970 Dodge Charger Registry - https://www.1970chargerregistry.com/
gmopar59

Post by gmopar59 »

Steve wrote: Sun Jan 31, 21 4:21 pm And sorry, re read, you did go for a run....doh. I would do a check on your timing, idle mix etc just as a starting point to rule things out if nothing else
Thanks Steve, will have a go on Wednesday, are you the guy relocating to Scotland? My old school mate moved to Inverness in the 90s. Loves it. Gerry
gmopar59

Post by gmopar59 »

Charger wrote: Mon Feb 01, 21 4:00 pm did you put any fresh fuel in??

if not could be that, old fuel gone off

mine always runs crap first time out after winter until i get some fresh fuel in

:thumbright:
Good point Charger. I put fresh fuel in just before she went back in the garage, about 1/4 mile.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yes Gerry, I've moved to the Scottish Riviera as they call it. :thumbright:
gmopar59

Post by gmopar59 »

Problem solved, put new air filter in and running fine now, so don't think it was old fuel but may have been a factor.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Great news !

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
gmopar59

Post by gmopar59 »

Thanks Steve, where are you in bonnie Scotland?