faulty indicator

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

gmopar59

faulty indicator

Post by gmopar59 »

Hi guys, hope you can help, mopar electrics having a mind of their own. When ignition on all indicators work except the passenger side front. It stays solid orange. On dipped exactly the same. On main beam both smaller running lights go out (these are the indicators) and same on full beam. Worked fine before. bulb looks fine, i have others but can't find them. Did try a white double filament but no change. I'll take a video tomorrow but may be too bid to upload. Dave 999, i know you will go into too much detail that my brain can't comput. Keep it short sir :thumbright: !
IMG_0116.JPG
IMG_0116.JPG (130.95 KiB) Viewed 501 times
ScottyDave

Re: faulty indicator

Post by ScottyDave »

Check if the lamp holders are earthed, a lot of electrical gremlins are down to poor earths.
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

Yes check the earth, specially if it was working okay before.
MattH

Post by MattH »

Yes earths.
Also if flasher unit is original bi metallic they can get tired.
I replaced mine with an electronic flasher unit from MOSS. About £20 but brillant and will run LED's as well, as it does not rely on anything heating up for it to work.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

i agree with all before

1) earthing (lamp holder to lamp and lamp to bodywork)
2) earthing... both front an rear clusters have 1 wire that runs to one of the bolts that holds down a light the other end to a screw in the body or grill. both ends need to make contact
3) the connectors tend to turn green with age. single spades easy. take off clean up crimp a bit with pliers and put back on. 2 or 3 spade plastic connectors are harder to clean and check. You need a thin strip of hacksaw blade about 1mm wide or a tool off ebay. slip it down the back of each female spade connector to press in the lock tab and pull em out of the plastic by the wire end. do 1 at a time, treat as mentioned above ping out the lock tab again and refit back where it came from.
4) check the dash cluster is bolted down and the indicator flashers are still pressed into their holders

all this involves is disconnect or undo. and do it back up again

still no joy. give the fuses a jiggle

the fact that your indicators work shows the flasher unit is ok. they come in 2 pin and 3 pin if its a 2 pin then the fact that 1 side works indicates it will work for all, and the problem is at the lamp or its wires.

A 3 pin one is used on a car with hazzard lights

flasher unit is round and is usually pressed into a section behind the front of the metal dash, on a strut between you and the glove box, near the ash tray. it works best when mounted in its holder. keeps it cool and earths it

i used fewer words honest i did :)

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Blue

Post by Blue »

Almost certainly an earthing issue. Have a look at how the front indicators earth. On a Barracuda it's via a crimped on bulb holder fitting which relies on a good connection to the body of the unit. You can get corrosion between the two and you'll have no earth even though everything appears connected. A bit of a clean up and some solder run into the gap fixed it for me.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
gmopar59

Post by gmopar59 »

Thanks Guys, will get a look this week. Work has been busy. Know where the flaser unit is. Think a replaced it a good few years ago. Car has hazzards. Will give everyyhing a clean up and see. :thumbright:
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

My driving lights use an alternative that is just as prone to issues, a wire from the pot metal bulb holder to the back of the bucket the lamp sits in
The bulb holder end is a punched metal contact fitted over a lump on the bulb holder. the lump has been hit with a punch to keep the contact on...
spade connector female on a wire slides on. BUT removal of the lamp tends to snap the contact off the bulb holder and leaves it attached to the female spade connector

kinda rubbish 50 years later... potentially ok for the first few years

expect similar "cheap" and "it only needs to last 5 years" type, design and assembly when you get in and have a look.

The "extra care in engineering" that Chrysler applied here was " I care about how much i can save"
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying