NEC 2021 - MMA Presence? Member's views

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

ScottyDave

Re: NEC 2021 - MMA Presence? Member's views

Post by ScottyDave »

Pete wrote: Fri Mar 26, 21 6:20 pm
Of all the MMA cars that have ever been displayed at the NEC (including my Superbird), Cheng Lim's "General Lim" provoked the most interest and interaction with the public.

I know the car very well and the term "Shed" could be used, but that is how it was built.

It is not shiny or numbers matching, but the crowds loved it.
Yes I also think that is a great looking car :thumbright:
73 Charger 318
MMA-130
MattH

Post by MattH »

My car is not show worthy. It was on display at the NEC in 2014 with an ill fitting sunroof and unfinished interior, but was reasonably fresh externally.

This is not a Concours D'Elegance, the cars on display are representative of what the club is, and the cars that create the most interest are not always the shiny 100 point perfect restorations. Real cars with a story that get used are just as important.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Pete

Post by Pete »

To let everyone know, we as a Club have until the 7th April to get our names in the pot for the NEC.

We need to appoint a liaison officer as part of this process, so we need to consider this aspect as well as any offers of cars.

All the best.

Pete.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Steve

Post by Steve »

Evening everyone,

Thanks for all the positive replies re this.

I feel a little guilty (and sad obviously) that I have to let go of the reigns on this great show. I have recently relocated to rural Scotland and it really isn't feasible for me to continue being the coordinator for this event.

I have done it for a few years now and had the honour of having my car on the stand. It really is a pleasure and privilege to show your car there.

I echo what has been said in that a huge portion of the comments received from visitors are around the fact that our cars reflect not only a variety of styles but also that not all of the cars shown are immaculate, better than new restorations. We have 'driver' cars, rolling restorations, race cars (with associated battle scars) as well as top end restored cars and the unusual. An example is Wills Charger...it was a truly unbelievable draw for the stand. It's about the effort and pride of ownership rather than pristine, flawless cars that can become a little boring after a while. Blue, your car would be the talking point of the stand as it displays so many examples of engineering talent, classic race car building techniques and pure skill. Just what draws the punters in.

We have had a lot of success putting standard cars next to race cars on display and the 'Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday' theme is popular and easy to fulfill.

The on site work is very enjoyable if you like meeting nice people and enjoy the camaraderie. I wont lie, its tiring but is great fun. The paperwork is straight forward and I am happy to assist remotely with a 'handover' to anyone willing to take it onboard for the club.

We also have a night when we all go to the pub (remember those?) and have a few beers with our dinner (or too much Merlot, no names mentioned). A great way to enjoy the company of our fantastic members.

Thanks everyone and I really hope someone steps up and just has a go at it....you wont regret it!

Cheers Steve
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Robert Nauer

Post by Robert Nauer »

I had the honour of displaying my car at the 2019 show and I too really enjoyed the camaraderie of our fellow club members and chatting with public about our cars. Steve did a tremendous job of being the project lead and organizing our stand for the show and it is a loss that he's no longer able to continue in this role. Though saying that; Steve, you shouldn't feel guilty as you carried the water for the club organizing our NEC stand for several years, so you've done more than your fair share. I agree with the sentiments that our presence at this show provides great exposure for MMA and offers the visitors some interesting and exciting cars to view. Though work commitments prevents me from volunteering for the liaison role, I would gladly assist a day or two on MMA stand that weekend. I do truly hope by that time we are able to safely enjoy indoor shows again and meet and socialize with our fellow petrol heads.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Cheers Robert....it was an absolute pleasure meeting you both and spending time with your great car at the last show. Thanks as always for your support

Cheers Steve
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream