Coil advice

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Blue

Re: Coil advice

Post by Blue »

Most coils are oil filled so mounting them upright and in a cool position is never a bad idea. I have Petronix flame thrower coils on my cars, they need no ballast resistor and are designed to work at full voltage.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

I've just been looking at your pictures again, do you have a points distributor or solid state ? It's just I bought the 8202 coil for my solid state dizzy and still have the box on my desk, it states to use PN 8200 or 8203 with points.

My misfire was at idle, as the old coil was failing, but when I was reading up on possible issues with the solid state dizzy, I remember seeing high revs misfire could be due to an overlarge reluctor to magnetic sensor gap. Should be .006" to .008" I think. Too big and it can miss at higher revs.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Yes, I use electronic factory distributors. The reluctor gap is important and because it’s magnetic you need a brass or other non ferrous 8 thou feeler gauge to set it. On the Barracuda I use an FBO module which is basically an improved version of the factory ECU.
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Thanks for the replies.

No points Dom it’s an electronic ignition. I think the position on top of the engine in the V is a factor so I’ve moved it to front underneath the horn and will try it.

Any ideas on the heat range of the plugs Blue? Could the miss be detonation? I’m running BP5S ngk.
Blue

Post by Blue »

You need to read the plugs earth strap, that will identify the heat range the engine wants. You can get a misfire by using too hot a plug, I've had that in the past. Detonation itself sounds like a metallic rattle rather than a misfire
Attachments
unnamed.gif
unnamed.gif (35.88 KiB) Viewed 542 times
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Thanks Blue I’ll report back when I’ve taken a look at them👍
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

i had problems for a while and eventually got some rolling road work done

he swapped me from NGK 5s to NGK 7s at an extortionate cost and things got markedly better

my issues was evident at 70mph an occasional dunt dunt dunt on the offbeat as it were, when slogging it up a minor incline in top.

i have a relatively small engine i.e 4.3 litters 265CU but even so the motor usually irons out hills i.e you don't notice them at all, but it was evidently not doing this as well as it used to, which is what caused me to start listening, and in the general hubub. there it was. once noticed you can't not hear it and work to fix was undertaken poste haste

plugs getting too hot when under load and i was hung up on 34* at 3000 and i didn't need it. i had not enough initial and too much total advance which wasn't helping either.

dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

A dunt is an excellent description of the sound Dave.

I’ll have time to look again at the weekend,I’ve relocated the coil and will pull the plugs and go from there,hopefully this will all add up to recoup my missing tenths. 👍
Steve

Post by Steve »

Great thread and info. I dont have the knowledge that Dave, Blue etc have but I did convert my ignition from Mopar Electronic (orange box) to GM HEI allowing me to bypass the ballast resistor and using an MSD blaster 2 racing coil (can take constant 12v and not so sensitive to vertical/ horizontal positioning). Works well.

Cheers Steve
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream