UK Mopar Barn Finds Spotted on the move

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

RobTwin

Re: UK Mopar Barn Finds Spotted on the move

Post by RobTwin »

morgan wrote: Sat May 22, 21 9:59 am SO - now its out in the open - Who knew where it was ? Who had been in the chapel and seen them all ? I know some of you must have... :-$
Good questions Morgs. I must admit tho all this chapel and folklore business had passed me by :oops:
I've only heard mention of the hemi FF(F) Jensen in the last few years and of course the hemi cuda that Blue posted about a couple of years ago.

Shame it appears they're leaving the country, looks like we'll never get to see any of them :roll:
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Well I was aware there really was a chapel with old Mopars and particularly the GKN car (which of all the cars is the one I'd most love to have seen in the flesh....). I heard that probably 15 or more years ago from another MMA member. But that's all I knew. It's good that the cars are rescued while saveable, but really would be a shame if they leave the country :x I consider the GKN a small piece of British motoring history (complete with race Hemi :) ), and would have hoped that GKN themselves would have been interested in getting that one back....
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Blue

Post by Blue »

I've heard a rumour that an American buyer has bought everything but I have no evidence at all that its true. Stories and skullduggery abound around stuff like this, apparently there were 30 cars in the chapel and several are Hemis. Should any solid proof of any of it come my way, I'll post it here.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Faux-7-0

Post by Faux-7-0 »

Steve wrote: Sat May 22, 21 9:45 am I'm with you Derek, I would love to restore that building. I'm drooling over the Challenger. Something about cars covered in dust that have been sitting there for years while the world ticks on
With the dust on, a buyer will see the potential. Bananarama! and the buyer just sees the faults.
Alan; whose 72 Challenger is inexorably taking over the house.
Faux-7-0

Post by Faux-7-0 »

Ok filter: clean it rather than wash.....
Alan; whose 72 Challenger is inexorably taking over the house.
morgan

Post by morgan »

Blue wrote: Mon May 24, 21 9:20 am I've heard a rumour that an American buyer has bought everything but I have no evidence at all that its true. Stories and skullduggery abound around stuff like this, apparently there were 30 cars in the chapel and several are Hemis. Should any solid proof of any of it come my way, I'll post it here.
You were my guess at having known where and seen inside... :D
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Blue

Post by Blue »

Didn’t know anymore than anyone else until a couple of years ago Morgan. I knew the chapel was in north Lincolnshire but I’d never seen inside and I still only know what a few of the cars were. I only know one person now that knew Colin, I’ll see if he knows where the cars have gone.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

well i wonder if there a a few lockups around north Lincolnshire that will only reveal their contents when the builder/developer turns up with a bulldozer or council turn up looking for rent...

i always take a peek through that slightly open shed door or into that railway arch

only thing i ever get is.... Oy what you doing.... :) and its usually a 2CV not a hemi.

but if you do find something don't tell the council or DVLA that you think its abandoned... its not, you are looking after it ..... just tax it and become registered keeper....bide your time....

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
MattH

Post by MattH »

Dave999 wrote: Mon May 24, 21 5:07 pm
but if you do find something don't tell the council or DVLA that you think its abandoned... its not, you are looking after it ..... just tax it and become registered keeper....bide your time....

Dave
Very sage advice but could end up in county court like the Hemi Cuda did, just saying!
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

yeah you probably could, if you moved it, used it, broke in... that would be considered stealing it in no uncertain terms i'd expect

but if you were just stopping its degradation vandalism or removal as abandoned, for the true owner..... :) who may not return... maybe the law would be kinder

as in the case of the one i lost....

VW Karmann Ghia

left in carpack at little Venice, Paddington, by member of US military who was posted to Iraq
he never came back....no indication his posting was fatal but none to indicate otherwise.
his flat was eventually cleared.
My mate Simon worked for the parks n gardens, knew i had a VW fetish at the time, kept an eye on it for 18 months until one night the kids stamped the roof in and smashed the screen.
we covered it with poly and tarps, we found the tax disk on the floor had been un-taxed for 6 months, I called DVLA and council.

DVLA very helpful. if its not taxed sir you can tax it and then provided you are willing to pay any fines tickets etc you can become registered keeper
But the car will not belong to you. you risk financial loss and action from any finance company from the council or police or from the owner who may assume you damaged it.
if they don't claim it in 5 years you can apply to be owner
it would be illegal to do anything to it before you have paperwork in hand.

but i'd called the council.... who came the next day and slapped a big sticker on it. towed it to a breakers yard on a bridge over the railway in Hendon where it was stripped and the body crushed.
it shared a yard for about 3 months with everything that had lost its owner, left on street, and clearance from council property...quite a range of vintage tin

it just seemed like such a waste abandoned/untraceable owner and its treated as insurance write off Cat A or B....madness.

however this was 15 -20 years ago. things change you may end up in prison :)

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Adam

Post by Adam »

Going off topic a bit here, but Dave's story reminded me of a Buick Grand National which was abandoned next to a friend's commercial property. It was there for some while. Glass and T-tops got smashed, interior rotted from the rain.

Eventually it got a Council tow away sticker, so my friend dragged it into his yard under cover. He tried to trace the owner, but the number plate came back as a Morris Marina! He got it going, but didn't try to register it. I believe he sold the engine/trans and scrapped the rest in the end.
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Dave999 wrote: Thu May 27, 21 11:24 am towed it to a breakers yard on a bridge over the railway in Hendon where it was stripped and the body crushed.
it shared a yard for about 3 months with everything that had lost its owner, left on street, and clearance from council property...quite a range of vintage tin
I spent quite a bit of time in that yard!!! I remember there was a white 67 Camaro stacked on the roof of another car, I managed to get a Camaro badge off it which I still have somewhere :D I was probably about 16 at the time.
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
Kev

Post by Kev »

Dave999 wrote: Mon May 24, 21 5:07 pm
only thing i ever get is.... Oy what you doing.... :) and its usually a 2CV not a hemi.

Dave
Hey Dave, the 2CV engine IS a hemi, but you knew that....

Good one!
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Blue

Post by Blue »

Ok, I now know where at least some of the cars are now and I’m hoping to be able to see them soon.
SAV@RPM

Post by SAV@RPM »

Hi Blue, be really interesting to see what turns up, keep us posted !