Opinions wanted on sixpack challenger

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Wolfman

Opinions wanted on sixpack challenger

Post by Wolfman »

I have been asked to post on behalf of a friend. He has a 1970 sixpack challenger (checked by TonyO shortly before he passed ) very solid car, not a numbers matching car thou, does come with rebuilt 440 727 and 8 3/4 locker rear end. Engine is in bits (out of car, with heads off) gearbox is fitted to car, rebulit but untested as is rear end. He is thinking of selling it but does not know wether to pay to get it put together and running or sell as is? What is your opinion. I was not sure, as a lot of mopar guys may rip it to pieces and go through it any way. Aparantly it was raced back in the day. :working:
SAV@RPM

Re: Opinions wanted on sixpack challenger

Post by SAV@RPM »

Obviously the car needs to be seen as there are a lot of factors to think about. I guess it would depend on what somebody would want to do with the car as at the moment it’s essentially a project. It’s possible to simply build the engine and re assemble the car as a usable car or restore it back to original. Being non matching numbers hurts it’s value as a restored car. Has it got it’s fender tag, correct dash vin or even a broadcast sheet ? How good is the bodywork and what was the factory colour, has it been colour changed, is the interior complete and the dash pad good. All these things matter as a project can soon become a money pit particularly if you have to pay someone else to do the work. It’s relatively easy to put a price on putting the engine back together, has it got it’s six pack carbs and air cleaner assembly ? but at the moment its a bit of an unknown quantity.
Pete

Post by Pete »

A personal opinion, but I honestly do not think it will be cost effective to pay a company to complete it in order to sell on.

IF he wants to keep it and use it after restoration, then that is a completely different story.

If he is unable to perform the work himself, his best bet is probably to advertise it, and sell it to an enthusiast for them to complete according to their style and budget.

I am sure that is not what he will want to hear....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
andyrob

Post by andyrob »

I agree with pete, very difficult to sell a car in bits, as there 2 questions that puts everyone off, whys it not back together ? and whats missing ?
but nether would I spend lots on car that isnt worth much, but any running driving six pack challenger is worth a few quid.
Doesnt have to be fully restored but does have to be complete/running even if not road worthy.
Id not sell a car like that in bits
life is not a spectator sport

www.andyrobinson.eu
andy robinson

68 572 coronet RT
72 440 chrysler new yorker
69 518 daytona
Pete

Post by Pete »

I think there is also a big difference between a "Six pack Challenger" and a "Challenger that has been fitted with a Six pack".

i.e. a "V" Code Challenger, and a 318 that has had an engine and induction transplant.

As per Martin's words, the VIN and Fender tag makes a big difference in this situation.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

I will get some more details as he lives in my road It is a complete Genuine V code car with carbs too, Engine was pulled as it was not usable as a street car. He has lots of enthusiasm but not practical expertise and the guys doing the work let him down I think. Don't get me wrong it only needs the engine sorted and it would potentially be a useable car, the interior is complete. It is black at the moment I think it was white originally I will check on fender tag and build sheet.
Pete

Post by Pete »

That info is a bit of a game-changer....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

MattH

Post by MattH »

Watching with interest. :read2:
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car