Trying to track down my Dad’s Duster.

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

James Vette

Re: Trying to track down my Dad’s Duster.

Post by James Vette »

Can I ask you guys how much it cost back then to run a classic V8? Thank you.
currently driving: 1971 stingray
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

James Vette wrote: Wed Jun 22, 22 11:18 pm Can I ask you guys how much it cost back then to run a classic V8? Thank you.
We paid £1700 in 1985 for our 69 Sport Satellite with a good 318 engine.
I remember there was a 69 Roadrunner for sale at the same time for £2200 but that was a bit more than we wanted to spend at that time, even for 2 of us!
Running costs weren't any more than, say, a hot UK Ford but Mopar parts have always been a bit more $$$ than Ford & Chevy.
I cant remember how much we spent when we changed up to a mild 440 in 1987 but when we had the bodywork done in 1990 - full repaint with all the rust removed and panels replaced where necessary - cost just over £5000 and took 7 or 8 months.
Blue

Post by Blue »

In the '80s the cars were pretty cheap, average American cars sold for hundreds, the more desirable stuff a couple of grand, a good Hemi car maybe 5 grand. Fuel though much cheaper than today was still enough to rule out using these cars on a daily basis for most of us so they had already become toys for many. Insurance wasn't too bad but parts cost in general was much more expensive than today, ordering parts from the States wasn't easy and most of us were getting ripped off by UK stockists. Having to wait weeks if not months for parts to come in from the States was commonplace. With not every family owning a car and most not owning more than one, actually using the cars was easier, less congestion and parking anywhere wouldn't be difficult.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
James Vette

Post by James Vette »

Thanks guys. I guess the hobby became more and more popular because of classic car shows and the internet making it more and more expensive. At least we can source parts much better now.
currently driving: 1971 stingray
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

gets more expensive as those who purchased a cheap cool car when young... do the "Family Life/Work all hours" thing and then return when life is less busy, and want to recreate what they had orginally...just this time they have the profits of more than just their first wage packet in their pocket

and it happens everywhere

a few of my interests are
my mopar
my lambrettas
my raleigh chopper

and in all cases the cost of entry has gone up dramatically as supply reduces and demand increases a mimimum of £400 for a kids bike, a lambretta tv200 went for £20K.... and you can spend £4000 on a totally bespoke 40BHP engine for that itallian shopping bike, that had 6BHP originally....this is so far from the orginal grass roots intertest that its become a rich middle aged mans game.

in all cases the functioning but worn thing you purchased from a shed or garage in 1989 is now worth 10-20 times what it was back then bacsue you are not the only one looking and buying anymore.

In all cases the avilability of parts has increased dramatically
and it has become much more worthwhile fixing up a basket case, you might make back what you spent

at some point, as people achive what they want the interest wanes, but the expense of entry is now so high, the interest at grass roots level and with younger people wanes, they just can't affrod it, and the prices will come down....

look at VW beetles , huge popularity with 17-25 year olds mid- 80s -mid 90s they all got married in the 90s and the VW van/camper took over.
the van/ camper thing goes from strength to strengh, 50 year olds like a bed not a tent and sleeping bag, but the bugs are getting cheaper....just not yet cheap enough to attract the attention of any new blood in the 17 -25 year age group, and the insurers are still suspicious.

interest won't die out but it will go in cycles...
look at Hot rodding....original rodders were 20-30 year old when they came back from WW2 and wanted excitement on the street or track, if you learned to drive a jeep or bike at high speed across bits of egyption desert, and survived!! an old 1930s ford with a hopped up engine in it does the same job when you get home

they are no longer with us... but rodding and asscoaited life style goes from stength to strength, even if it now involves massive tatoos and cotton reels in yer ear lobes

all is not lost

dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Post by Stu »

:arrrmeharties: :drwho:
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Blue

Post by Blue »

Yes it’s nice to keep the thread alive, but yea let’s keep it on track!
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Post by Stu »

I hadn’t clocked the shaved handles, that may be a helpful identifier, if it hasn’t been reset. :-k
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
1970 Duster

Post by 1970 Duster »

Would like to think it would still have them as would probably be a pain to refit handles. Matt replied to my DM today so here’s hoping he can provide some info when his workload reduces somewhat. Would really love to find it, would make my Dad so happy to even see it again!
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

1970 Duster wrote: Fri Jun 24, 22 7:22 pm Would like to think it would still have them as would probably be a pain to refit handles. Matt replied to my DM today so here’s hoping he can provide some info when his workload reduces somewhat. Would really love to find it, would make my Dad so happy to even see it again!
I know it's about your dad's car and not ours but this pic shows our car at a previous Brighton meet when it was still owned by Bob Watson - he's the one standing by the open door with the white t-shirt. You could show this to your dad, see if he remembers him from way back then! :D
Attachments
Sport Satellite Brighton.jpg
Sport Satellite Brighton.jpg (113.8 KiB) Viewed 621 times
1970 Duster

Post by 1970 Duster »

Thanks for sharing! We bumped into him the other day in a restaurant and my Dad got his number so I’ve sent this on to him to send to him! Thanks so much!
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

1970 Duster wrote: Mon Jun 27, 22 9:52 am Thanks for sharing! We bumped into him the other day in a restaurant and my Dad got his number so I’ve sent this on to him to send to him! Thanks so much!
:D :thumbright:
1970 Duster

Post by 1970 Duster »

Had a bit of a breakthrough last night! Absolutely buzzing, my Dad might actually get to see the car again! 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼
Steve

Post by Steve »

That's great news...hope all goes to plan and your dad gets to see the car. Hold on tight, your inheritance may be at risk! :D :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
1970 Duster

Post by 1970 Duster »

Thanks Steve! Hahaha very true!