Gen3 swap - just general chat

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Dave999

Re: Gen3 swap - just general chat

Post by Dave999 »

if you want to avoid cutting the floor that limits you to transmissions with a bellhousing for smallblock
727 904 A833 4 speed OR the aisin warner AX5 speed manual and the bellhousing out of a v6 mopar truck.... the former will handle it the latter won't its like a rubbish version of the w58 standard supra box, i.e not the R154.

the later 4 speed autos used on the truck magnum engines with the lockup converter are longer and i think 518 618 both involve removal of the chassis cross member up to the edge of the outer holes for the rear mount. john R has one and loves it BUT it was an engineering task to get it into his baracuda...he can weld.

or a modern tremec the new TKX involves the least tunnel work but still involves cutting up the car, it only fits E bodies...and a T5 isn't up to the task really, although it probably would fit with a bit of Judicious tail housing swaping, it would need at least a steel countershaft support added, not hard but more expense and it might go bang 300ftlb rateing . i.e lasts longer then the warranty on a ford mustang if subjected to 300Ftlb engine

depends how you want to drive it.

overdrive on the back of the 727?? GKN/gearvendors would work... Dave R liked his

orginal trans was ECU controlled and potenentially bigger again although more than 5 gears appeals...

the grass ain't necessarily greener

making a modern hemi work with an aftermarket ECU is probably the same hassle as making what you have work with an aftermarket ECU

both will involve £400-600 to a fella with a laptop...who may well dismiss any complaint with "well its a race engine, whdday expect"...they all do that...and there is not much you can do, once he says he is finished he wants paying.

having paid out approx 1K to rolling roads over the last 10 years, all of whom advertise years of experience with webers, my opinion of them is less than good.... they'll insist on new spark plugs out of their own stock what you could get on ebay for £30 a set costs you 70+ vat.

"tune it for good progression and street drving please"

and what do you get ? perfect idle perfect power run... pig to drive at 50MPH in road works with a massive lean spot at 2400 rpm.
which of course is well hidden as they rev the nuts off it to 6k on the rollers

With that cam and that compression "live with it", is the attitude.....

i've been to 3 rolling roads...... you want to only ever visit one...once.

i don't know what i'm doing but i've learnt a bit, and i'm now doing a slow but better job myself, flat spot is now smaller and at 60 and nobody drives at 60. :) 20,30, 50, 70, or no licence, are the speeds you need

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
morgan

Post by morgan »

Aw I love a full Dave reply. Its been too long...

Nah - dont want to cut it about.
I think the concensus is "Pull it. Cam and maybe rings while out. Sniper + ignition combo. Let it sort its life out".

I totally love the rolling road "its a race engine what do you expect" and the gaping hole in the curve at your cruising speed hahaha :lol:
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

you coming to the Nats? ... i think the last time i saw you was the swap meet 10 years ago....

time flies and suddnely i'm getting old bald and fat :)

dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Hi Morgan,

Saw this article in the latest Hemmings Muscle Machines and thought of you...

:-k
Attachments
70 Charger gen3_1.jpg
70 Charger gen3_1.jpg (102.81 KiB) Viewed 370 times
70 Charger gen3_2.jpg
70 Charger gen3_2.jpg (96.67 KiB) Viewed 370 times
70 Charger gen3_3.jpg
70 Charger gen3_3.jpg (130.76 KiB) Viewed 370 times
70 Charger gen3_4.jpg
70 Charger gen3_4.jpg (141.35 KiB) Viewed 370 times
70 Charger gen3_5.jpg
70 Charger gen3_5.jpg (126.78 KiB) Viewed 370 times
morgan

Post by morgan »

Ooh ! Thanks. Will digest…

morgan

Post by morgan »

Thats interesting. He used a 727 gearbox so didnt cut any tunnels about; needed a manual valve body.
The ECU etc seem to be aftermarket and available. All under bonnet (some of the breakers yard engines are mated to the donor car and come with all sorts of dashboard gubbins to make it work).
Engine mounts, oil pans etc all now readily available so no k-member cutting about.

I dunno. It is attractive for a longer term bet... it just feels a bit of a voyage into the unknown compared to 'rebuild and sniper' on something more traditional.

:-k