Gen3 swap - just general chat

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

morgan

Gen3 swap - just general chat

Post by morgan »

Just chewing some stuff over...

Anyone done one yet into a b-body ? I know it will upset the purists but I've actually got no real issue with the idea. I'm chewing over what to do with mine is all. I'm just sort of thinking once you start down the road of a refresh and making a few subtle mods to calm it down a bit you are probably knocking on the door of 'full change' anyway - particularly if you sell the existing complete.

I dunno. Just contemplating the next phase of life really...

So - Anyone done it ? Or stay pure and just refresh what you've got ? Lets hear some opinions :argue:
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Pete

Re: Gen3 swap - just general chat

Post by Pete »

Berry Smith did a Gen III in an Early "B" Body, but true to form sold it on quickly.

Not a fan of the Gen III transmissions.....

Why does yours need fettling? You wanted power.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Blue

Post by Blue »

Depends what you’re hoping to achieve I guess.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
morgan

Post by morgan »

I had noticed people are quieter on the transmissions. Not much info out there. The engine doesnt need to cut anything about, I am guessing the trans might - and I dont want that. So it would be a factor.

Power I have, I cant fault that. once you've wound it right up. Its almost like it came out of a race car. :)
I'd like to calm the smell and the low-end manners - and once you start changing some bits, doubtless others will need to match and a whole slippery slope starts.

Im just thinking. Thats all... nothing more sinister yet - just getting ready for the winter jobs...

Blue

Post by Blue »

Fitting a Holley sniper is likely to achieve your goals for a lot less money and effort.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Blue wrote: Fri Jul 15, 22 8:30 pm Fitting a Holley sniper is likely to achieve your goals for a lot less money and effort.
Totally agree, unless you want more gears and a wider Cylinder head, and a shed load more complexity.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
morgan

Post by morgan »

Blue wrote: Fri Jul 15, 22 8:30 pm Fitting a Holley sniper is likely to achieve your goals for a lot less money and effort.
Well that was 'planA' - I even had one in my basket on my last trip to the US. The trouble is that *may* fix the smell but what I didnt want to do was go down that route only to find I still need a refesh and a cam downgrade blah blah ... more money and hassle and might not be there still. I do love the idea of a sniper though - I'm just not sure the engine in its current form is ideal. I dunno. Never used one !

I really am just thinking out loud at this stage. Which is the joy of the forum of course. I've had her over 16 years now and I'm hoping for another 16 ( :) ) but its clear to me I will have to do something at some point. Given the way the world is shifting is a modern swap the best plan.
Last edited by morgan on Fri Jul 15, 22 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morgan

Post by morgan »

Pete wrote: Fri Jul 15, 22 8:42 pm
Totally agree, unless you want more gears and a wider Cylinder head, and a shed load more complexity.
No. Your hemi-in-a-challenger clearance stories have scared me enough. :lol:

Blue

Post by Blue »

Fuel injection and engine management will give you current combo modern manners, the full Holley sniper system will give you that.
70GMC

Post by 70GMC »

Morgan speak with the guy ( on here who now owns my old Charger )he’s gone down the sniper route with it and last conversation I had was there was a big increase in fuel consumption- reliability and better performance.
Although I’m running a Chevy block these days this is the direction I’m also seriously considering .
Rich.
morgan

Post by morgan »

70GMC wrote: Sat Jul 16, 22 2:47 pm Morgan speak with the guy ( on here who now owns my old Charger )he’s gone down the sniper route with it and last conversation I had was there was a big increase in fuel consumption- reliability and better performance.
Although I’m running a Chevy block these days this is the direction I’m also seriously considering .
Rich.
I saw your old car in a thread the other day. Will dig it up. Thanks Rich.

colinhammond04

Post by colinhammond04 »

I did put the holly sniper in the Charger with the management and distributor runs really well with the big cam /stroker engine certainly noticed the difference starters first time every time definitely going to do it with my current charger I’m building

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
colinhammond04

Post by colinhammond04 »

morgan

Post by morgan »

Thanks Colin. Yes, I think its the way to go - just got to decide if I calm the rest of it a bit first.
I suppose there is no harm in doing it and then seeing if its OK. Worse case it comes off while I do the oily bits then back on.

Is that Richs old Charger in the red ??!?

colinhammond04

Post by colinhammond04 »

No it’s one that was for sale on here last year