Cars Wanted for NEC Show 10th -12th NOV 2017

Post photos from past events here.

Moderator: Moderators

adrianp

Re: Cars Wanted for NEC Show 10th -12th NOV 2017

Post by adrianp »

Blue wrote: Thu Nov 16, 17 8:58 pm I think the public want pristine, that's what they've paid thier money to see.
I dunno about that Blue, I wouldn't consider my car pristine by any stretch but when I was there last year I had some decent chats with quite a few people over the three days. I'd not been before (as a visitor or a participant) so it's difficult for me to know what 'normal' is in terms of how many people stop and have a natter but I remember being busy. Sometimes, I think, different/interesting is enough but it's personal - some do want pristine but there seemed to be room for both. Well, that's my one time experience for what it's worth :)

adrian.
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

I think anything that is different to your everyday car would be interesting to look at.

When people pay their money to get to NEC they are expecting to see something they would not see in the car park for free.

So our cars are different for sure, but they still need to look and bring excitement.

a WOW factor is important, I think.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Well I suppose pristine is a subjective term Adrian, lets say they expect a certain level then. Probably a show like this should be a mixture of the attainable and the unattainable to appeal to the widest audience.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
R.RUNNER

Post by R.RUNNER »

What about the "BARN FINDS" :-k :-k :-k they are not pristine!!!!!!! I noticed at the NEC ,this year, the standard of restored cars has risen greatly, but the used cars are more interesting as they are not shut away in a garage and have a visual story to tell................................................. sorry to "WAFFLE" on ,but my point is, all exhibits are interesting to someone :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

:P :P :P
I`M PROUD TO BE AN ENGLISHMAN.......WITH A `68 GTX
Pete

Post by Pete »

Agreed, Andy; I think it is about finding that balance on a display.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

Just a few musings... apologies in advance for the lack of coherence...
I just wanted to touch on a few of the points raised re: things we could do to make the stand more attractive.
I've just this morning learned from the club chairman of the JEC that they spent 5 grand on their NEC stand this year and £800 of that came out of the chairmans own pocket. I know the figure is accurate as I know the chairman and used to be a JEC member some years ago.
Now, with their massive membership base that kind of expenditure isn't going to make a dent in their club finances. Heck, they raffle a Jag off every year at this event and I don't think the number of tickets sold ever covers the cost of the car and this is a completely separate expenditure on top of the club stand?

We all know the NEC charge for absolutely everything - even stupid stuff like access to power. They'd probably bill clubs for the oxygen in the air if they could!!! I'm not privy to the club accounts, but I suspect a £5k layout on one event would likely hurt our club quite a bit. IMHO, our subs are far better spent on things that benefit us day to day like this forum and the magazine than an all singing and all dancing NEC stand.
That being said, there are some things that might be worth exploring? I think the pop up banners and flags that Matt bought are really good and I think they will survive well - certainly they looked no worse for wear than last year when they were new. They were, imho, a good investment.

One issue was mentioned in another thread was the NEC black flooring... One thing the Morris Marina club have done is to invest in some reusable carpet tiles just for this event. I think they bill came in at just over £300 - but you're talking about very small cars on a very small stand. Our club would obviously have to invest a little more if we went this route. The carpet tiles were settled on as if one is soiled or damaged it can be easily chucked and replaced and the remainder can be re-used year on year. They should also enjoy a nice long life - I've used these things in garages and they work quite well. There is the small matter of storing and transporting them to consider, though?

I think if we genuinely want to improve the club stand then I think we need to have a serious discussion about how we can achieve that and how much we want to spend on this one event. On a positive note, one thing we're definately not short on is quality cars, enthusiasm for the marque and a strong sense of cameraderie. So, in that regard as a club I think we're a long way ahead of a lot of other clubs out there.
It's the people that make this club. I've yet to see anyone have a propper fall out on the forum whereas a lot of other clubs I've been a part of there are spats several times a day and it's always about nothing important. Not here, though. It's a genuinely nice thing to be a part of and that's why I'll be renewing my membership again and continue to offer any support I can.
-Jon.
R.RUNNER

Post by R.RUNNER »

Pete wrote: Fri Nov 17, 17 2:57 pm I think it is about finding that balance on a display.
If you are thinking of attracting new members, that will happen as a matter of coarse, anyone who wants to get into the American car scene, and craves style with performance, will be a "MOPAR" fan and join the MMA anyway :plymouth: :plymouth: :plymouth:

:P :P :P

Good topic.......................................................let`s see where it goes 8-[ 8-[ 8-[
I`M PROUD TO BE AN ENGLISHMAN.......WITH A `68 GTX
Steve

Post by Steve »

I get very bored very quickly with pristine cars but I do see where Blue is coming from. We had Chengs Roadrunner on our stand a couple of years ago and it caused a real stir. Its probably as far from pristine as you can get and almost everyone I spoke to said it was great to see a car with a lifetime of bumps and bruises. I find myself skimming over the stands full of cars that were better than they ever were from the factory and gravitating towards the unusual, original, useable cars and projects. I hate not being able to get to see the cars or being ignored by the stand 'minders' when I ask a question about a car.

Im planning on getting Xmas out of the way and putting a call out for any donations of old number plates etc that we can use to make some decent displays etc. That's a new thread in the New Year I think but hoping we can rally together and I can up my game at the show next year

Cheers Steve :thumbright: :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
pinoccio

Post by pinoccio »

hi all. like steve says. people ive met at military shows. il add here im also a german world war 2 nut. I have had a kubelwagen that I restored over a 4 year period many many years ago. also I hand built a schwimmwagen 166. at the vw or military shows folk always say how much my kubel was nicer than the one next to mine simply because. I kept all the bangs and dents in the panels that were in them before I restored it. that way it looked like a used kubel. which it was. but not like a big model kit that some restorers seem to do. obviously our mopars are not military vehicles. but I do think a good on the road mopar is as good a car as a pristine car. but with a used look. and a good used looking mopar to the younger generation probably seems more attainable to them. than a pristine car. and thus could generate a little more idea in a youngsters head that. mabe he or she could have a mopar too. we must not forget that. we are all custodians of our cars. and hope the young new blood is going to be liking them. wanting them. and one day owning one or even two mopars. our club is getting bigger. and hopefully the younger generation will love there mopars for years to come as most here do. mabe like some clubs at the nec. have a section on there stand . say with a restored body panel. next to an unrestored panel of the same kind. backed up with photos. just an idea. but it could help. especially those who have little know how on restoring a car who come to the mopar stand at the shows. when there is room available for a little display of this nature. again. just an idea. regards reggie
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

The mix of cars is important, but i think a stand should look cool and welcoming it has to have flair besides the cars, the mma stand did just look like four cars parked on a black car park,,maybe hard for some to swallow but a fact, cost as i know is the clubs biggest issue,, but if you think most any other car shows / meets do not require dressing up so no cost, and if a continued showing at the nec is on the cards maybe money should be spent in this area,That way it does not look like a poverty club,,

any one got pics from previous mma nec stands ??????????
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Pete

Post by Pete »

I have supported the MMA stand for 9 years, and to the best of my knowledge there has never been an overlay on the NEC floor - the stand has always been on the NEC-provided black floor.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

Well this was 2016. The shape of the area the NEC alloted to the club was square rather than long and thin which I think lends itself to big cars like ours a little more, but I don't suppose we have much sway over that?
Attachments
IMG_0972.JPG
IMG_0972.JPG (133.6 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
IMG_0974.JPG
IMG_0974.JPG (147.06 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
IMG_0978.JPG
IMG_0978.JPG (130.26 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
IMG_0985.JPG
IMG_0985.JPG (128.28 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
-Jon.
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

I thought the signs and anything that attracts people into the stand is a good idea.

And yes a square space is much better than cars in a row, but that is not MMA choice, NEC gives you the space.

What Matt put out 2 years ago was great and a lot of people came to the stand, ;) ;)
Attachments
NEC classic car show 2015_2.JPG
NEC classic car show 2015_2.JPG (121.17 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

What about Blue's car and this..................................
Attachments
plymouth_barracuda.jpg
plymouth_barracuda.jpg (61.25 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
Blue

Post by Blue »

My cars are normally apart at this time of the year. But if it wasn't and you really want to lounge around on it in your mermaid outfit Ali, be my guest....
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”