Taking my muscle to Sweden and beyond ....

Post photos from past events here.

Moderator: Moderators

Garp

Taking my muscle to Sweden and beyond ....

Post by Garp »

Hi guys,
I know that there are many of you that hit the Swedish events and other places further afield.
I need to take the Challenger to Stockholm and then Tallinn to join my father in law with his big GMC van for a big US car meet.
I’ve driven a 1970 VW Baywindow camper to Moscow before but that didn’t have a 5.7lt V8 in it.
Needless to say, the more time spent on the ferry the better - how do you boys get to the Big Power Meet Lidkoping meet ?
Please don’t tell me to buy a Volvo and tow it !!!!
Constructive advice that saves money eagerly awaited.
Nob-end comments will be tolerated, but probably left unanswered.
:salute:
Aerodynamics are for people who can�t build engines
Super Sloth

Re: Taking my muscle to Sweden and beyond ....

Post by Super Sloth »

If you're trying to save a few pennys, I'd imagine a good rolling road tune up would be a useful way to spend £60.
Sweeter, more efficient running will make for a more pleasant journey too.
New HT components would be a good idea. Keep the old ones as spares as you've got known to be working parts on board. I keep reading about the ignition boxes on the firewall failing - might be a good idea to get hold of one of those if you've not got one? Brake hydraulic flush and general inspection would be a good idea.
That keeps you off the side of the road and out of unexpected hotel stays at least?
Tyre pressures affect MPG a lot on a long run...

Thing is - it's a big V8 and you can only achieve so much. At some point you've got to resign yourself to the fact that if you want to play with nice things you've got to be prepared to put your hand in your pocket? Sorry if that sounds a bit terse... I'm just trying to be pragmatic!
-Jon.
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

Great idea :thumbright:

I have been thinking about doing this trip for a number of years, but the most important item is a reliable car that can do 1000 -1500 miles without problems, that I have not had yet.

Once you have a reliable car then money for smiles per mile, is secondary for me.

It doesn't matter if you save £100 in fuel or not, it is the experience of doing it that counts and stays with you.
Blue

Post by Blue »

There aren't many ferry choices to Sweden these day so I have read. Motorama on here should be able to advise, think he goes out there most years.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
charger01

Post by charger01 »

What gear set are you running in the diff? Thats where you will save on mpg.
Motorama

Post by Motorama »

Blue wrote: Fri Jan 19, 18 7:03 am There aren't many ferry choices to Sweden these day so I have read. Motorama on here should be able to advise, think he goes out there most years.
Indeed I do, have only missed the Power Meet once in the last 20 years, have driven there and back 10 times, 9 of them in 50s car and last year in a 05 Mustang Convertible as we were going to do a tour of Norway after and wanted to cover more ground each day.

All the Scandinavian ferries are gone now bar a cargo boat from Immingham to Gothenburg which doesn't take passengers. For the last few years the only options have been ferry or Chunnel to France and drive all the way up or a little shorter is the Harwich to Hook of Holland, around 1000 miles from off the boat to Stockholm, a little less to Lidkopimg
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

charger01 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 18 5:37 pm What gear set are you running in the diff? Thats where you will save on mpg.
Ditto if you can get your hands on a 3:23 rear gears that would net you around 12 to 13 mpg, maybe 15 if you keep your foot out of it,if you have 3:55 rear you will got through a lot of fuel,what gears do you have? btw sounds like a great trip, very envious :thumbright:
MattH

Post by MattH »

drewcrane wrote: Tue Jan 23, 18 2:39 pm
charger01 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 18 5:37 pm What gear set are you running in the diff? Thats where you will save on mpg.
Ditto if you can get your hands on a 3:23 rear gears that would net you around 12 to 13 mpg, maybe 15 if you keep your foot out of it,if you have 3:55 rear you will got through a lot of fuel,what gears do you have? btw sounds like a great trip, very envious :thumbright:
12- 13 ?? I run 3.23 in my 318 Challenger (2 barrel) and going to Le Mans (800 miles) and Lake District (600 ish return) I get about 20-21 mpg - But I am talking UK Gallons, not US gallons. Maybe that's the difference, but Drew is running a BB I think!
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

MattH wrote: Wed Jan 24, 18 7:04 pm
drewcrane wrote: Tue Jan 23, 18 2:39 pm
12- 13 ?? I run 3.23 in my 318 Challenger (2 barrel) and going to Le Mans (800 miles) and Lake District (600 ish return) I get about 20-21 mpg - But I am talking UK Gallons, not US gallons. Maybe that's the difference, but Drew is running a BB I think!
Yes I am running a 7.2 liter engine that hurts(I spent over 3k on fuel the last VP trip) alot if you can squeeze 19 or 20 ,that will be affordable,sounds like a ton of fun,very envious
Gas for GOSH

Post by Gas for GOSH »

We drove a 1970s Plymouth Volare to Vasteras from the Channel Tunnel. One tip from that - we took an electric fan off a Vauxhall with us and when we had overheating problems we connected that and ran it all the time. Depends how much room you've got in the engine bay and the boot for spares.
"Now some guys they just give up living - start dieing little by little, piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up, then go racing in the streets...." Bruce Springsteen
Motorama

Post by Motorama »

No response from the OP? :tumbleweed:
R.RUNNER

Post by R.RUNNER »

The diff gearing change looks the cheapest and best idea.......2.76 ratio is the way to go :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

Give "DUNC" a call [-o< [-o< [-o<

:P :P :P
I`M PROUD TO BE AN ENGLISHMAN.......WITH A `68 GTX