Am thinking of moving on

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

Carl

Am thinking of moving on

Post by Carl »

I have been thinking for a while about hanging up my Mopar hat and moving on to pastures new. Dont get me wrong I love the cars and the community but feel i am not getting what I would like out of the car, a lot of it maybe down to me as i dont use the car as much as I would like to, or in the way I would like to. Im craving for a bit more exitment and enjoyment out of a car other than just using the car a few times a year. Therefore the thoughts of moving on to something a bit more exciting for me, I fancy MGB GT Racing V8 obviously as I have always been a fan of the MGB GT V8 well pretty much most of the classic British sports cars as well as American Muscle.But I admit I am torn and Know I would miss the Roadrunner and the community.
Your thoughts please, Ladies and Gents.
Attachments
IMG_8020.jpg
IMG_8020.jpg (52.07 KiB) Viewed 6365 times
Petty Roadrunner 416 Stroker 4 Speed
*MMA-609*
"Built to be driven!"

Why me??? :banghead:
Pete

Re: Am thinking of moving on

Post by Pete »

Do what ever you feel is best and what puts a smile on your face, make the most of your time.

If you wanted to race you could go in to "Bernies V'8s" and / or SRGT competition.

I can help you out with info on that.

OR...go for a TVR, they do very well in that series.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Difficult one Carl.

If it has to be one vehicle only then follow your instincts as that will be the path to happiness.

Personally I have found having more than one car keeps the interest level up in all of them,they don’t have to be expensive,just a bit different in my experience.
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

You have to do what you have to do.
If you want any advice on the MG front drop me a PM. I've had 25 odd of 'em now both factory built V8's and I also did a conversion.

One word about racing MG's... If you're looking at getting into a class rather than sprint / hillclimbs then you might find the MGB classes a bit of a procession. They tend to sort out the order on the first lap or so and thats about it. If you want really close racing with plenty of overtaking... look at the MG Metro class.
OK... now you've stopped laughing go on youtube and have a look for yourself. Better yet, get yourself down to the track and spectate next time the MGOC / MGCC are racing and see for yourself which class looks the most fun.
-Jon.
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Id keep the RR but then im biased.
Id certainly not drop it for an MG V8. Like others have said its up to you.

As an ex TVR owner its a great shout for a sideways move from your Mopar. It has the American brutish charm with a bit of English engineering involved.

You could probably get an ex racing Tuscan for mid teens if you just want to race. If you want road going then worlds your oyster.

Thought about doing a Yank race car?
Id go Ford or Chevy due to parts ££.
Mustang racer sounds good to me or a Falcon. Mustang parts being easily attainable.

As they say on the game show 'The choice is yours'! :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
andyrob

Post by andyrob »

It costs, costs and cost to go circuit racing, but you will love it and everything else will play second fiddle, and it will take over your life......I know been there and done it and still love it.
Best to buy something cheap & cheerfull to learn to race, with more grip than go, this will teach you more than just blasting down the straight, then once you think you can drive the wheels off your under powered bean can, buy a powerfull car.
however your RR will always keep it money where as a race car will eat your cash probably quicker than you can ever make it.
only you know what you really want
life is not a spectator sport

www.andyrobinson.eu
andy robinson

68 572 coronet RT
72 440 chrysler new yorker
69 518 daytona
andyrob

Post by andyrob »

Just reading the above, yes as much as I hate them, the Metro championship would be a good cheap place to starts or the MG ZR's all within the same club,They both do have close racing

www.andyrobinson.eu
andy robinson

68 572 coronet RT
69 518 daytona
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Got to follow your heart mate.
My choice would be running the RR up the 1/4 just for fun. Race your own times. Still a buzz, and won't take all your time /money.
Drive up. Play for a day. Drive home.
Like I said. Follow your heart.
Best of luck , and enjoy whatever path you choose :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
andyrob

Post by andyrob »

id say keep the RR as is and buy a £3000 metro race car to try it

www.andyrobinson.eu
andy robinson

68 572 coronet RT
69 518 daytona
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

andyrob wrote: Mon Jun 25, 18 10:48 pm id say keep the RR as is and buy a £3000 metro race car to try it
Fair comment.
Then he gets hooked , and what happens to the Runner ?
Rots on the driveway ?????

I'd rather the Runner sold to chase a new path if I'm honest
Hate to see any car / bike/ whatever, sitting for use.
I'm not one to talk , but obviously priority grabs hold of all of us.
If for whatever reason , the Mopar buzz goes , then let it go.
Everyone has dreams , can't chase all of them in one life !!

Well I can't ! :D
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Carl

Post by Carl »

Pete wrote: Fri Jun 22, 18 1:58 pm Do what ever you feel is best and what puts a smile on your face, make the most of your time.

If you wanted to race you could go in to "Bernies V'8s" and / or SRGT competition.

I can help you out with info on that.

OR...go for a TVR, they do very well in that series.
Thanks Pete I had a look at Bernies V8s competition, looks interesting regulations say Engines are free so there will be some pretty powerful machines to race against and a mixed bag of cars and classes too. I need to find out a bit more on this Formula
*MMA-609*
"Built to be driven!"

Carl

Post by Carl »

Captain Chaos wrote: Fri Jun 22, 18 10:03 pm Difficult one Carl.

If it has to be one vehicle only then follow your instincts as that will be the path to happiness.

Personally I have found having more than one car keeps the interest level up in all of them,they don’t have to be expensive,just a bit different in my experience.
Hi Stuart, In an ideal world I would love to keep the RR and have my Race car too but I lack the space also the funds from the RR will be used to finance the race car. So the RR may well be going up for sale soon.
*MMA-609*
"Built to be driven!"

Pete

Post by Pete »

Cheng races his Cobra in Bernie's V8's and organises the SRGT. His cobra was dynoed at 645hp at ICE.
It gives you an idea at the level of competition.

If you think Drag racing at RWYB is expensive, it is entry level compared to circuit racing...prepare to have VERY deep pockets, or be completely uncompetitive.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Carl

Post by Carl »

Super Sloth wrote: Sat Jun 23, 18 11:09 pm You have to do what you have to do.
If you want any advice on the MG front drop me a PM. I've had 25 odd of 'em now both factory built V8's and I also did a conversion.

One word about racing MG's... If you're looking at getting into a class rather than sprint / hillclimbs then you might find the MGB classes a bit of a procession. They tend to sort out the order on the first lap or so and thats about it. If you want really close racing with plenty of overtaking... look at the MG Metro class.
OK... now you've stopped laughing go on youtube and have a look for yourself. Better yet, get yourself down to the track and spectate next time the MGOC / MGCC are racing and see for yourself which class looks the most fun.
Hi Jon More ideas to consider now lol, other than circuit racing the sprinting would be a consideration. Your obviously an MG V8 fan too so you may be hearing from me, I have thought about doing the V8 conversion as factory V8s are fetching high prices now and ready made Race cars dont come up for sale that often, so the V8 conversion may be an option.

Yes I plan to go and watch a few races and have looked at all the different formulae, my mate is a huge BMW fan and plans to do the BMW 330 challenge which is probably the only one I wouldnt do as im not a BMW fan, I will probably stick with the MGB as I love em.
*MMA-609*
"Built to be driven!"

Carl

Post by Carl »

Pete wrote: Fri Jun 29, 18 2:05 pm Cheng races his Cobra in Bernie's V8's and organises the SRGT. His cobra was dynoed at 645hp at ICE.
It gives you an idea at the level of competition.

If you think Drag racing at RWYB is expensive, it is entry level compared to circuit racing...prepare to have VERY deep pockets, or be completely uncompetitive.
Okay that helps my decision I wont be competing at that level in that series, thankfully there are other clubs and series like the MGCC BCV8 Championship which is lower budget racing.
*MMA-609*
"Built to be driven!"