MattH

Post by MattH »

Good find. :thumbright:
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Blue

Post by Blue »

Big payday for someone then. I wonder just how much of the original car was left before they "restored" it considering it had been crashed and supposedly scrapped after the film was made...
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
mustangbooks

Post by mustangbooks »

This is the best account of it I've found so far:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/long-los ... nd-mexico/

They started making it into an Eleanor and have removed some of the rotted original panels like the roof, but it sounds like they may try to repair the panels to make it as original as possible:

"Many casting code and date code parts have been found and I'm sure as the restoration starts they will have most of what they need.. Some of the body parts removed may be fixed and refitted to the car. Ralph wanted to have the car ready for the Mexicali event and instead of the standard primer I gave him the idea to use the Highland Green without the clear. The car will be blasted and prepped so the paint does not matter that went on the car. They are going to have it done to movie set resto condition. That means even with cameras if possible." - from a friend of the current owner.
Raminduction

Post by Raminduction »

There were 2 cars - the other one was sold to a Warner Bros employee after the movie. He then sold it on and it passed through a few different owners before the present owner purchased it for a bargain price in 1972.

Apparently Steve McQueen himself attempted to buy the car back several times from the current owner back in the late 70's but his offers were refused. His son Chad McQueen has also attempted to buy the car back and offered the current owner a 6 figure sum but the new owner refused the offer. He purchased it for a reported $10,000 ? back in 1972 - he is now a successful business man and doesnt need the cash ( VIN No 8R02S125559 )
what a hell of an investment though !!

The car is currently hidden away in a secret location and the owner has said he will only present the car to the public once more if Ford build an official Mustang Museum. Bit unfair really but what a brilliant way to drive the price up for the future.

This is a must read

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured ... g-bullitt/
morgan

Post by morgan »

I call bull. I know I am a cynical man but it doesnt stack. I like a good treasure story as much as the next guy - but the holy-grail-of-movie-cars happens to show up in time for the 50th anniversary.
And just like lee1, rather than leave it as it is (it'll only be like it once) they rip it apart, replace all the bits and triggers broom it - spray it.

If its real (and I dont think for a second it is) thats a crying shame.
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Raminduction

Post by Raminduction »

Another great read.........

http://www.hottr6.com/triumph/BULLITT.html

Quote - Max Balchowsky

"The Charger ran rings around the Mustang. We trimmed the tires down (on the Charger), we practically made them down to bicycle tires to try and handicap Hickman"

Raminduction

Post by Raminduction »

morgan wrote:I call bull. I know I am a cynical man but it doesnt stack. I like a good treasure story as much as the next guy - but the holy-grail-of-movie-cars happens to show up in time for the 50th anniversary.
And just like lee1, rather than leave it as it is (it'll only be like it once) they rip it apart, replace all the bits and triggers broom it - spray it.

If its real (and I dont think for a second it is) thats a crying shame.

The VIN seems to tell the truth ? I know where your coming from though as it was a very similar situation with the bullitt Charger that was found.

http://bringatrailer.com/2013/01/14/mil ... e-charger/

http://www.ponysite.de/charger_welch.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Raminduction on Wed Mar 08, 17 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
morgan

Post by morgan »

Yeah, I followed the Welch charger one.
That actually looked a bit more convincing to be honest - I seem to recall there was no vin confirmation of movie records - but the circumstantial evidence was fairly tight (mounting rigs, paint layers, that sort of thing).

Dont get me wrong, I'd love to believe it. But it would have been a better story with a few hundred 'as is' pics and evidence than just another restored mustang with the claim of a vin.

I saw lee1 pre-restoration and it was an item of interest. The cut-n-shut it got turned into was not :(
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
mad machs

Post by mad machs »

morgan wrote:I call bull. I know I am a cynical man but it doesnt stack.
+1

Good story of course...
Mike that is called Mike.

69 Dodge A108
73 Mach1 Mustang
Raminduction

Post by Raminduction »

The last scene of the car chase was filmed on Guadalupe canyon Rd in Brisbane California.

You can follow the full route on google maps.

Heres a Link to the section of the road were the Charger got shoved into the petrol station at the end of the chase - its a Business Plaza now !!

If you click the link and drop the little man onto the T junction - the petrol station was where the EXA building is.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@37.69291 ... 312!8i6656

muzzydave

Post by muzzydave »

triggers broom comes to mind :D
Blue

Post by Blue »

I looked up the filming locations last time I was in San Francisco and found the hotel we were staying in was on one of the streets used. So we had a walk around some of the rest of the route for about 7 hours, hard work but loved it.I'm sure we passed that Beetle several times....
muzzydave

Post by muzzydave »

Blue wrote:I looked up the filming locations last time I was in San Francisco and found the hotel we were staying in was on one of the streets used. So we had a walk around some of the rest of the route for about 7 hours, hard work but loved it.I'm sure we passed that Beetle several times....
find any hub caps ..lol :D
Blue

Post by Blue »

Hundreds.....