Facebook rant

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

Lincrafts.com

Re: Facebook rant

Post by Lincrafts.com »

Facebook group where members of here can post? Would it be possible to set up a closed group where only MMA members can post, ask a question before joining such as membership number before being allowed in.

The "noise" aspect can be controlled with a good admin team.
Present:
1973 Plymouth Roadrunner
2010 Chrysler 300c SRT
Past:
1999 Dodge Dakota RT
1973 Plymouth 'Cuda :(
Johnny Dart

Post by Johnny Dart »

I have had a break from my Dart project recently, but still have looked in every so often.
I've now re joined and hopefully make some more progress, when my Cortina project gets further ahead.
I love the Forum, and The topics give me the renewed enthusiasm sometimes need to get on with things.
The Forum is much more personal than Facebook, with recognisable character's who are very knowledgeable.

Long Live The Forum.
Down With Facebook :)
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

I am a member on UK Mopars as well as here but would consider myself an MMA Member foremost. I check in here morning and evening and enjoy the personal easier going nature of the Forum and it is undoubtedly the best resource of information.FB is fine and there are some really nice people on the Uk Mopar's page but there certainly is a lot more noise as alluded to here earlier.

I was for several years a moderator on Beermountain.com,a Le Mans Forum designed to help with all aspects of visiting the race.It sadly closed earlier this year due to lack of traffic and costs,the FB page that ran alongside it and replaced it is not a patch on the old Forum,the information that was held on it was gold in my opinion,now gone.

We have something most excellent and rare in this day and age,all we need to do is keep using it.
RM23

Post by RM23 »

Been a member 20 yrs you're all good folks love the mag love my gtx convertible Adam Ford got me into mopars when I was a kid papa del is great long live the Mma cheers all by the way I'm not on ass book 📙 :thumbright:
watch out for the quiet ones ...
Blue

Post by Blue »

Facebook has its uses, I'm in contact with people I would never have been by other means, but it's no resource for history and information. UK Mopars might have 5000 members but how many contribute, 50? 100? Even easier to just read there than here. Facebook is free, quick and lazy which is its downside as well. I use Facebook and I will always be an active member here, the two can run side by side IMO.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Demon James

Post by Demon James »

I will always refer to this forum for advice and opinion, also posting photos of any work progress for some tea break reading :)

However, here's an example from today. I went to post a 2 min video clip from last weekend at Santapod but no video files show in my folder and it all seemed like aggro. I posted said clip on facebook from my PC in seconds, job done. Also shared it straight away to UK Mopars and Nomad Drag racing.

So for sharing pictures and vids I am drawn to Facebook unfortunately (from my PC).

Workshop and build pictures will always be posted on here as this is a far better format for reference and without doubt far better to return to at a later date for info.

The jibes/comedy is more personal here and I have always enjoyed the atmosphere and more refined advice.

To be honest, I don't really post a great deal on either platform but I still call in here with a cuppa 2 or 3 times a week :) (Lots of love needed, a tall order being one of my favourite reads and you don't get stories like that on facebook)

The forum and MMA will continue to get my support, keep up the good work people :thumbright: :thumbright: :mytwocents:
Derek

Post by Derek »

Demon James wrote: Wed Oct 09, 19 11:10 am I will always refer to this forum for advice and opinion, also posting photos of any work progress for some tea break reading :)

However, here's an example from today. I went to post a 2 min video clip from last weekend at Santapod but no video files show in my folder and it all seemed like aggro. I posted said clip on facebook from my PC in seconds, job done. Also shared it straight away to UK Mopars and Nomad Drag racing.

So for sharing pictures and vids I am drawn to Facebook unfortunately (from my PC).

Workshop and build pictures will always be posted on here as this is a far better format for reference and without doubt far better to return to at a later date for info.

The jibes/comedy is more personal here and I have always enjoyed the atmosphere and more refined advice.

To be honest, I don't really post a great deal on either platform but I still call in here with a cuppa 2 or 3 times a week :) (Lots of love needed, a tall order being one of my favourite reads and you don't get stories like that on facebook)

The forum and MMA will continue to get my support, keep up the good work people :thumbright: :thumbright: :mytwocents:
You can copy the URL from Facebook and put that on to here, job done.
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
Derek

Post by Derek »

Well at least this has got us talking about what you want :thumbright: , we as a small club seem to be doing better than on facebook, I put the question on there and out of the 5000 members in the UK Mopar group 37 people have replied so far, that's less than 1% :( where as on here we have had 22 people reply and that comes out around 15% :) , I hope I'm doing my maths right, If I'm not I'm sure someone will tell me. [-o<

People, please note this was in no way a dig at UK Mopars as it has been sugested in a PM on Facebook, we are not in a competition with anyone.
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
Blue

Post by Blue »

We are comparing & discussing different 2 platforms, no reason for anyone to consider that a dig or get all tribal over it.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

yeah the last thing we want is someone getting the wrong end of the stick and exposing the end of it to 5000 people

dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Still not wrinkled ...aint going anywhere, :argue: where is the pop corn....?
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

I have read all the answers on UK Mopar to Del's question and I think it proves the two different platforms.

FB - quick answer as life is too busy and on the move

FORUM - sit down, relaxed, take your time to read and digest, and possible answer

hard to decide which is best :-k

I'll take the relaxed way, when time allows.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Great thread and very relevant in todays world of technology.

Im not a fan of social media and don't use any of it. I love this forum (though, due to a new business venture, I don't visit much at the moment).

I would not be enjoying my car without the years of help Ive had on here and am incredibly grateful to all, and Ive made some great friends too!

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Charger

Post by Charger »

I’ve been a member here 14 years, I’m also on UK MOPARS and a number of other FB Mopar groups

Going back to Del’s original question; “Why am I seeing posts on Facebook ie photos, questions, events from members that I don't see on here or they turned up on here afterwards”

I’ve noticed this from time to time for quite a while, I find it disappointing, just my opinion

I personally feel an allegiance to this club and always try to post here first

I very rarely post in FB groups, other than our local group the Rainy City Cruisers, mostly because I just don’t have time

there’s some great content on FB that otherwise I wouldn’t see, but along with the increased footfall there’s also a percentage of appallingly bad advice and info

Hypertext Preprocessor or PHP for short, on which this forum is based, was originally conceived in 1994, it has been developed and updated, works well, great for what it was intended for, but requires a little bit more effort, it was perceived and developed for the purposed we are using it today

FB is still wet behind the ears, it’s the modern way, quicker and easier for sure, and it comes to you, FB groups were really a bit of an afterthought

2 completely different animals with different target audiences and agendas

Comparing apples with pears never works

as already said this forum is a mine of information going back years

whereas with FB I mostly find what I read yesterday has disappeared today

our £30 / year subscription is for club membership, not just the forum, lets be clear about that, one or two comments to Del’s post over on FB assume the £30 is just for the forum :roll:

There is room for both

:thumbright:
Si
1970 Charger 500
383 | 4bbl | 727 column | PAS | PAB | buckets/buddy - check out my photos HERE

If you don't want another same old brand-new car ... you could be DODGE MATERIAL

1970 Dodge Charger Registry - https://www.1970chargerregistry.com/
Mark Rumble

Post by Mark Rumble »

I've commented on the FB post but thought I'd come & check in here as well,I'm on Facebook & run a group page for my Breakfast meet as well as an events page & am also a member of a few.. a lot of it is convenience as you can see posts from all the groups you're on in one place & can set your notifications so that you get updates from the ones you want to see.Both of my pages are set so that I have to approve posts as well as members meaning that they don't get spammed by idiots,if not of interest they get deleted which may be a better option for the club fb page rather than not letting anyone post new topics.
With regard to finding previous posts on Facebook there is a search option both in groups & fb in general so pretty easy to find past threads if you type in a couple of keywords.
That said I have & will offer anything for sale on here first & do come on here now & again for a browse,just not as often.. I haven't been on here long but will try & make an effort to post pics here as well as it would be a shame to lose the forum,it is as said a different animal though so can't really compare it to a free facebook group in terms of traffic